Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Iceland

Hi everyone. Happy middle of the week. I hope your week is going well.

Today I have a page for Chris' Where in the World challenge at Art Journal Journey and I also have a few Iceland photos to share.

I've started filling in pages in an Iceland travel journal I made.  I haven't finished the cover yet, but here's what I've done so far. (And the tape on the left is not that crooked, it's the angle I took the photo.)


I'm not sure what I'll do to finish the cover, but you will probably see it once I finish it.

My page for AJJ today is the inside cover page.


I had this 8x8 piece of map paper. And because it's the arctic, Iceland just happened to be on it. 👍 I added a scrap of tan paper to the top to finish covering my base page.  Then I rubbed an ink pad over parts of my page. I recently picked up a couple of the new Lisa Horton Interference ink pads. They ink one color on light paper and another on dark paper. 

You can see how the ink is green on the tan paper and blue on the lighter map paper.


The tab on the right side is from my boarding pass which I laid horizontally across the back side of this paper.

I added several items from a brochure I picked up on last month's trip to the  Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Those items include the cut out troll, the lines of circles and the title of my page. I stamped the circles that are directly on the background paper, the big circle around the island of Iceland as well as the little plane flying there. And I die cut the black arrow.

Trolls, little folks and fairies are all part of Iceland's history. I've even read that a lot of people still believe they live on the island.  I'm glad I had this brochure image and title words because they work so well in this journal, even if I didn't see them in Iceland.

 I've shared some photos from across the south of Iceland and also along the Eastern Fjords. Now we're going to be heading into the Northeast part of the country, into a section of Iceland where the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is active. Wherever the mid-Atlantic Ridge crosses the island, you have lots of volcanoes and lava fields.


I just love how you travel a few hundred kilometers and the scenery changes so drastically.
Sorry for the dark photos, but it was quite overcast that day. If I lightened them up, then the atmosphere we experienced changed too much. 








Next stop is a couple of waterfalls, but I'll save them for another post. I still have a lot more photos, and I'm sharing them as I go through them. 

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. 


 



 

19 comments:

Tom said...

...Iceland has such baren beauty, thanks for taking me along for the tour.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You have made a great start to your Iceland travel journal, Erika. The landscape is rugged and beautiful, but I am starting to miss trees! Hugs - David

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the blue tones and shades of that A giant adventure page.

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the journal cover and the little Viking. Very difference scenery from here. 4th photo down, who built the cairn? Do people add stones to it? We had wild weather yesterday morning with a tornado warning. Looks like we won't be spending time in the basement today. I hope your weather wasn't too wild yesterday. Looks like the pick of the week today.

kathyinozarks said...

good morning,I am enjoying your Iceland posts I will back so I can view the photos in color on the little lap top-waiting for a wireless mouse to arrive.
Happy mid week hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

I watched an Icelandic horror film the other day, and this landscape looks familiar. Bleak, but it still draws me in.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page and cover. Love the colours, and the troll! The photos are great, too. The happy Viking is lovely. I would love to visit Iceland, in the meantime I 'll stick to the Iceland detective stories. Hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Lovely page and nice to see the Iceland photos.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I also love Iceland and your cover page is fantastic and the photos are beautiful and interesting.
Happy week, hug Elke

Neet said...

Fab photos from Iceland - what a fabulous trip. I do like the cover you have done for your travel journal - what a great warrior and what a lovely background.
But ... I love the inner page, the green giving way so easily to the blue and the much lighter colour of the map. Then there is the Troll. He is fabulous! I love how he sneaks in to the page. Great to include some reminders of a great time.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great art and photos. - Anne (Cornucopia)

peppylady (Dora) said...

My oldest son and his wife went to Iceland, and considered moving there.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

A Casa Madeira said...

Hello;
Wonderful landscapes!
I loved discovering your blog.
janicce.

Olá;
Paisagens maravilhosas!
Adorei conhecer seu blog.
janicce.

Jeanie said...

I love this page! And you two really covered the country. I've been enjoying all these photos -- a spot I'll likely never see!

Lowcarb team member said...

Isn't the week flying by!
I like your art and enjoyed your Iceland photographs.

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

Great photos and artwork Erika! Looking forward to seeing more.
Alison

Aimeslee Winans said...

Your Iceland journal will be a good one. The cover is looking nice and your page is cute with the troll. Try as I may, I remain unenthused about Iceland, but Earth's plate boundaries have always fascinated me because of earthquakes, having been born in a town on the New Madrid fault. But it's good to remember volcanic activity is connected to them as well, even way up there, lol. Which is about where if I remember correctly Europe was connected to North America back in the ancient day. The Earth's been doing its own powerful thing and will continue whether we like it or not, I suppose. XOX

pearshapedcrafting said...

I would love to visit Iceland so it really is great to see your photos.Your cover is looking fabulous so far and I love that troll on the inside cover. The inks sound interesting. Thanks so much for sharing at my AJJ theme Erika, Have a great weekend, Chrisxx

NatureFootstep said...

been there, one of my favorite coundtries. :)