Sunday, January 3, 2021

December's Books (and a bit of art too)

Hi everyone. Happy  Sunday. How is the New Year going so far?

I thought I would start this post with another journal page for My Favorite Things challenge at  Art Journal Journey.


One of my favorite things is using quotes on my artwork, and here's a title from an article in an old FLOW magazine. I thought  it works great with this very sophisticated looking lady, like she is some famous actress or other personality telling us something important . 
I  also used a few assorted items that were taking up space on my work table to make this page; another thing I love is when I finally clean off a mess and have a bigger work space.  

Speaking of titles, my page today is a lead in to my December book post.

I liked how it worked writing a monthly book lists last year, so I am going to continue again this year. These are my December 2020 reads and listens.  If you're not interested, that's OK. I know some of you like to read book recommendations, as I do.


I started by listening to this book, Death on the Nile, but then decided I wanted read the actual book. So I dumped the audio version and dug through my shelves to find my ancient copy. I read many many Agatha Christies starting in high school right up into my twenties, and I've kept them all. Some of mine are still buried in some book boxes in my attic,  and some of them are on the book shelf. Luckily this one was on the shelf. I highly enjoyed this story, vaguely remembered who did it, and recommend this one!



Janet Evanovich has been writing these Stephanie Plum novels forever. The new one, #27, came out this year, but I am a year behind and read number 26. I must say for a light and fluffy book, they are fun to read, always make me laugh, and I keep on going back. Stephanie is a bail bondsman in Trenton, New Jersey and  she always has these adventures, like having her car blown up. You would think they would get old, but  they don't. I think it is her wonderful reoccurring characters like her parents, Grandma Mazur, Morelli and the super hot Ranger.  


Marley wasn't the lightest of books, but what a good book this is. Yes, Marley, as in  A Christmas Carol.   Jon Clinch writes in a style close to Dickens, and this story was a joy to listen to/read. It follows the story of how Marley and Ebenezer Scrooge  met, how they came into business together, and their lives.  Maybe by now as it is January this might not be something that interests you, but keep it in mind until December as it is  really worth the read, especially if you are a Dickens fan.


When I finished Marley, I was itching to listen to or read  A Christmas Carol  again. I found this one on Audible, and since I like Patrick Stewart  from Star Trek and X-Men fame (as well as other things), I picked it up. Wow. For me this was better than reading the book, which I have done a few times. Stewart did such a great job bringing the story to life. Listening right after  I finished the Marley novel, I  feel I have a bigger story. Smile. A few years ago I did listen  to another Marley story, Jacob T Marley by William Bennett, which goes into Marley's younger life. I also recommend that book, if not for this year, for next.



Mistletoe and Murder was an Audible freebie.  Set in the early 1920's at an British estate at Christmas, it was a nice little listen that I enjoyed. This is not the first book in the series, and I hadn't read any others, but I was able to follow along without any difficulties.  Since it was a freebie,  if it had been too hard to follow, I wouldn't have been out anything to return it.  If you are looking for something lighter but still well written and full of historical atmosphere, then this is a good choice.


Susan Branch's latest book is a novella about her 9 year old Christmas back in the 1950's. It is full of the nostalgia and all those wonderful things, like her drawings and fabulous quotes, expected from her books. It was a very quick read, not even a full afternoon, but an enjoyable holiday story.


The Sakura Obsession is a book I picked up early in the summer and that got buried in a pile of books on the floor next to my bed. It was time for a more "meaty" read after some fun but lighter books. The author, Naoko Abe,  is  a Japanese journalist who is married and lives in England. The book is a sort of sequel to one she wrote in Japanese about the Sakura, and then she revised and rewrote it in English for a non-Japanese audience.
 I didn't know a whole lot about Japanese history, and not that I am any expert now, but this book does give a nice overview and explains  some things  along the way. This  history is all tied into the Sakura or cherry tree blossoms that we associate with Japan. 
For me this book also tied into a book a read a few summers ago (The Food Explorer by Daniel Stone)  and also things I learned during my trip to Japan in the spring of 2018. 
I didn't know there was so many varieties of cherries, nor did I know how many had gone extinct in Japan, and had it not been for "Cherry" Ingram, a British self trained botanist, they wouldn't be around now.
It is clearly written and very readable. I very much enjoyed it and highly recommend it if you are looking for a non-fiction read about flowers, botany  or Japan.


While reading about the Sakura or cherry blossoms, I listened to this fun mystery.


This is the first Amelia Peabody mystery book which was published in the 1970s. I had read it maybe 30 years ago and have read a few others from this series. It was a good refresher for me, as I haven't read any in this series for many years.  This one starts in the late 1800's and is set in Egypt, as are the bulk of the stories. The author, Elizabeth Peters (pseudonym for Barbara Mertz) actually had a PhD in Egyptology ( she passed away a few years back), so the book has some nice factual background. I love that Amelia Peabody is such a strong willed lady. I did enjoy this book and hope to relisten to or reread some other Amelia Peabody mysteries.

It was a good book month for me. Did you read anything worth recommending?

Thanks for visiting.














16 comments:

craftytrog said...

