Friday, January 6, 2023

The Rest of Hammond Castle (part 4)

 Hi everyone. Happy first Friday in 2023. 

Friday means it is time for Friday Face Off over at Nicole's blog and also for Friday Lunch Break over at Gillena's Lunch Break blog.

Today I'm back with the last of my photos from Hammond Castle.  (The other 3 posts are here: Part 3Part 2, and Part 1.)

We've had so many holidays since I started posting about the castle, let me just refresh in a few sentences. Hammond Castle is in Gloucester, Massachusetts and was built by John Hammond, who was a prolific inventor in the early to mid 1900's. He was also eccentric, and since he wanted to live in a castle, he built one for himself. And since he came from and also made lots of money, he furnished much of the castle with antique pieces he had shipped back from his trip to Europe.

I have more face photos to share today. Let me finish off my visit photos with the more lived-in rooms of the castle. Some of them have been turned into more of mini museum style rooms.

Imagine having a comic book made about you.


This next photo display has lots of faces, including a lot of them in the large center photo. That photo is from a radiograph conference in London in 1912 that Hammond attended.


These music panels had some interesting faces. They were over my head so it was a bit hard to get  good photos.





And for a few views inside, here's the renaissance guest bedroom and


a not so fantastic photos of some faces behind a glass panel in that room.


No faces in this next photo but I loved the melted wax.


And in the colonial guest room, there were these faces.


And here and there in random spots were some cool little tiles like this one.


Meanwhile in the dining room, they had this cool tile floor. It reminds me of the one in one of the big cathedrals in Dublin, Ireland.



And who has a war room in their house? Hammond did. I guess because he could and because he invented so much technology the military (Navy) picked up. This battle mural went around most of the room.


And here's the library.


And this modern bathroom. At the time this house was built it was  usual for people to have indoor bathrooms quite this updated, so I wonder if this was later fixed up. 


Here's a boot cleaner and another face for you.


And I want this many cabinets in my kitchen.



And  to finish off, let me show you the view Hammond had from the front windows of his castle.


Here's the oceanside view of the castle.


And off we go through the doorway into a new day and year. 


Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoyed all the views of Hammond Castle. Have a great start to your weekend.










16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika, wow this is really an amazing home (castle) It would be difficult to see and grasp everything on one tour-I am thinking many go back again. My favorite photo is the last one-and what an amazing view of the ocean he enjoyed.
Thank you for sharing all of these photos with us-I have enjoyed the tour Hugs Kathy

Rostrose said...

Dear Erika, these are very interesting photos. Hammond Castle reminds me a bit in some rooms of Hearst Castle, where we were in 2012 - but only from the inside - e.g. the dining room, the wood paneling, some antique souvenirs... https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2013/ 03/usa-17-day-san-simeon.html

You asked me where we were in Costa Rica. We drove all over the country for 3 weeks. But we also got to know the Osa Peninsula and Puerto Jimenez - we had accommodation in Drake Bay (the Pirate Cove Hotel) for three days. It was really nice there!
I wish you and your loved ones good luck and health in the new year! 🥂🍀😌
All the best, Traude

DVArtist said...

This is a spectacular post. I do love that kitchen. LOL FFO is posted. I put the wrong day for the automatic link up. Thank you for joining in. Have a lovely day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Hammond Castle such a fun place to visit. That kitchen with the butler's pantry would be awesome to have. I hope you're not getting too much snow today. We got mostly rain though everything is supposed to freeze over tonight. Is it July, yet?

Gillena Cox said...

Another fantastic episode.
Best Wishes for 2023, Erika.
Thank you for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much❤love

carol l mckenna said...

Magnificent series of photos of Hammond Castle ~ lovely to see your perspective of a place close by to my home ~ Wow! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful castle!

Valerie-Jael said...

That really is a fun place. I would love that hugs kitchen! Hugs, Valerie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for showing ore rooms in Hammond Castle, Erika. I believe at the time of our visit, we were not able to tour all the rooms as I saw several that were new to me in this post. Perhaps, we will make a repeat visit one day. We finally had a bit of snow today in Nashua after a week of rain and the resulting dreariness. Have a good weekend!

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh. What a feast for the eyes and soul. What fun to walk through and look at all this stuff. Very, very cool. Happy 2023!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I had no idea there are a lot of castles in the U.S. Until I learned about Hammond Castle, thank you much, I thought Hearst Castle in San Simeon, California was it. Hearst was like Hammond, Importing and extracting stuff from Europe for his concrete castle. I wonder what I would do if I was that rich. lol. Thanks for the interesting posts about Hammond Castle.

Gene Black said...

I love those wood carvings in the music panels. I really like the elephant.

Divers and Sundry said...

Looks like there's something for everyone at that castle. And what a view! I think it'd take more than one day to do it all justice.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

This castle is breathtaking ... so extravagant and expensive. I can't imagine the wealth of the man and how does one build such a place. The art and the architecture ... it must have taken years. And done at a time when there were not so many machines and technologies to help. I am awe struck! And, yes, to have a comic made of yourself ... I think the man was a bit vain, don't you? Anyway, this was a fun series of pictures with all of the faces for FFO. Wonderfully done, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How interesting. I think I like these rooms the best in this castle, It was nice to see all the faces, but I really enjoyed the bedrooms and that incredible kitchen.

Jeanie said...

The personal rooms in a house like this (castle like this) are always my favorites. I love seeing how the decor works. Of course, it was done by a curator -- maybe the original owner was messier or more cluttered! Still... And the comic book is great!