Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy 2023

 Happy New Year to you!

It is January 1 of 2023. I want to wish everyone a happy, healthy and wonderful new year.

Today I want to send a big note of thanks to Jo from Let's Art Journal for hosting last month at Art Journal Journey. And I also want to once again thank everyone who joined us during December. It was a fun month for art journaling for certain.

As it is is not only a new year but a new month, I need to introduce our new host at Art Journal Journey.

This month our new host is the talented  Mia who you might know as Craftartista. This month Mia's theme is

Use A Photo


My journal page has 2 photos on it. The train is cut out from a photo I took last fall when my husband and I went on our National Parks adventure. Here's the original photo I cut the train from.


It's amazing how different the train can look on a new background.

The other photo is one of TH's paper dolls.


I made my page by first painting a background light blue and then glueing down a piece of deli paper that I stenciled with some white fireworks.  I added the train and  made the tracks out of some washi tape. I also used some dark blue ink to the edges of my page.  I then added the stamped and fussy cut railroad crossing signs as well  as 3 clocks I cut out of a sheet of paper.  My page looked rather flat, so I added a bit of printed tissue paper on a couple of spots along the edges. I still wasn't happy with my page, so I sprayed some rust colored ink on the bottom. While it was still wet I took a baby wipe and rubbed it around my page, making it darker in some areas than others. When that dried I took some black ink along the edges of my paper. Finally I framed the page with a black Sharpie, added the paper doll and used a white posca paint pen to make the random dots. Oh yes, I also stamped the 2 quotes and after cutting them out of my sheet of white paper, added them to my page. 


I wonder who this traveller is going to meet. Someone special I think as he is carrying that big bouquet of flowers. Or perhaps it is just his way to welcome the new year.

Just a reminder of our dreaded Art Journal Journey "rules".
We are an art journaling blog, which we don't accept cards, tags, ATC's, dimensional art, etc. However, we do accept any type of art journaling whether it is digital, on loose paper, in a journal, on cloth, etc. Also, we can't comment on your post if you are linked up to our page through Facebook, Instagram, etc, so please be aware of that.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's Photo Pages at Art Journal Journey.

I  also want to mention that this month I am a special guest over at More Than Words. My post doesn't go live until the twelfth, but be sure to check out all the art at their website.




As I posted yesterday, I also want to also say "Thank You" to everyone who has stopped by and supported my blog in 2022. I've appreciated all your supportive comments, and I must say, I feel lucky and blessed to have such a wonderful group of blog friends.  Thanks for visiting my blog!




16 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How beautiful. What a difference the train made with your new background. This is very unique and what fun to see how you chose to use the train. It is a really unique and fun entry for Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey. I'm sure it will inspire a few people (like me, for example).

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous journal page, the gent and the train go so well together. Great background, too. Have a wonderful year, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Happy New Year, dear Erika, fun we both started with trains! :-)
Maybe it´s a sign we might travel again.

Your page is wonderful!!!
The train came out so great and the flowers your traveler has, awwww.... to 2023! Hugs

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy New Year, Erika! Thank you for sharing your art and talents with us!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Erika, that train is special enough but I absolutely love this page and the details you have included. I suspect those Tim Holtz paper dolls will be featuring quite a lot this month! Wishing you a Happy New Year, hugs, Chrisx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great journal page to start the New Year, Erika. I will look forward to many more in 2023. Hugs - David

Christine said...

I like your photo chosen for the new theme! Happy New Year!

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh! I love that train and this page is so fabulous for the AJJ theme and New Years (with the clocks). Love the vintage colors.

Congrats on being a guest designer at More than Words - I will have to check it out.

Happy New Years, Erika. Hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

The world needs more trains! I'd love to have passenger train travel be a common thing.

CJ Kennedy said...

Great journal page and sentiment to begin a new year. Here's to adventures. I think he's journeying with someone special on the Orient Express

Aimeslee Winans said...

Happy 2023, Erika! Hope your weather has calmed down some. I am soooo happy to see you using other photos besides snapshots of you or family, or landscapes, etc. That's scrapbooking to me and so now I feel better about using some collage sheet photos on a page later on in the month when I get time. I always ask myself, why can't every once in a while the theme be Anything Goes? LOL It never has so never will, but still... Anyway, congrats on your guest design gig and I really like your page and how that train looks on it. We just had omelets and I've been eating too much. Honey made german chocolate fudge and that's all it took. Tomorrow, food and exercise crackdown! hahaha xoxo

Michele said...

what a truly stunning art journal page! so glad i hopped over and had the chance to see it! wishing you a most joyous and happy new year! xo

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful art journal page. (And Happy New Year again.)

NatureFootstep said...

almost forgot, your comment on my post:
I will explain a little about the Angel later on. About the letter Å. you need a Swedish keybord to put the ring above A. We have three more letters in the Swedish alphabet, Åå Ää and Öö
:)

Jeanie said...

This is lovely. It reminds me a bit of the Polar Express (despite the dapper looking gentleman!)

Neet said...

I don't understand where my comment went to but it is certainly not here yet I distinctly remember visiting.
I remember the train, the crosses and the gentleman. My comment must have gone with Valerie's somewhere up in the ether.
Well, I love your page. First of all I love the colour of the background which is reminiscent of 'rust' which to me suggests aged. Perfect for the train and 'bon voyage' message of the whole page. Love the train, the traveller and the rail road crossings - those down the right hand side add just the perfect finishing touch to me.
It is the perfect page for the day.
Hugs, Neet xx