Friday, January 15, 2021

Crayons, Ink and Paint


Hi everyone.  Happy Friday!

I've been slowly making my way through the Creative Jumpstart classes. I've watch  more videos than I have created art for, and I've learned quite a bit. I really like how everyday there is a new artist with an approximate 10 minute video. Everyday is a lot to keep up with for me, but I'm working at my own pace and time schedule. No stress, no pressure.

Today's art is from Day 5, and  guest artist Birgit Koopsen's class was called the Distance is Only Physical.
This page began by writing with a crayon on some watercolor paper, and then brushing on some Distress Inks from the refill bottles  (over the crayon marks). Although I remember learning about doing this technique years ago, it has been a very long time since I used it. It was fun to rediscover it.

Then we were instructed use acetate to make a mask. The video talked about tracing a body shape from a magazine page, but I drew my own and cut them out. We were then  to use black paint to cover some of the background around the mask to leave some exposed crayon writing.

I  didn't like how my black page looked, even adding in some of the other details introduced in  the class video. I ended up adding more paint and then rubbing some off some of the partially dried paint  to show bits of the writing. I also did some stamping with a row of plastic circles as well as using wax pencils and a bit more paint for the details.

There's not much left of the assignment left on my page . After all my fussing about I like the new background, but I am not crazy about my masked people. Perhaps I should have just painted over them, but it was worth staying at least a little bit true to the lesson.

However, I made 2 more pages based on this class. I'm saving one for another day, but this next page I really like.  I even used the same mask, but I love how these ladies look in their  dresses. (I cut out one upper body and 2 different bottoms-one with pants and one with a skirt).


This time I used bronze metallic paint rather than black. 

I'm linking up to Art Journal Journey and the Favorite Things challenge.  Two of my favorite things is learning something new and rediscovering forgotten techniques. 

Have a great start to your weekend.

 

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pages are great, glad you are enjoying your course. The second page with the lighter background is my fave. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Looks like you're having fun with those new/old techniques 😁. I love the crayon circles on the dresss and metallic paint. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

I like both of these Erika, but the second is my favourite. It's great that although you didn't necessarily use all of the techniques, Birgit's video 'jumpstarted' your pages.
I'm just about keeping up with the classes so far, and really enjoying all the different styles and techniques.
Happy Friday,
Alison xox

Elkes Lebensglück said...

You presented it fabulously, these great two pages.
I am glad that you had so much fun with the course.
Take care of yourself, hugs Elke

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Like playing with paper dolls. Stay warm and dry.

Jeanie said...

What an interesting sounding course and a fun way to stretch your creative techniques. I especially love the first one. That little girl's smile just speaks to me!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I absolutely LOVE both of these. They are so different from Alison's, the other person I know who is taking the class. I love the little girl at the top in the first one and I like how the second one isn't nearly as dark, and I think I like it because of the colors. It's been years since I've created a wax resist, but I sure love how you did yours. Thanks, too, for two more great pages for Art Journal Journey. You are ROCKING this month's entries.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It’s great to have found a course you enjoy, Erika. That said, it’s also interesting that so much of our daily life, even an art class, is focused on mask wearing. Don’t misunderstand, I totally agree with the need to do so in all public spaces and do comply but saddened to never see faces.

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool pages!!! I love your backgrounds, words, and people. I may have to try this. I am so impressed you are doing these classes and I so hope to take some one day too. Fun stuff. Hugz

Mrs.B said...

Sounds like you're having fun with this course and it's good to revisit old techniques. The pages look great and it's good to try the technique with different colours.
Avril xx

The Padre said...

Good On You And Hope The Videos Helped A Bunch - Also, Love The Clouds Post - Be Well

Cheers

Lowcarb team member said...

They look good, pleased you are enjoying the course.

All the best Jan

Neet said...

Both great but 'Seeing through a child's eye' is my favourite, there is something about those figures that draws me in. Such honest open faces. Unlike the next page where the stance is more or less the same but the face has more anger in it.
Lovely work
Hugs, Neet xx