Saturday, April 15, 2023

Around the Garden

 Hi everyone. Happy weekend to you. Can you believe it is the middle of April already? I am getting  antsy to get out and plant things in my garden. It's still a little early for that, but we've been having such nice weather this past week it's easy to forget that it's only mid-April. 

The past week a few spring chores got done, and I even managed to do a few things in the garden.

But the big news was that the snow behind my house finally disappeared on Wednesday! Hurrah for sunshine, a bit of wind, and warmer temperatures.


We haven't opened up the entire screen porch yet, but on Easter my husband took the plastic off the doors so at least I can get into it.  It takes a bit of work before I can actually use it as all our yard furniture and accessories are stored in here for the winter.


At least  we were now able to get out  a couple of chairs to put on the back deck. I caught my husband on a snack break in this photo. Sorry dear; I know it's not your best photo.


And this past week has been exciting because some of my crocuses have started to bloom. Yes, I know. My gardens are WAY behind from what many of you already have. For me, it's so exciting to see things coming back to life.


There's also lots of plants starting to pop their heads up out of the ground too. My lilies, irises, alliums, daffodils are just a few. It's a  surprise to see so much  green popping out of the ground since
the last of the snow was still there as of Tuesday.  I'm so glad it is now gone.


I did go out to the beehives this past week.  You might remember the plastic windbreak we put up last fall. This photo was from a  couple of weeks ago. 


That windbreak came down on Easter also.

I went out this past week and got both hives ready for bees. This year I am experimenting a bit.


Sadly, my bees didn't make it through the winter, even with the bee blanket, bags of leaves insulting the bottom and the windbreak. The good news is I know exactly why they didn't make it, which doesn't make me feel any better but it's good to  understand.

Why didn't they make it you ask? 
Back in December we had some fairly warm weather. It was warm enough that the bees didn't go into their winter formation. This formation is called a cluster. The queen gets in the middle and the bees get really close together, forming something that looks like a swarm around the queen. The bees vibrate and create enough heat to keep warm. The outer layers of bees will die off during the winter, but if you have enough bees to start with (50,000+), the inner bees in the cluster will manage to make it through the winter. By spring,  there will be 20,000 or more left, depending on the severity and length of your winter.

It's also worth mentioning that bees born in the autumn are physiologically a bit different from bees born in the spring and summer. They are better able to take the cold temperatures. 

However, last December was quite warm, with many days in the 40's and 50's (5 to 10/or more degrees C), so the bees didn't realize it was time to cluster. 

Then came Christmas. It went from a balmy December to being  bitterly cold and windy. Because the bees weren't in their cluster yet, they all froze and died. We had another warm up after the holiday, so when I checked the hive at the end of December, they were all dead, laying on the bottom board. It was not a good way to end the 2022.

However, the frames in my hive had around 40 pounds (18kg) of honey on them.  Here's one of the outer frames. The inner ones were hard to photograph because they were filled with honey and when I handled them I had honey all over my hands. I  couldn't photograph them with such sticky hands.


Here's a couple of close ups. You can see the honey dripping.



It tasted pretty good too. Smile.

I decided rather than getting the honey for me to eat I would leave it to give this year's bees a head start.

I mentioned I'm doing an experiment this year. I am getting 2 varieties of bees. I am getting one box of the Italian variety that I have had for the last 2 years. It's going to be my control, and hopefully I won't just be sacrificing them over the winter (because that would make me feel bad). Italian bees are gentler bees, but maybe aren't the best for the cold we have in New Hampshire.

My other box of bees will be a fairly new hybrid out of Canada called Saskatraz bees. These bees are supposedly gentle and more cold resistant. They are also more resistant to one of the big bee diseases right now.  It's interesting to learn about honey bee varieties and how these varieties  differ from each other.

My  hives are now ready for my bees, which should be here at the very end of the month or very early in May.

Hopefully this upcoming week I'll be able to start getting my hands dirty with more than just paint and glue. Smile. Have a wonderful weekend.







15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So sorry to hear that your bees didn't make it, Erika. I can only imagine your disappointment. Spring ephemerals are starting to dot the woodlands here, lots of Bloodroot is already in flower, and many others about to join the show - Dutchman's Breeches, Trout Lily, Spring Beauty, hepaticas.......and Trilliums not far behind. It's a great time of the year. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...I know a few beekeepers and it can be a risky business. Enjoy your spring.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad to hear that winter is leaving you at last. Sorry about the bees, that's sad, but good that you know why and hope that this year will be better. Nice pic of your hubby! Hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

So sorry to hear that your bees didn't make it through the winter, Erika. Is it always that cold in your area? I probably wouldn't survive such a long winter either :-//

Christine said...

My sister's hubby catches his own swarms every year. They live in California.

hels said...

Is your beloved a keen gardener? Do you both agree on the tasks to he completed? My beloved is happy to plant and tend any fruit, vegetables or herbs, as long as he can use big claypots on the patio. His white skin needs to be protected from the Australian sun.

Divers and Sundry said...

Y'all have a nice vantage point to look out over the yard. I love his smile :) It's making me smile back.

Poor bees :( I hope these do well. I look forward to hearing about them.

Barwitzki said...

Thanks for the bee lore...it's very interesting.
I'm thrilled that you keep bees yourself.
We have many beekeepers in the area where I buy my honey. I wish you the best of luck with your two colonies you are getting and of course I am very sorry that you lost your bees last year.
Toi, toi, toi and write about it again.
Much love from Viola

Jeanie said...

I am so sorry you lost your bees. All of them? Oh, that's just sad. Even knowing why... sad. So, the new ones will move into the current hives? I hope they arrive soon and can get going. That's a serious amount of honey, I can't even imagine what 40 pounds of honey looks like!

Isn't it nice to start getting things opened up. I know our weather isn't "done" with the cold (we're having a 30-something week next week, maybe 40s) but you can see it coming.

kathyinozarks said...

I am so sorry you lost your bees again-that is frustrating and sad-good luck with these.
I am thinking you are happy to see the snow melting-finally, and seeing some spring blooms too.
Today we have severe weather in my area-one storm came through early this morning, I found out the area our woods house is had large hail come down-ugh. it cleared up and now another storm is coming in-lots of boats on the lake still though-I would not be out there
Have a good weekend hugs Kathy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad to see green and a few flowers popping up in your yard. Nice that you can now get into your screen porch to start cleaning and decorating it. That and your gardening will keep you busy for quite awhile.

Again, I am so sorry to read about the bees. I am glad you will be starting two different hives. Let's hope at least ONE survives this year. I can'teven begin to imagine how much 40 lbs of honey. I suppose the bees know which hive is theirs. No intermingling? Have a super rest of the weekend, dear friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

Yay for the end of your snow! It just puts you in a better frame of mind to see things greening up. Interesting about your bees. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this year so the bees will make it through the Winter and not get confused. Enjoy the day today.

Meggymay said...

Catch up time and sorry to read about the bees, but hey spring is on its way and I hope this year will bring you alot of honey and happy bee colonies. Good luck with your bee experiments.
Yvonne xx

NatureFootstep said...

It seems to be a hard time having bees. When warmer climate changes the situation for them. I hope it will be better for next generation.

Neet said...

You have no doubt realised I am working backwards and so I now know why you are purchasing more bees. Sorry you lost the ones from last year but you have learnt a valuable lesson and passed it on to us so that we know about it too. I did not realise bee keeping was so difficult and there was so much to learn about them, but it is interesting.
Hubby looks very contented with his bag of chips sitting in the sunshine.
Hugs, Neet xx