Thursday, January 26, 2023

On the Snowy Owl Hunt-Part 2

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday to you.

Last week I went to Salisbury State Beach Reservation in northeast Massachusetts twice. Both times I went looking for snowy owls, which I never saw. On my second trip I went with 2 girlfriends, and even though the lack of snowy owls was disappointing (but is hit or miss because they are wild owls), we had a nice walk and saw some other interesting wildlife.

I'm back today with the rest of my photos. (I'll warn you this is another photo heavy post.) Today I have a bit of scenery and some wildlife too. I only wish I had my big lens on my camera. (frown)

We saw lots of seals. (For some reason google is not letting me add my cropped photo of these Pinnipeds, so you'll probably have to enlarge this one to see better.)


Some were resting on these rocks that were sticking up as the tide went out, and some were busy frolicking in the water.


 These seals were putting on a show for us. They were definitely enjoying themselves. I never managed a photo of some of their most spectacular frolicking, but many times they were leaping right out of the water. This is what I mean, although I didn't take this next photo.

This photo is from iStock and is free to use.

If it wasn't so cold, we could have sat and watched them even longer than we did.


This worn away spot where a branch was ripped off this tree almost looks like the sucker on some other ocean creature.


And we did see lots of ducks.

I'm not exactly sure what type of duck it was in these next 2 photos. Maybe a red breasted merganser.
(David if you happen to stop by, could you leave your expert answer in a comment please.) Or if anyone else knows, I'd be glad for an answer.



Now I can't remember if the duck in this next photo was the same duck, but this one is definitely some type of merganser. I can tell by the head and bill shapes. I think this is a cool photo with the rippled reflections.


Here are some more waterfowl photos. Can anyone help me ID them? (I don't believe these are mergansers, which means they probably are-smile.)






After we left the ducks we then walked around a bend on the shoreline, and we found this raptor having some lunch.
Now I was really wishing I had my bigger lens on my camera.


This I believe is a Northern Harrier.




That was also very cool!

Looking back out of the channel towards the open ocean on this chilly and grey day. 


The pre-storm sky was still interesting.



Time to head over the dunes and back towards the car. We need our own lunch at this point.

Have a great rest of your week. I'll be home soon, and next week I'll be back to my usual challenge postings.



















11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never seen a snowy owl! That Northern Harrier looks really handsome.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Even though the snowy owl pics eluded you this trip, Erika, it looks like you had an enjoyable adventure. The ducks did look like mergansers to me as well.

kathyinozarks said...

awesome photos Erika-enjoyed your post. I was surprised that we have loons here at lake in the ozarks mostly see them during the winter months.

Barbara said...

Amazingly beautiful photos! I have always wanted to see a snowy owl but going north into snowy country isn’t going to happen. Please find one to post!

Debra said...

A lovely post! The photos are amazing. Are those black and white birds loons?

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh wow, these photos are fantastic Erika, you must have had a great time there. And that branch you shot is really spooky, love it. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Your photos are awesome. Love the hawk photo. I hope you're enjoying warm sun and sand.

Iris Flavia said...

The seals are sooo cute and that branch looks very interesting and arty.
Ahhh, the ocean and the dunes, love t all - keep the pics coming, please, hugs!

Jeanie said...

This looks like a great day! I especially love the flight photo. I can never get those!

The Padre said...

Stunning Captures - Well Done - Happy Friday

Cheers

Divers and Sundry said...

The only place we see seals is at zoos. Lucky you! That's exciting!