Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Yin Yu Tang House

 Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday. Fair warning-my post is a little bit long today.

I still have a few photos  from my visit 2 weeks ago to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts that are worth sharing. Today I thought I would take you through an actual Chinese house that is at this museum.

The Yin Yu Tang House is from the southeastern part of China in the  Huizhou region. I had to look that up on a map. It's the darker orange part.


 This house was built by a prosperous merchant by the name of Huang and was where  his family lived for over 200 years. It was taken apart and brought to Salem in 1982 where it was reassembled. 

If you leave the museum and walk around the back of it, you see this view of the house. One thing that's interesting to notice is that there  are no windows.


To visit the house, you have to be inside the museum. When you go into the house you first enter this courtyard area. As I just mentioned, this house does not have windows, and the only natural light coming in is from above this courtyard. If you look at the top of the photo you can see some glass panels. These were added by the museum to protect the structure from rain and snow, but in China that part of the building would have been open to the environment. It would be  how light would enter the building.


The rooms are on both the left and right sides of this courtyard with stairs at either end. There are also 2 water sources here, both for home's occupants to use and  as a protection in case of fire.
The person who looks like they are on their phone in the forefront of my photo is actually listening to the device they lend you to self-tour the house.

Many of the rooms off of the courtyard were bedrooms. Next is a photo of one bedroom on the first floor. This huge bed took up much of the room.  It was a place of honor to have your bedroom on this level.


There was also a little storage alcove on the first floor too. I liked this bicycle and all the texture on the walls and floor.


 This next photo is the kitchen. It's not anything  I'd think of as a kitchen, maybe more of a dining room. The actual cooking would have taken place out in the open courtyard because this family did not own modern stoves. I'm actually curious how they would have cooked. I am sure it would have  been in a wok, but did they cook over a fire? I know during the cultural revolution Mao outlawed cooking at home, so perhaps that  is why there was no sign of a place to cook.


This house also had no heat. I never photographed them, but there were lots of small handheld pans where hot coals would be added. You could carry that heat around with you. I'm not familiar with the environment in this part of China, so maybe it was not a particulary cold area.

I showed you the next 2 photos previously, and I thought I'd include them again. Everyone was required to hang a picture of Mao during the cultural revolution. That's creepy and sad if you ask me, but it is history.



Here's another bed and then just a wall with some interesting texture.



And below is a high chair. This was in a storage room. The box behind this high chair was actually a coffin. I'm not sure whose it was or why it was there, but perhaps it was ready for when the family elder passed.


The family and this house were around during the time of Chairman Mao and his cultural revolution. Here's another photo they were required to hang. 


Mao looks so friendly, but if you're familiar with what he did during the Cultural Revolution, it was not a very friendly time.

This next photo is up on the second floor, looking across the courtyard.


And then looking down into the courtyard.


This is the walkway along one side of the second floor. The walkway went around the whole of the second floor. The rooms in this photo were to the left of this walkway, and the courtyard is on the right.



These stairs look a little bit steep to me. 

Looking down into the courtyard you can see the 2 water/well features.


Here's a few more "random" views from inside the rooms.



This next bedroom was wallpapered, and  it was a wedding gift when the eldest son married. 


It's interesting to think about the number of people who lived in this house at various times. Often there were 3 or even 4 generations living here. However the men, who were merchants, were gone for long periods of time to their offices down along the coast, probably near or in Hong Kong.

These next photos are from an upstairs storage area, but I liked them so I'll share.






And finally, here is one of the water features. They would have contained large goldfish (koi), although the ones here are tiny. Those water lilies don't look real either.


I hope you enjoyed your tour of the Chinese home. It is definitely a treasure of this museum.

20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What a fascinating tour, Erika. It's interesting that everyone was required to display a picture of Mao. I bet you that had Trump continued in the White House it would have been no time at all before he was demanding the same treatment, and commissioning statues of himself. Hopefully the fact that Fox News (there's an oxymoron) has been slapped down so hard will give him second thoughts about continuing to lie. We will see. Hugs - David

Food Blogger said...