Some great festive reads, and your page is gorgeous Erika! I love the quote.
Alison xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Erica, for sharing more of your favorite reads. I recently finished listening to Our House by Louise Candlish, which I enjoyed. Other recent reads included I Let You Go and Let Me Lie by Claire Mackintosh,Something in the Water and Mr Nobody by Catherine Steadman, Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse, Dear Mrs Bird by AJ Pearce, and currently listening to Death in Mayfair. Most of my reads have been ebooks and audiobooks downloaded from the local library website.

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful page. The sophisticated lady also looks very futuristic. The Clinch Marley book sounds interesting. Maybe after I clean the mess from the studio. Hopefully, not much snow tonight.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika, I enjoy your book lists-and I usually go through them and look them up on amazon-I have a kindle but have never done the audible-don't know how to even get set up for that.
I love Susan Branch, I have one of her Christmas books from many many years ago. checking into the cherry blossom one too thanks Happy new week

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Golly, Erika. I LOVE a good mystery and they all sound good to me. I've read Death on the Nile several times, but the rest are all new to me. also the story about saving the cherry trees. That sounds fascinating. You picked some great ones for December.

I really LOVE your journal page, too. It's eerily suggestive of the times we live in, too. I really enjoyed it and the quote which is a perfect way to start the new year. Thanks for another inspiring entry for your theme at Art Journal Journey, dear.

Jeanie said...

That's a good pile of books. I need to re-read Christie. She started me on mysteries and she always shines. I just finished the most wonderful "Finding Chika" by Mitch Albom. It won't be in next week's 2020 book wrap because I read it in 2021 but oh, it's wonderful. I read mysteries in December, another Elly griffiths, Nine Lessons by Nicola Upson and Plaid and Plagiarism -- a cozy that wasn't particularly a great mystery but an easy read when there was a lot on the calendar!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I must say that I don't consider a journal page finished until I add words. Some pages actually wait a long time until I add words! This really is a fabulous page and I am willing to listen to this glamorous lady - that's a great message of hope!
Oh my! I am impressed with the amount of reading you got done, maybe I spend too much time reading newspapers and magazines!
I can certainly see some books here I would like to read! I've been reading quite a few fiction books based on the Wars of the Roses.
Take care, Chrisxx

Divers and Sundry said...

Marley's pov would make for a fascinating read! I've read and enjoyed a couple or 3 of the Amelia Peabody books and enjoyed them but don't think I kept them. I got carried away with Marie Kondo ;)

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing these books.
My reading (of books) seems to have slowed down a little, but I'm looking forward to working through my short pile soon!

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wasn't sure which would be quicker, but I thought I'd go ahead and leave this here. You don't have to publish this. Scott stopped by about an hour ago and dropped off my groceries. He also helped me get some wood from my garage so I could make some assemblages. When he left, I baked a pie (put it in the oven) and remembered I hadn't checked my mail since Thursday. It has been too cold and ice laden to go outside until today. It was seriously icy and scary on my front porch.

Having said all that, I wanted you to know I have received your gift. I haven't opened it yet, but the package was torn and it looks like a die is in it. I have my post ready for Tuesday because I'm doing my annual review, but I will show it in two weeks. It's too dark to photograph it before I open it, but I am off to do that as soon as I thank you. Thank you, dear friend, but you did NOT have to do that. Seriously, you are far, far, far too kind to me. I can NEVER repay you for your kindness and friendship.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not ONE, buy TWO dies. WOW. I know I'll use the little houses. I'm sure I'll use the pipe, too, since it appeals to my engineering side. Thank you for those. Also, thank you for the lovely napkins and the little bag of goodies. I have always wanted one of those cardboard covers on glass milk jars. Now I have two of those, too. You are far too generous, dear. Thank you beyond belief, dear friend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page and a great selection of books. Reading opens up new worlds for us! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I just got the last FLOW magazine and it took me hours to make the calendar - I didn´t even read through it, thank you for the reminder and this is a clever and very beautiful work.

I admit... I scrolled through your book-list. I have so many in line and I tend to fall for this! Way too dangerous!!!

I can recommend Wesley the Owl. Or any book on Freddie Mercury. Or Oh! Grinding it out, the making of Mc Donald´s, very inspiring man, that Ray Croc. Or Helen Keller´s book. She was deaf and blind yet learned to ride a bike, studied... amazing woman, even learned to talk!
Or... oh, I could go on forever.

nwilliams6 said...

Love your pink and green page. The quote is really thought-provoking and soooo true. Encourages me to think more about the day. Love the googly eyes, stamps, and that girl. Very fun and positive page. I want to read all these books - love seeing your book posts. I can't wait for retirement!!! Hugz

sirkkis said...

A beautiful page, Erika. And thanks for your book presentation.
Have a nice week ahead xx

Neet said...

Love your page Erika, I do like the lady you. chose to illustrate the quote. She is so attractive with that dark hair and those green eyes. Love the little things you have used in the front of her too - it all goes so well with the quote. I wonder what we did promise ourselves last month - wish it was something to do with getting Covid to go away by everyone.
Now your books sound quite interesting and I am not familiar with any of them but thought `I would look at the one with the lady in red on the cover. I think I went to the wrong person and ended up re4ading the same title but not Carola Dunn. Quite enjoyed but its aimed at teenagers. Shows a different side to me I think. I must grow up.
Hugs, Neet xx