Friday, April 14, 2023

Faces at the Peabody Essex Museum

Hi everyone. It's already Friday again. Happy end of another week to you. 

Last week  as many of you already know I visited the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. I've visited the museum several times before, but always for special exhibits. This time I actually visited most of the rest of the museum, which has quite an eclectic mix of art. And I'm with you who commented yesterday that making the flags out of human hair could make you a little bit uncomfortable. It did me, but it certainly makes a statement.

Today for Nicole's Friday Face Off I will share some faces from the museum with you.

And I am also linking up to Gillena's Friday Lunch Break.

I'll start my eclectic mix of faces with these screech owls. These birds  were in a small section of the museum that had some animal art as well as a wall of OLD taxidermied birds. 


And these next 2 faces in this Chinese sculpture were part of the animal art in that room.


And here's an interesting war club, with the story about it in the photo that follows it.



Here's a mask and


an Indian protector goddess.




And I believe this next photo  shows a Chinese Foo Dog statue. There were actually 2 of these, and Chinese Food dogs are  put up in pairs. One would be male and one female. I've read that the female is the yin and symbolically protects the people in the house and the male is the yang. He protects the house structure itself.


The Peabody Essex is in Salem, Massachusetts. That city is famous for its 1692 Witch Trials, which were horrible events because 25 men, women and children died. This city is also famous for being the home of the author Nathaniel Hawthorne, who wrote the novel The Scarlet Letter back in the early 1800's.  If you're not familiar with this American literary classic, it is set back in the early days of Salem when the Puritans ruled the roost. Because a young woman had a child out of wedlock, she had to wear a red letter A. The A stood for adulteress. This next painting shows an artist's take on this novel. (And I didn't get the artist's name :(  either.)


And here's a portrait of the young author.


Salem was once one of the richest cities in the early United States because it was the home of spice and Asian Trading. Ships home based in Salem would sail to Asia bringing back some of the spices Americans craved. These ships would also bring back artifacts from Asia also. That is one of the reasons there are so many Asian artifacts in the Peabody Essex Museum.

Because of this connection to Asia, the museum has a complete Chinese house that they brought over and reassembled. It is called the Yin Yu Tang house, and it was the family home of a prosperous Chinese merchant family named Huang. The house was in the Huang family for more than 200 years before it was brought to Salem in 1982. 

Many of the artifacts in this house also belonged to the family. I'll do a house post another time, but there were a couple of faces to share so I'll do that today.

The first one is from post-World War 2 China. You probably recognize Chairman Mao. Everyone was required to have pictures of him put up in their homes.


And in one other room there were these early fashion pictures.


And that's all my faces for this week.

Have a wonderful end of the week and weekend. Thanks for visiting my blog too.



 

20 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great assortment of art at that museum.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What a fabulous visit, Erika. Thanks for a great set of pictures and an interesting and finely crafted narrative. I enjoyed the virtual tour very much. Hugs - David

Valerie-Jael said...

Love all the faces today, that museum is fabulous. Funny the women were always punished but the men never.....And some people would love to see this happening again! Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Such fun faces you picked. Enjoy the day!

hels said...

The war club is both fearsome and humanised.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow. Some very very interesting faces.
AFFF appeared late today because i made an error with the time when i scheduled it. I had to go in and edit this morning. But happy to say it's up.
Have a happy Friday.

Much💖love

Tom said...

..faces have been an important of art throughout the ages and you saw some wonderful ones.

Gene Black said...

Museums are always fascinating. I have been to a couple in London (years ago) and then to several in Mexico. I should use some of my photos from Mexico for the Friday Face Off one week.
I have always found the Asian fashion illustrations interesting.

sirkkis said...

Ouh! I'm loving the treasures you give us from your musum tour 😍 thank you 👍
Have a wonderful 'Gardening Dya'there 💚🌱

Iris Flavia said...

Owls ... so cute (apart from their eating habits).
I never saw or heard one for real.
But a dragon, yes! In Perth for Chinese New Year ;-)
Mao. What to say.

Other than: To a happy weekend and hugs!

Christine said...

Wonderful selection of pieces Erika!

kathyinozarks said...

awesome faces Erika, looks like a great museum to visit
Happy weekend
Hugs Kathy

Jeanie said...

These are all terrific examples of faces -- and a wonderful look at the museum, too!

DVArtist said...

WOW! What a great post. I said it before that you are so fortunate to live around so many museums. This is just beautiful. I enjoyed the bit of history too. Thank you for joining FFO and have the most lovely day.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love those owls..so adorable! Have a wonderful weekend, Erika.

carol l mckenna said...

Great photos of the Museum not far from Cape Ann MA my home ~

Wishing you good health, laughter, and love in your days,
A ShutterBut Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was sure I was here and had left you a comment, but obviously not. I was impressed with the War Club and the Protector Goddess and how beautifully you lined the plaques up so we could see the words so easily. I also liked the dragon. Not so much Mao, though.

I have always been appalled by the Scarlet Letter. It reminds me of the Amish who shun their community members for doing something they don't agree with. You have the Salem Witch Hunt, the South had slavery, San Francisco and the west coast rounded up Asian Americans, and we in the midwest were the end of the line for the Trail of Tears. Is there no class of humans we didn't torture in some way? Sorry. I didn't mean to climb on a soapbox, but it somehow started and I couldn't stop.

ashok said...

Lovely collection.
Have a lovely world art day

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm impressed by the breadth of this museum's holdings.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your museum visit was prolific and the variety and beauty of the art you have shared with us these last two days has been educational and enjoyable. Thank you for sharing ...

Andrea @ From the Sol