Beautiful. I have a large koi pond and a different lily pond as koi would eat all the lily.

Angie's Recipes said...

Such an interesting house! I like those vintage furnitures.

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting building. The picture of Chairman Mao makes me think of Italian Catholic homes that displayed a picture of the Pope. My grandmother had a picture of Pope John 23rd. My cousins and I used to tease her and say it was her boyfriend. 😺 Another nice day on tap

Tom said...

...I love Asian art!

Rostrose said...

Unfortunately, that's true, dear Erika, it was not a very friendly time. But it was very exciting to visit this Chinese home with you. Fascinating that this house was transported piece by piece from China to Salem, Massachusetts and rebuilt there. I find it very uncomfortable to live in a world or a time or a country where I HAVE TO put a picture of a dictator on the wall because otherwise my family or myself would be punished...
All the best from Austria and happy days! 🌷☘️🌷
Hugs, Traude 😘
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/rax-und-thenauriegel-zwei-ausfluge-mit.html

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh! What fun to look through all these photos. I loved the chilis! Drying the is so fun. Loved all the wood flooring as well. Looks like you had an excellent time.

ashok said...

I love to see traditional architecture...wonderful cultural experience.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fabulous place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want a coffin in the home! Hugs, Valerie

R's Rue said...

So beautiful.

Christine said...

So interesting Erika, we didn't even have to go to China!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a horrible man Mao was. His Cultural Revolution killed millions and displaced many more. The idea that farmers were taken from their fields and turned into steel workers, broug the entire country nothing but famine. I really loved your photos and the different rooms in that house. It's amazing how many generations were in that house at one time. Thanks so much for sharing these photos with us. I SO enjoyed the photos and all you learned there!

Lowcarb team member said...

I did enjoy the tour of the Chinese home, and I appreciated the map at the start of your post.

All the best Jan

The Padre said...

What An Extraordinary Adventure - Thanx For All The Photos To Accompany The Delightful Write Up

Well Done ,
Cheers

Iris Flavia said...

Please, Erika... never say it´s too much!!!
This is a great post! See - if I was a teacher I´d ask you if I may show this to the class - I would´ve loved to learn things this way!
Mao, that is true, is creepy. Bet he was as "small" as Put#n and Hit#er... reminds me of those men in super-expensive cars (rent for a day?) that cruise the shopping mile here. Ingo always says, "look, another man with a very small pen#s!". (they go round and round here! Amazing!)
That high chair sure was safe... poor kiddo!
Hm. The Germans with they ongoing war-guilt. And then... how friendly does Mao look in that pic.
I once lived in a house with such a "walkway" - never again. Mean neighbors can stand in the way...

We do live a luxury life. But. When we were in Tuscany we visited a farmer´s family. Nonno Duilio was easily in his 90s and happily working along. Here, old people go to "nursing homes", are alone and unhappy... and grow old in "no time".
Thank you loads for sharing this, hugs!

Jeanie said...

This is fascinating and beautifully preserved. (I'd have to go down those steps on my butt and up on all fours!) I wonder why you couldn't cook at home? Promoting the restaurant or take-out business? That's odd. That high chair and coffin intrigued me. I'm so glad we didn't have to have a photo of Trump in our homes (I hope he doesn't get ideas) -- it would probably be a dart board.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, what a fantastic place to get to visit and see. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Erika, as mentioned in a comment on your previous post about your visit to this museum, we also visited it many years ago. That said, somehow we missed touring the Yin Yu Tang House and now you have me thinking we need a repeat trip. I will be checking the local library website in the next few weeks as that's where we obtained discount tickets the first time. A repeat visit to Salem is always welcome. Thanks for this fascinating and interesting post and I also wondered about how meals prep was done.

Neet said...

China and the way of life has always held a fascination for me since I was a young girl. Dad would ask me to chose him some travel books from the library and as what he asked for I would always include one on China. So you can imagine my envy at you visiting this beautiful house. What a wonderful time you must have had.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps my favourite holiday was to China back 23 years ago.

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! Thanks for the tour. It's fascinating to see how it's set up. I'd _love_ to see that in person.