Friday, January 20, 2023

Back to the Summer

 Hi everyone. Happy Friday. 

It's snowing right now, and I just shoveled off the back deck. Back to summer- I wish.

It's time for Nicole's Friday Face Off and also for GIllena's  Friday Art Lunch Break.

You might have noticed if you stop by my blog regularly I take tons of photos, and I have a lot of them that I haven't shared.  Since I'm still in my January hunker down at home mode, this week's face off photos go back to the summer. I figured some of you  might like a reminder of the warmer weather, and also, as it will eventually be summer again,  there will be more new summer photos when it arrives.

You might know that my husband has a small boat, and we don't live too far inland from the ocean.  It can be relaxing out on the water, as you can see in this first photo. Many of my photos today share faces.


I really like this photo of my daughter and her husband when they joined us one day.


And the seagulls always have something to say.


Finally a good photo of both dogs at the same time.


The main photos I wanted to share today was when a couple of tall ships sailed into Portsmouth last summer. We were able to boat by the ships and get a waterside view.

The one I am sharing today is called the Kalmar Nyckel, and it is a replica of a ship that sailed into the Delaware Valley in 1638 and founded Fort Christina. Fort Christina grew into now what is Wilmington, Delaware. This ship is sometimes known as the Swedish Mayflower. Here in New England we always hear about the Puritans and the Pilgrims who were English (obviously since we live in New England) and were the ones that settled in this area. Since 2 of my grandparents immigrated to the US from Sweden, it was interesting for me to see and read about a ship that brought Swedish settlers to the US not all that long after the Pilgrims arrived in Plymouth. It is also interesting because Kalmar, Sweden, (where this ship sailed from) is not too far from where my grandfather was born and grew up. 

The original Kalmar Nyckel  was constructed in the Netherlands and was then bought by the Kalmar Ship's Company in Kalmar. Sweden.  The ship had a history of being a military ship for Sweden, but she also made 8 successful crossings from Europe to Fort Christina in the "New World".






The Kalmar Nyckel has lots of art on it, including lots of faces. These are called angel faces because of the wings behind them.



These faces  are people who have something to do with this reconstructed ship. Some of them have worked on the ship, and some of them helped in other ways with construction.

In this next photo you can see people waiting in line to tour the ship. You can also see a side view of the ship's figurehead.


And here's the art on the stern of the ship.




That's my post for today. I hope you enjoyed it. 

Thanks for visiting, and have a great weekend ahead.


20 comments:

hels said...

That black dog is a handsome devil, and fun in summer OR winter.

Tom said...

...living near the water sure is nice. Those tall ships are beautiful. Take care and enjoy a wonderful weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

Interesting pics.
Erika, thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday.

Much❤love

Christine said...

I enjoyed your lovely photos.

Barbara said...

Happy faces, even the animals are smiling, blue skies, tall ships and puffy clouds…what cold be better?! A treat!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh so many wonderful photos with faces. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures and joining FFO. Have a lovely day.

DVArtist said...

I don't know if my comment went through. So many amazing photos with faces in them. I love them. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us and FFO. Have a wonderful day.

kathyinozarks said...

Wow what a very awesome ship! I enjoyed learning about the history too-thanks for sharing. I loved the summer time photos of summer-it is soooo cold here again I can't get warmed up today. Happy Friday and weekend Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

That tall ship is awesome especially getting a seagulls view. And just for Iris, a lion figurehead. A day at the beach or a day out in the water is sorely needed today. We didn't get much snow. Maybe an inch or two. Nothing accumulated on the road just grassy and tree surfaces. I hope you didn't get to much snow.

Angie's Recipes said...

So good to see some summer pictures and happy faces in the deep of the winter! The ship looks really beautiful.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice photos of summer fun, Erika, both of the family on your husband's boat and seeing that wonderful vessel. You obviously had a great day for photos too, a nice plus!

Jeanie said...

I love your photos from summer. Those are a lot of happy smiles and I love the dogs. And the ship -- wow. That's pretty spectacular and your photos are terrific.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not sure how I missed this post. You certainly had a plethora of faces for FFO. The dogs looked good together and that tall ship with the faces was out of this world, So glad you showed us most of that ship. It was a beauty.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Lovely family photos and fab story about the Kalmar and photos. My mother's and Honey's immigrating ancestors both came to New Amsterdam (NYC) as employees of the Dutch West Indies Company in the 17th century. I would love to learn more about them. XOX

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Such a look of contentment on your Husbands face ... it made me smile. And your daughter and SIL make a handsome couple. Love both dogs ... are they labs? The Kalmar Nyckel is a magnificent ship. The details are mind boggling ... what fun it would be to create a ship like this. I love your photos. Keep them coming! You have a good eye and a steady hand. My Izzi had a collar like your dog collars ... did you get them on line? Yes, nice to reminisce about summer ... though we got our first decent white snow today and it is beautiful. Stay warm, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

I cannot get over the idea of having enough snow to warrant owning a snow shovel. We usually get rain or ice.

Lowcarb team member said...

You have shared some FABULOUS photographs here.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

Kalmar Nyckel! She is a beautiful ship. As soon as I saw the images I thought Sweden! Nyckel means Key in English. So her name is The key to Kalmar :)
Thanks for sharing it!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I love seeing ships like that. Beautiful! Great set of photos. (I hope you didn't get snow in this latest weather event, but you probably did. Snow was mixing in with the rain here in CT, but not enough to accumulate or cause any trouble on the roads. Wednesday could be snow here, though.)

Fundy Blue said...

LOL ~ I've never met a seagull that had nothing to say. Enjoyable photos, Erika. I love tall ships. My favorite sailing ship of all is the Bluenose, but that's my native Nova Scotia coming out. Have a great week!