Wednesday, August 23, 2023

A Good Day to Go Riding

Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday.

Yesterday my page was about a horse ride, and today my journal page is about another type of riding. Have you ever ridden or do you ride a motorcycle?

I've been on a motorcycle a couple of times. It's fun, although I think I am getting too cautious to ride on one now. My husband has a bike. He's had it for years, and he goes out for little rides. I should get myself a helmet and ride with him, but like I already wrote, I'm not sure I really feel safe on one. When I was young I didn't think about how badly injured one could get if you crashed, and I don't think I want to go through that body trauma now, should or when something happens.

But it's still fun to make a page about motorcycles.


I had this sheet of 8x11 paper that was black and white checked with a motorcycle on the bottom left corner. There were also some motorcycles I could cut out from other paper in this pad, so that's where I headed with this page. 

The woman is an old B Line Design stamp and the way she is standing works next to the bike, but I don't think she will be riding it in that outfit though. Of course one never knows. 

I added the 6x6 sheet of printed map paper and cut out the Statue of Liberty from another sheet of paper. The upper bike looks a bit like it is floating, but 3 bikes looked better than the 2 partial ones, so I added it anyhow.  I finished off the page by inking the edges in read and adding some stickers to make my quote.

I am linking this page up to Chris' Where in the World challenge at Art Journal Journey . We'd love to have you join us this month.

And here's the recipe  for the Freezer Pickles I mentioned yesterday.

This recipe calls for 8 cups of cucumbers which is roughly 2.5 pounds or 1.1 kg. If you're making a smaller batch. you can half the amount of ingredients, or even roughly quarter them. If you use a lesser weight of cucumbers and make the recipe amount of liquid without splitting it, the pickles will still work you'll just have more pickle juice. 

-3 tablespoons of salt
-1.5 cups of sugar 
-1.5 cups cider vinegar or white vinegar  (355 ml): cider vinegar gives  a more flavorful juicer
-1 tablespoon of pickling spices  OR 1 tablespoon of dill (fresh is better)-but not both

1-Slice your cucumbers thin and discard both ends. Put the cucumbers in a large bowl and mix them with the salt. Let the cucumbers sit 2-3 hours and then drain out the excess water. If you want less salt in your finished pickle, you can then rinse the cucumbers after you drain the water.

2- Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl. Pour  this juice into the cucumbers and let them sit for 8-10 hours or overnight. It's better if you can refrigerate them.

3- Put the cucumbers and the liquid into freezer containers or bags and then freeze for 2-3 weeks. Thaw the finished pickles in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours before serving. 

And just a note, you can substitute zucchini for the cucumbers.

That's all for me. Tootle-loo!

15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never owned a motorcycle but I have been a passenger on one a couple of times. I don’t remember much about it, other than it got me where I was going back in those far off days. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...I like motorcycles as art, but my wife would kick me out if I got one.

Iris Flavia said...

Riding a motorbike.... Oh.
I am too scared. We had a Harley Davidson, built 1977/78, Ingo got her in parts from America.
She was LOUD! I loved her.
My Brother had a Ninja and once "forgot" I´m sitting behind him. He drove over 200km/h. I nearly died. Next stop he -and an elderly couple at the stop - learned how loud I can yell!!!
Boy, it was horrible.
Challenge tomorrow: Push-bike!
Love your page. Hope I can visit your country some time. Right now I work for "North America". Hugs

Iris Flavia said...

P.S.!!!Thank you for the recipe! (I had a horror day at work and manage just half of what I want....)

Tootle-loo! :-)
LOL, thanks for that! May I be a copy cat here? This really made me laugh > happy!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never been on a motorcycle. They look scary to me lol I like that stylish pose.

Valerie-Jael said...

I used to own a motorcycle and enjoyed riding it. In the meantime it's not a possiblity because of my handicaps, but it's something I can look back on with joy! But it can be dangerous, that's true! Love your pickle recipe, thanks. And of course, your journal page is fabulous. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Horses or bikes I'm up for either one. I miss the days that Mr. M. and I road the back roads on our Harley. Love this art. Have a great day today.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful art. - Anne (Cornucopia)

A Casa Madeira said...

I like the freedom that bikes give us.
I love canning;
Nice post.
Thank you for your visit.
Good continuation of the week.
janicce.

Gosto da liberdade, que as motos nos dão.
Adoro fazer conservas;
Belo post.
Obrigada pela sua visita.
Boa continuação de semana.
janicce.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Like you, I've been on a few bikes, always as a passenger. Those days are long gone for me now and I'm fine with that, lol. Your high fashion lady does look odd with the bike but perhaps she was a great straddler! Women back then had to be. Your recipe looks very tasty so I copied it and showed it to Honey. He was like, my mom made real pickles. I was like, and I bet they were delish but home canning makes me nervous. I tried to get him interested, we'll see. XOX

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the pickle recipe. That looks so good -- I thibk I might try!

Neet said...

Your elegant lady in green obviously doesn't think it dangerous to ride on a motorbike, she is raring to go. But I am a bit like you, it was ok when younger but as you get older you see more consequences and don't be as adventurous about things.
Love your chequerboard background, very appropriate, and we can all see where the bikes are going.
You've given me an idea for next week.
Hugs, Neet xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fabulous beautiful journal page about the motorcycle trip. I used to ride motorcycles as a young girl as a passenger it was a great wild time.

Have a good time, hug Elke

NatureFootstep said...

that must be a very old fashioned bike, or maybe just made up. I never seen one like that in Sweden. But I think a bike trip across the states would be á nice experience :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

As a ckild and teen I rode pillion many times- I don't think I would want to these days, so I'll pass on the chance to see the US by bike! I love the colours here Erika. Thanks for sharing at AJJ and my theme, hugs, Chrisx