Thursday, April 13, 2023

How I Spent A Lot of Last Week

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.

Today I have an art journal page to share for both Elizabeth's Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose challenge at Art Journal Journey and also for Rain's  Art and Dinner Date. Rain's theme this week is brushes, and you can see the one big brush image on my page.


This is a spread from my most recent junk journal project. The background has scraps of magazine paper and also  wrapping paper pieces. The feather paper is from the birthday gift that my daughter gave me.  The rest of the images on the pages are made using magazine images that I fussy cut out.

Last week I had a lot of art time, and this week, with some appointments and nice weather, I haven't had hardly any. Nor have I had a lot of interesting cooking time, so instead of any food this week for the dinner date part of this post, let me share more of my trip to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. 

Let me start with this really amazing exhibit.  There was a light in the black/grey box hanging in the center of the room, and that light created these amazing shadows while passing through the designs in the box that hung around it.


And one other interesting exhibit was this hall of flags. The actual name of the exhibit is United Nations.


They may not look like  typical flags because they are made out of human hair.
The artist, Gu Wenda, wanted to show how all people are alike, no matter what country they live in. He chose to use human hair because  we all share it, and he wove the hair into flags from around the world.



Here's a couple of close ups.



Gu Wenda was also the artist who created the light box in the first 3 photos from the museum. 

Gu Wenda is an interesting artist, and as I learned, one of the most influential to come from modern China. I had never heard of him before my museum visit, but I read about him on Wikipedia. You can read about him here if you are interested: Gu Wenda.

The artist began this United Nations project in 1993, and this is one of his most notable works.

I found my visit to the Peabody Essex Museum very interesting not only because of the art. Since I had just finished reading a book about China (Wild Swans by Jung Chang), so much of what I saw had a connection to that book. That includes this artist. Even though he wasn't mentioned by name in the book, his biography talked a lot about how he became an artist after the Cultural Revolution.  In the book I read the author wrote a lot about the Cultural Revolution, and how after it ended, many things, such as art, returned to China.

OK, that's enough for me. I hope everyone is having a great week so far. Thanks for visiting.













20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure it was a fascinating exhibit, Erika, and one that would appeal equally to everyone, bridging differences of age, background and culture. I was reading recently that one of the pleasing aspects of the rise in wealth in China is that many artifacts taken out of the country are now being bought and returned to China. So pay attention everyone, if you have ancient Chinese art in your house it may be worth a fortune! Hugs - David

Tom said...

...I just read about Gu Wenda, what an interesting life story. Perhaps the hair isn't a favorite of mine. Spring has sprung here and I hope that it has for you too.

Iris Flavia said...

I love ALL the art! To happy days! Hugs (and sorry for being so "short". I try not to fall asleep, darn side-effects of medication...)

Christine said...

Love how you incorporated the paintbrush, lovely page! What a brilliant artist Gu Wenda is. Going to visit the link thanks.

Hels said...

The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem Mass. was a pleasurable surprise to me because I had gone to Salem to see other parts of the city's history. But thank you because, in any case, I don't remember the box hanging from the ceiling with light that created minutely detailed shadows. If the grandchildren were with me, we would have had some fun analysing the light, shadows and shapes.

Angie's Recipes said...

Those photos from the exhibit are so beautiful. The box with light is really cool.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun and festive journal spread, dear Erika. Please check your link at AJJ, though because it goes to Rain's Art and Dinner Date. Back to the spread, I am a BIG fan of magazine images and I love what you created and the beautiful background using magazine images and wrapping paper. This is a really, really fun entry and sure shows what one can use when making art. Thanks for sharing this with Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.

The hanging box reminds me of lattice work. It is lovely. I was amazed at the hair in the nations' flags. What stunning entries and an interesting artist. Gu Wenda is an interesting artist and I was amazed at his story. I had to look up the word "ideograms," though!

CJ Kennedy said...

Your junk journal page is wonderful. the museum exhibit is awesome. WOW on the United Nations exhibit. I never would have guessed the medium was human hair. Enjoy the weather today!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to ask. Where do I get milkweed seed?

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for sharing the museum pieces and your junk journal art.
Much💖love

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing these photos. The museum must be a real experience.

NGS said...

I was fine with the photos of the flag exhibit until the close ups! So yucky! I didn't think I had a thing about hair, but I think I do!

Neet said...

I love the light that cast all those lovely shapes around the room - how fascinating something like that must have been to see in real life. I man the size of it - immense compared to what I see in your photo - amazing artist.
Not too sure about the human hair although I do think it is very clever.
I love your happy journal page. Perfect subject to use an art brush and all those different art related pieces for the background. Some fab papers there. Love the feather paper especially.
Hugs, Neet xx

Valerie-Jael said...

I would love to visit that peabody museum but the hair is a bit iffy! Love your fab journal page. Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

Carola Bartz said...

This exhibition is fascinating, Erika. I can't imagine all the work that went into making the flags from human hair. When I followed your link I learned that these exhibitions were shut down in Poland and a few other countries because they reminded of the Holocaust - that actually was my first thought as well and I can see how some people would not apreciate art like this. It seems he did quite some controversial art like e.g. the sanitary napkins. The lightbox is amazing and simply beautiful.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely and creative journal piece and great museum photos ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

Her work is very interesting and it looks like a fabulous venue for her installation. I like your page, too!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful artwork and great photos.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

What an amazing find! And, what perfect timing after just finishing a book on China that made Gu Wenda's art even more meaningful. I love the lamp and the shadows it projects on the wall. The hair art is a little more difficult to make out, but I would love to see it. Perhaps his art will be displayed in the Chicago Art Museum some day (if it hasn't been already and I missed it). I will be looking into that though, I promise you. Loved this post and your journal page as well. I love anything that can broaden our horizons so thank you for this introduction to an amazing artist.

Andrea @ From the Sol

NatureFootstep said...

Happy days sound good, I could use one or two myself.

Love the hair art. I have used hair a few times but not like this. Gorgeous.