Sunday, July 28, 2024

It's Sunday

 Hi everyone.  I hope you're having a great weekend. Our weather is beautiful, and  I finally got out and did some much much needed garden weeding yesterday morning. Right now I'm in a self-discussion about my big flower garden and how my tall phlox and bee balm have relocated (over the last few years) themselves to the sunny side. They don't look bad there, but they're so tall they're blocking the shorter plants. The question is, once the blooming season is over do I move them back to the other side of the garden or move the shorter plants?  Somehow I think in the long run it will be less work to move the shorter plants because I swear those phlox and bee balm have feet and walk. 😏

Here's a pre-weeding photo I took the other day to show you what I mean about the tall plants. Boy my garden looks wild! (And out of control too-grin)

Today I have a bit of art to share, both a journal page and a tag. Let me start with the tag.


      This time around Valerie is hosting at Tag Tuesday, and her theme is Summer Holidays.
     One thing I like to do in the summer is float around in the water, especially if it's hot. I'm sure lots of folks like a pool,lake or ocean to get wet in. That's the theme of my Summer Holidays tag. I started by using a stencil and some blue ink. Then I used a new die set that I recently splurged on. I really liked the floating lady (by Concord and Ninth), and I die cut all the pieces using scraps of paper. I didn't bother with a face because by the time I cut all pieces, I didn't want to ruin the face and have to start cutting all over again. 😏  The words come from an old stamp set I have, and I have no idea who made that because I'd thrown out the packaging a long time ago. 

I also have another journal page for Halle's "I've Got a Notion" challenge at Art Journal Journey.


       I covered my page in some fabric looking paper, and then I stamped the stitched flowers. They reminded me of pin cushions actually. I die cut the dress form, the sewing needle and the scissors. I first glued down the dress form and added a bit of cheesecloth to it. After I glued the other die cuts down, I used a white paint pen to make the thread in the needle look white.   I had some of these gemstone sunflower stickers  so I added them. The trim along the top and bottom borders is a punch out and finally I stamped the quote and fussy cut that before adding it to my page.

         There's still a few more days to join Halle at AJJ as her challenge runs through the end of the month.

       I am also linking this page up to Creative Artiste's Mixed Media challenge blog. This is challenge number 106, as as always, the theme is Anything Goes

         And last but never least, I am linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles at her blog.

        Enjoy whatever is left to your weekend and have a great start to the new week.



25 comments:

Hels said...

Sunday is the best day of the week for lots of people, me included. We do the weekly laundry in the early morning, then have the rest of the day for golf, lunches with the grandchildren, dog walking, coffee and cake evening with our contemporaries. It is particularly relaxing in summer weather.
Enjoy your sunday as well :)

Tom said...

...have fun being a beach bum! Enjoy your day.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Our phlox did not do well at all this year and I am not quite sure why. It’s in a section with Joe Pyeweed and Swamp Milkweed which both had a spectacular season. We’ll see what happens next spring. All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Love that tag...so summery and relaxing!

Iris Flavia said...

Wow on your garden and .. I think it was 2019 Ingo was floating like your lady in Grace´s pool. Sweet memories, thank you!
My Singer is to my right in the corner. Can sewing machines look disappointed?
It warmed up a bit and the sun is shining - happy Sunday to you, hugs

Anonymous said...

Fun tag and page! I hear you with the wild garden. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Love your tag. I hope to be a beach bum this coming week when Teague and I return to Ogunquit. Looks like another nice day until rain moves in tonight. Enjoy!

Gillena Cox said...

Nice tag. Luv the journal page too. Happy Sunday. Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

much♡love

Harvee said...

I have what I call a meadow garden too, where things grow as they will. We had sprinkled prepackaged wildflower seeds but next year will mis specific annual and perennial seeds to scatter in a large bed. Hopefully they won't all grow to be green plants and few flowers. Enjoy your garden this summer.

Harvee https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Halle said...

Love this one too! I wouldn't have guessed the background was paper. I thought for sure it was fabric.

*Vicki* said...

Your floating lady is the perfect example of the Summertime feels! I love the tag! Your page turned out very cool with your background and the edging! I love that! (I used actual fabric on my page and glued it on with fabric glue...but I think everyone thought it was paper anyway. LOL) Have a great Sunday. They'll be doing the gymnastics today so I want to see that event.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love your floating lady, and have spent a long time floating like that in the past, a great way to cool off. Thanks so much for making Tag for TT, much appreciated. Love the piece for Halle, too. Your garden looks great. Have a great start in the new week! Hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Flowers always find the right spot, you can't blame them for creeping towards the sunshine I agree it will probably be easier to move the smaller plants. Always problem solving with our gardens but keeps us alert ;)
Love the tag I could do with a relaxing day in the pool or at the beach just thinking about nothing!! Lazy summer days really are the best.
I too thought the paper on your journal was fabric, great mix of media, love the feathered cheesecloth that covers the dress form.
Thank you for joining us again : Creative Artiste, best wishes in our July Challenge.
Hugs Tracey xx

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a really long time since I hung around the beach.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great tag. Your new die is fabulous and well worth getting.

I also thought the background was fabric, so you found some great paper. This is a wonderful entry and great for Halle's theme at AJJ.

Katerinas Blog said...

Very beautiful creations Eriκa!
I especially like the summer one!!
Have a nice week!!

pinky said...

I love your gorgeous tag, just screams summer to me! Beautiful page too Erika. Thanks for sharing with us at Tag Tuesday.

Neet said...

The weather here is lovely too. We went to a cheese and wine party yesterday afternoon. Such a pity I did not take any photod of the garden at the house we were at - the garden is lovely, the gardenS are lovely!
Love your lady lying in the water, best way of keeping cool.
Your piece for AJJ is lovely. The backgroiunfd looks to be fanric and I love dressforms so this really worked for me, especially with the decorations you have given to it. Is it going to be a flapper dress when finished?
Hugs, Neet xx

R's Rue said...

I love your work. Happy Monday.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Barwitzki said...

You made a great diary page and a nice label.
Better the garden is green than withered... enjoy,
now.
A hug for you. Nice sommer!

Rostrose said...

Dear Erika, if it's any consolation, our garden is always out of control at this time of year and literally "explodes".
Your swimming lady is wonderful! She reminds me of the time when we still had a swimming pool in the garden. When I came home from the office on hot days, I sat in a large swimming ring and, if it was to be absolutely perfect, I treated myself to a glass of Aperol Spritz :-) So I let myself drift and enjoyed a quiet summery quarter of an hour before everyday life started again. I also really like your Sewing mends the soul picture - very harmonious in colors and design (and I have a soft spot for tailor's dummies).
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/ruckschau-auf-den-rest-vom-mai-2024-und.html
PS: Did you already find the book with the letters to the Chinese past? If not, you'll probably only find it in an antique shop...

pearshapedcrafting said...

The weeds seem to be bigger everywhere this year, I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon! Love the tag and your page - great idea to add the feather. Hoping to catch up a little bit ! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

And the dif between you and me is that you are a gardener and you will move stuff and I'd just let it be!

Michele said...

ooh, good luck with the weeding! your summer holiday tag is wonderful; thanks for liking to tag tuesday! xo

Divers and Sundry said...

I vote for moving the shorter plants. Your others have worked so hard to be in better sunshine 😊