Thursday, August 3, 2023

A Bee or Two

Hi everyone   Today I’m going share a few things, but let me start with a note I received from Iris in my snail mail awhile back.  😀

This envelope is not the envelope Iris' letter came in, but it is an envelope I added to my bee journal.  I had added the striped tab to it. I thought the wax seal that was on Iris’ envelope would work  as a perfect decoration  on my envelope. Luckily I was able to peel it off and not rip it 



And I love your bee drawing Iris. This little lady is even winking which is really cute. I’m trying to figure out how to add the letter to my journal.  Iris' letter is a great bee story about a bee she was watching. Thanks again for the note Iris. I loved reading it. ❤

And speaking of my bee journal, here's a page I recently made.


The background is painted with various watercolor paints. Then I added a paint card for a color called beehive. I also add a bit of honeycomb that I cut out of a bee supply catalogue, a stamped and colored bee keeper image, as well as a small chipboard beehive.  The sun is a gold metallic paper image from my stash, and the larger words are stenciled. Finally I used my ancient label maker to make a couple of words, and I also added some small flower shaped sequins. 

And this month at Art Journal Journey, Chris' theme is Where in the World. Give me a garden and some bees buzzing around in it, and I can be happy.  And I don't have to travel anywhere except out my backdoor for that. Smile.

And let me share a few more honey bee photos.


There are a lot of eggs



and a lot of honey. It's getting so each frame is almost too heavy to easily pull out of the hive during an inspection. 


This year with all the rain and humidity we had in July the flowers have been spectacular.
Here's some of the pots on my deck and my overgrown hydrangea on the side of the steps up to the deck.



I bring out most of my houseplants for the summer. Above you can see the petunias growing into my banana plant (which was mostly dead and is coming back nicely). And below, my asparagus fern has gotten gigantic.


I love zinnias. You throw a few seeds in a pot, keep them wet, give them a splash of fertilizer and they look amazing all summer.





Here's a few rocks I painted.



And how about some of my overgrown hydrangea.



And although I have no  dining room furniture to share, I am linking up to  Rain's Art and Dinner Date.
Sorry for the long post. 😉

Have a great Thursday everyone.










22 comments:

Tom said...

...have fun buzzing around today.

Mae Travels said...

Your garden and potted plants look super!

Iris Flavia said...

Glad the letter arrived and you liked the bees.
Wow, the real ones are... many, many! And I love all the half-hidden items, especially the lille red guy who is peeking :-)
So many flowers, a joy to see! Have a great Thursday, hugs

Christine said...

Lovely garden and happy bees

CJ Kennedy said...

So both hives have recovered from travel and weather? Your flowers look awesome. Love your bee journal, too. The other day Himself was weeding and must have disturbed a nest in the ground of tiny bees? He got stung about a dozen times and fortunately had no ill effects.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh bees--such miraculous beings.
Lovely art work., and beautiful flowers.
I especially like the painted rocks, and
your journal page.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, your bees look wonderful, and glad they are producing lots of honey. Your deck is looking wonderful with all of those flowers, and the pretty decoratios, you have created a little paradise there! Lovely journal page. too, I could do with some patience right now! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

Great collage and you shared your bees with us.

Happy Thursday
Much💖love

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your garden is a lovely part of the World. Flowers and bees - a perfect combination! I love this journal page Erika, thanks for linking to my AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Gorgeous! Love the bee work -- and the bee photos. ANd Iris' drawing. Your flowers -- wow. Those zinnias make me a tad envious. Mine died from heat and neglect while I was at the lake. Next year maybe I'll grow them there!

sirkkis said...

Fun collage page and really beautiful garden flowers. The bees are little scary looking seeing then that near. Wasps had already this spring built a nest in my balcony lamp. When I start to clean the balcony in early spring, I wondered why I saw them there....and found the nest there up. I must destroy the nest. They really strongly defended it, and I must work hart and save myself ! Bees are not like them :)
Happy weekend xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your garden looks great, Erika, and I am glad to see the hives doing well. Looks like you may have a bumper yield of honey this year. Hugs - David

The Style Fanatic said...

That page you made for your journal, looks so creative,

Bernie,
The Style Fanatic

craftytrog said...

Beautiful blooms and a gorgeous page Erika! I love to spend time in my garden too.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Quite a lovely page with a wonderful background for your bee journal. And I guess that's you since you're a beekeeper, eh? Glad they are doing well. Your flowers are so pretty, but I can hardly bare to look at them as everything is either dead or on life support down here. All of our plants look so spindly and skinny and Honey even waters every day. However, this heat drought has not affected the Lantana one bit. The bush is now taller than me and I'm a bit shocked, since even our cacti and succulents are looking sickly. I'm making a mental to plant it everywhere for next year and only it, lol. At least the butterflies and bees have a home. I'm telling Honey if he does that he won't have to water near as much, lol. XOX

Fundy Blue said...

Your bee photos are striking, Erika! What a beautiful garden space you have created. Happy August to you!

Carola Bartz said...

You have such a beautiful garden, Erika. Like you, I just need a garden and some bees and insect, a couple birds would be nice , too, and I'm happy. I don't know what I would do without my garden. Your bees are great, you are so lucky to have them! That is a beautiful page as well, by the way. Have a lovely weekend - Carola

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are definitely going to "be happy" about all the honey the hives will be producing this year, Erika. Glad to bread all is going well and your garden flowers are freally looking great with all the recent rains.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

BEE utiful journal page, Erika. Nice gift from Iris, too. She is SUCH a sweetie.

What find on that paint chip sample. Gotta love it. And it is a great page fpr Chris's theme at AJJ, too. Really close to home!!

Your bees are quite productive. How is the other hive doing?

You have some beautiful planters. Most enjoyable and a great look at your impressive garden.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the idea of adding trim elements to envelopes. Such a special extra touch.

Great bee photos! I do enjoy seeing them. My asparagus fern didn't survive. They shed too much every time I try one. Zinnias are a favorite here, too. Yours look gorgeous! Your rocks are the perfect garden addition. My hydrangea still hasn't bloomed.

Neet said...

What a fab fun post. I loved seeing your bee seal - how good is that that yu got it off in one piece and wee able to use it again. Brilliant!
Loved seeing the bees and so pleased they are doing well and producing lots of honey for you. I like the bee as a symbol (on my city's coat of arms) and as a result I have bought bee ear-rings and pendant in gold and friends buy me lots of bee related things. But ... I don't know much about them so I do enjoy your posts when they are mentioned.
Gorgeous flowers and the rocks you painted are such fun. Maybe I should do some for up here at the caravan - mingle them with the other plain ones.
Love your journal page. All the different elements, especially the honeycomb and the sunshine face. Oh, and the lady in the hat with the protecting veil I bet it has a name).
Hugs, Neet xx

NatureFootstep said...

bees are a wonderful and very inmportant insects :)