Monday, April 3, 2023

Children's Bird Book

 Hi everyone. Happy Monday and new week to you.

I have a quick  post this morning with lots of photos.

The other day  Mae responded to one of my comments about Golden children's books. You might remember them from your own childhood if you lived in the US (and maybe elsewhere, but I don't know). Many of those children's stories like The Pokey Puppy and Home for a Bunny  have become classics, and all I need to do is see the cover illustration to be brought right back into the story.

One of  my favorite Golden children's books was about birds. I remember looking at this and reading it once I could read over and over as a child. My book is long gone, but I found a copy for $3 a few years back in a used book store. I just had to have it; I'm sure it was for sentimental reasons.

Mae asked if I could share some photos of it to see if it was the same book she loved as a child, so here they are.












I'll also share this  older child Golden  bird book that I had and actually  still have.


You'll have to let me know Mae either of these is what you remember.
And maybe anyone else who might remember them also.

Have a great start to the new week.










11 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

These books were no doubt a significant influence on children and fostered in many a lifelong love of nature. I doubt whether a smart phone will have the same impact! Hugs - David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I found some Golden Books in a box at a garage sale. The original price of each of the books from the manufacturer was $0.25. The lady wanted $10.00 for the box of Golden Books. Guess that would be a bargain for a true collector. I couldn't read the cost of the first book you shared, but it was easy to read the cost of the second one.

Tom said...

...I've never been much of a reader and I'm still not, so I'll just read the pictures!

Birgit said...

I’m certain these were round when I was a kid but I don’t recall them. These are great and I wish more kids would read an actual book

Christine said...

I do remember little golden books, this is a sweet one.

CJ Kennedy said...

I remember the Pokey Little Puppy Little Golden Book. I don't remember the Birds book. My favorite Little Golden Book story was The Color Kittens. Hopefully with the sun and warmer temps later today, you'll get some good melt

Valerie-Jael said...

Books like this are wonderful. We had similar series of books in England, I gave mine to my daughter and she has probably thrown them away, pity! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I just bought a few similar books as part of our Easter gift for our great niece who we will be seeing this weekend. But, I can't recall whether or not any of the Golden Books were in our home when I was growing up.

Jeanie said...

These illustrations are exquisite. Those children's faces. Sigh. Mae and I were talking about the scarlet tanager at lunch the other day (and this book). It's absolutely charming. I remember the Golden books -- but not this one.

Mae Travels said...

Wonderful! I loved this post, and really appreciate that you did it for me! I think it’s “my” scarlet tanager. Thanks so much! I remember many other Little Golden Books as well, like the Little Taxi that Hurried and of course the Pokey Puppy.

For those who remember only a vague childhood memory, here is a bit about these books: “Launched in October 1942, Little Golden Books defied the traditional model of children's book publishing with its 25¢ price point, availability in chain and department stores, vivid cover and interior art, uniform trim size, and eye-catching gold spine”

Many are still in print, and I just saw a rack of them in a toy store last week, including the “golden” spine that identified them.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

What sweet illustrations in the Little Golden Book!

I have that guide book on my coffee table right now :)