Monday, July 1, 2024

Hello July

 Hi everyone. Happy July 1. June flew by; I can't believe we're starting a new challenge at Art Journal Journey already. However I will admit, June 1 seems like a long time ago. I think I've gone on garden time. Early June was Iris blooms, and they seem like they bloomed a long time ago, so therefore the start of June seems like a long time ago. 😏

Since it is a new month, it's time for a new challenge at Art Journal Journey. First let me once again thank Matilde for hosting in June. And let me thank everyone who joined her What Makes You Happy challenge. It was a fun month, wasn't it?

But now that it is July,  I want to welcome Halle who you might know from her blog Halle's Hobbies. I believe Halle has hosted AJJ before, but it's been quite a while, so it is really great to have her back! ❤

Halle's theme for July is all about sewing and things to do with sewing. Her theme is

I've Got a Notion

According to Halle, anything to do with sewing works. You can stitch, use buttons, trim, zippers, threads, or as far as I can tell, anything related to sewing. Check out the AJJ homepage to see what Halle wrote.


The sewing related pieces on my page are some die cuts, some cloth trim and some pieces of thread. I started by taking a sheet of water color paper and 2 pieces of cloth trim. One is black and one is  a fabric measuring tape. I stitched them down on the water color paper, and then I cut them out. I had to do this extra step because it is very hard to stitch into a spiral bound journal, unless of course you take the page out. 

I used some super sticky tape to attach the trims to my page. Then I stamped and colored 3 mandala's. I fussy cut them and added them to my page. Then I die cut the scissors, the thread spools and well as 3 paper buttons. I embossed the buttons, and then, before gluing them down, I put a thread through the holes. I also wrapped some thread around the die cut spools. After everything was glued down, I finished my page by stamping the Material Girl quote several times around my page.

I hope you're feeling inspired to "sew" a bit and join Halle this upcoming month at Art Journal Journey. Please don't forget our dreaded rules that say we only accept art journaling. But that journaling can be of any size or format.

And have a super start to the new month too.



14 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I only see your blog and thus your art. I am always impressed by your accomplishments. Sounds like you have quite the group out there!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I cannot believe you colored not one, but THREE mandalas. My hand got tired just looking at these awesome images. You did a LOT of prep work in order toget the sewn images on the page. Color me impressed. This is a fabulous first entry for Halle's theme at AJJ.

Neet said...

What a fabulous page for this new theme at AJJ. The only problem I have with it is I now can’t stop singing “I am a material girl - some boys kiss me ……” Thank goodness I know the odd verse lol.
Seriously Erika I love your page, especially the colourful mandalas, great idea.
Hugs, Neet xx

Halle said...

Oh my goodness! I love this page. Bright and fun and on point for theme. I also now have Madonna singing in my head. :) Very clever play on words.

Angie's Recipes said...

What a beautiful page with the creative design! Well done, Erika! Happy July!

CJ Kennedy said...

Rabbit, rabbit, White Rabbit! Fabulous page. I love the spool die cuts. Hope the thunderstorms weren't bad for you. Looks like we're in for a few days of nice weather. Enjoy!

Iris Flavia said...

Madonna is in my ear, owww. Not my fav singer but the page you created is great :-) To July!

Divers and Sundry said...

Sweet! I don't sew, but I miss the fabric stores and notions departments from years past.

*Vicki* said...

Your notions are amazing! I love those sewn medallions! The scissors and spools of thread are very cool!

Jeanie said...

It feels very wrong that this is July. very wrong.

Katerinas Blog said...

Your page is amazing Erica!
I really enjoy sewing and designing clothes!
Have a creative July!

Kym Decker said...

Great Job! Love all the little details! Very imaginative and very clever! Love the thread wrapped around the spools!

Aimeslee Winans said...

This is cleverly done! I guess it's fooling my eye because I had to stop myself from thinking you stitched the mandalas, those buttons and the threads are brilliant. Great page for the theme, xoxo

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is fabulous Erika, I thought at first that your mandalas were fabric. Loving how you used the notions! Hugs, Chrisx