Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Happy August

 Hi everyone. Happy new month to you. July flew right by, and now we're into August. If I had to bet money on it, August is going to fly by also. 😉

I once again want to thank Alison for hosting last month at Art Journal Journey. It was a great challenge, and I loved having you as our host. I also want to thank everyone who joined Alison also. It's always such fun to see what people come up with in our monthly AJJ challenges. 

It's now August, so it's time for a new Host. This month I want to welcome one of our Art Journal Journey admins, Chris,  who I'm sure you  know from her blog Pearshapedcrafting.  Chris' challenge this month is:

ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

I think that challenge theme is  basically self-explanatory. Where have you been? Where would you like to go?  Where do you dream of going? Or maybe, where's a place you find interesting?

Here's my first page, a mix of where I've been and what would be  interesting places to visit.


I started my first journal page by using green, blue and brown watercolor paint on some watercolor paper.  In my scrap pile I had some leftover pieces of some map paper, so I cut  out the map parts and glued them randomly around on my page. 



I really like the Janet Klein world figures, especially these Asian ladies, so I stamped and fussy cut them. I decided to leave them uncolored so they would stand out better on the page.

With each lady came a flag, so I stamped, cut out and colored those. There was also a quote with each lady, so I stamped and cut those out.  I also added some bits of some Japanese/Chinese writing, except for the Korean lady who I stamped an image from her set.

To finish my page I added a washi tape border. Then I used my set of Asian die cuts and some black paper. I added the ship and also the corner designs, but I decided to only add them to 3 corners so the page wouldn't look quite so formal. And maybe not complete either. I can't decide whether  I should have added a fourth one, but it is what it is going to be.

Just a reminder that at Art Journal Journey we only accept art journaling. It can be any kind of journaling, but please, no cards, tags, ATC's etc. And if you link up through a social media site, it doesn't mean we aren't happy you joined us, but it does mean we will probably not be able to comment. 

I hope you're thinking about places to visit and would like to join us this month at Art Journal Journey.


12 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There seems to be a Janet Klein figure for every occasion. This is a lovely first entry, Erika. I like how you colored the flags and how you added the ship and other die cuts. I was also so impressed with these oriental women. This is a fun first entry and a great one for Chris's theme at AJJ, too. BTW, that was how I read the theme, but Chris changed it. Fortunately, the entry you chose went well with it.

Iris Flavia said...

Very well done! So much to see! Love the corners, too. One wants to sail away... Hugs and to travels...

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! I love this Asian style page for my AJJ theme. These Janet Klein figures look great with your background. The quotes and die cuts are a perfect addition Hugs, Chrisx

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your beautiful and unusual page, Erika, so much to see and enjoy. Love the little ladies! You have certainly seen a lot of places lately! Have a fun challenge, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is such a great theme with scope enough for anyone to take part. Whether you have only been to the next town or have spent a life globe-trotting, you have broadened your outlook, seen a little of how others live, learned new perspectives. To share with your fellow artists for a month seems like a rare and precious opportunity. I will look forward to everyone’s creations and perhaps to learning a little of people’s experiences and the ways in which travel has changed their outlook on life, or indeed their life itself. Great start, Erika. Hugs, David

Angie's Recipes said...

I like this asian theme page...the corners are very nice.

Tom said...

...how can it be August already? Enjoy the month.

Christine said...

Nice work!

Stevenson Q said...

Oh dearest Erika this is so beautiful!!! I love the beautiful images and the flags and most of all the way you put the whole art together! Being away from home makes my heart grow fonder about not just my country but Asia in general that's why I'm extra happy on this one. You really have a gift in journaling and we are very blessed to see your work! Sending hugs on this fast August!

Hels said...

Since retirement, I wake up each morning and remember that I have no fixed plan for the day :( So if July came and went, I didn't notice it very much.

Now I make myself a list of art history journals to read, and a list of art history blog posts to write. Thank goodness for your's and other blogs that keep my brain sharp.

Jeanie said...

That's a fun piece and a wonderful theme Erika. Love how you did the people/flags!

craftytrog said...

A great new theme from Chris, and I love your fun page Erika! Such wonderful images.