Thursday, January 5, 2023

Glass

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday. 

Today for Rain's Art and Dinner date the theme is glass. You would think that would be an easy topic, but I was a bit stuck.  I could take photos of drinking glasses, through my glass windows, or even of my actual glasses I wear for seeing. But I didn't really feel inspired by any of those ideas.

I decided I would share a few pages from my holiday art journal that relate to glass in some broad sense of the word.


A glass or glass-like mug.


Glass windows in this (above)  house image.


Another glass window. And below the silver paper moon below could almost be glass-like.


And here's a photo of some not-so-smooth as glass ice on the lake where my mother-in-law's house is.


Then I remembered that back in 2017 I visited the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, NY. Here's  just a few photos from that visit.









This museum is huge, and the glass they display here is amazing. When you buy a ticket to get in, the ticket is good for 2 days. We spent a good part of a day here, and these few photos in my post don't even begin to show you what we saw. 

And for the dinner part of Rain's art and dinner date, let me show you a couple of snapshots from my New Year's Eve day lunch. My husband and I happened to be in Manchester, New Hampshire, and we stopped at one of our favorite Italian restaurants, Fratello's. 


I mostly filled myself up between the salad and their delicious breadsticks.

And when my baked pasta dish arrived, I could barely eat much of it at all. But that was OK; it travels well in a doggy bag. Both my husband and myself could have the rest of it for our New Year's Day meal.


I think this post is long enough for one day. For those of you who I only "see" at the end of the week, I wish you a happy New Year and hope it's started off well.






16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome post Erika, I really enjoyed all the glass-and your meal out looks sooo delicious-Happy Thursday-hugs Kathy

Carola Bartz said...

The glass museum looks like a very interesting place - such a variety of glass on display! Good thing that the ticket is valid for two days, I get the feeling you need those. Your art journal pages are lovely as well, I like the little red house. And delicious dinner/lunch as well! I enjoyed my visit here, Erika.

R's Rue said...

Your posts always make me happy.

Angie's Recipes said...

Glass Museum is fascinating! I love that hot cocoa page.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun post! I love the pics from the glass museum. And, I have the same salad plates at the restaurant! I hope you don't get a lot of snow and ice for tomorrow.

hels said...

Excellent! You captured a window that has very smart geometric designs, rather than mushy images.

Lowcarb team member said...

A fabulous post, perfect for Rains theme.
Lovely art and delicious food.
I enjoyed seeing the photographs of the glass museum visit.

Enjoy your January days.

All the best Jan

Christine said...

Lovely take on the glass theme Erika and the food looks so good.

Iris Flavia said...

I am sorry. I cannot pick a favorite.
I can eat again and ohhhhh, looks yummy, I pick that! :-) And all ... you know what I mean.
I am late, too... happy Friday and hugs

Tom said...

...Erika, thank for showing the part of the glass collection at the museum. It has been a few years since I've been there, it time for a revisit. Enjoy your weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Love your journal pages and your "not so smooth as glass" ice, but I have to say your trip to Corning Museum of Glass must have been magnificent. When I think of Corning, I think of the ever so popular (when I was younger) Corning Ware Dishes ... in fact I still have a set of them and so I was surprised at the magnificent collection of glass that you saw at their museum. I was especially surprised to see the Frank Lloyd Wright window ... I would have never guessed that they were made by Corning. This was an eye opener and much fun, Erika :)
Your food looks yummy and like you I almost always take half my food home when I go to a restaurant. Restaurants tend to serve way to much and it also saves me from having to cook at least one meal the next day. So nice that you had such a delicious start to your New Year ... wishing you more delicious days in 2023 :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm enjoying these. I especially like that hot chocolate piece :) The ice on that lake is not a view we ever get here. That stained glass is gorgeous!

That meal looks delicious. I need a recipe for that pasta dish :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I loved the holiday art where the hands were around the cuppa.

DVArtist said...

Really a wonderful post and the food is what I am craving right now.

Jeanie said...

We used to always pass by Rochester on the way to Rick's brother and I thought, "We should stop there!" Maybe if I go to pick him up from his cycle ride to Nova Scotia in Pittsfield next year, I'll make a stop along the way!

Rain said...

Erika, I am totally drooling at that baked pasta!!! Looks SO good!!