Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Notes from the Sea

 Hi everyone. Happy mid-week to you. 

Before I forget, let me thank everyone for the smiles and support regarding my last post about difficult family members. It definitely makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with those issues. 👍❤😀 Thank you for the advice; all of it good too. Like you Iris, I only have a brother who usually isn't too bad to deal with because when there are issues, we just get to the point and deal with them. At least we are straightforward with each other. I wish my Mom was still around so I could thank her for teaching us to do that.  That's something my husband's family is not good at, even a little bit.

Today I have a journal page I am sharing for 2 different challenges. First of all I am linking up to Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge #96. The theme is always Anything Goes. I am also linking up to Chris'  challenge  at Art Journal Journey. This month Chris' challenge is Where In The World


I love a beautiful day at the ocean at any time of year, so that's why I'm sharing this page. 😀

I started making my page by randomly glueing down  a ripped up envelope that had this printed inside design. Then I inked and watercolor painted my page with some not so traditional ocean colors. 

The  shell image is an oldie from Stampington that I stamped on acetate. The fish are cut out from an embossed background. I then colored in their eyes. I freehand painted the circles with white paint and outlined them with a Sharpie. I also used a Sharpie and a stencil to add the words. 

Finally, to finish my page, I used some sequins and a small brass starfish charm with the loop snipped off.

I keep thinking I need a beach day (because I'm lucky enough to live only about an hour away from the ocean), but I'm not sure how  much sun there will be until the weekend. I guess I'll have to just have a little more patience until I get a sunny week day. 

That's all for me today. Have a great middle of your week!



14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I wish that I lived but an hour from the ocean. As it is I have to be content with the Great Lakes; they are wonderful of course, but quite different from the ocean shore. Tide pools and Ricky shores are a never-ending source of discovery and delight. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...Erika, you are indeed lucky, for me the ocean is over 300 miles away. Lake Ontario is the closest thing that we have to a ocean. Enjoy your day.

Angie's Recipes said...

That's a really beautiful page. I love the purple theme.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your page is a fun countdown for when I leave for Camp Newport on Monday! Enjoy your day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lucky you being so near to the sea. The next possibiity to have a dip in the sea is in Holland. It's not too far, either, but as I don't have a car anymore, it's a bit complicated! But I have our wonderful Rhine!
Love your journal page, gorgeous colours. Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

An hour away from the ocean sounds like heaven. I'm 6 hours from the Gulf and 12 hours from the Atlantic coast.

Aimeslee Winans said...

I know you'll get there soon, the Sea is calling you! Lovely page and I like the purple water and those fish are cute. XOX

craftytrog said...

It's a great page Erika, I love the fish!
We are fortunate here in the Uk to be never too far from the sea.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, to getting to the point!
And to Brothers! And the ocean of course, soon!!
I love your page and right to my left (you know what I mean) I have some seashells. If only I remembered where I have them from!
To the next sunny day - maybe you take some pics to share?
Hugs (cause February now doesn´t sound like that soon! ;-)...)

Jeanie said...

Siblings are a plus and minus, says the only child. You're out there on your own, right or wrong, sometimes without support. But then those decisions are yours and there isn't the whole family dynamic along with it. I'm glad your mom fostered good communication between you and your brother.

Neet said...

Love your notes from the sea and the colours are lush!
I do like the little fish that you cut out and all the little bubbles which I imagine sparkle and shine as you look at the page.
Here's to your beach day - on Friday we sat on a bench overlooking the sea at 7'ish in the evening - bliss.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is so beautiful Erika - I hope you got your beach day! Thanks for sharing at AJJ and my theme, hugs, Chrisx

Andree said...

A gorgeous journal page. The purple and pinkish tones look amazing. The fish, sequin bubbles and little starfish are all fabulous.
Thank you for joining in with our August challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I see from many of your lovely posts after this that you managed some downtime, the water is such a calming piece of nature and as Alison said in the UK our tiny island is never too far from the sea. A wonderful page showing your love of the open water, the stamped shell on acetate is so crisp and clear to the eye. Thank you for sharing @ Creative Artiste and playing along with our August Challenge.
Again I find myself behind with everything creative answering that question you asked whether I would like to live on the canal/river in the UK, as romantic as it can be in late Spring to early Autumn I do not think it would be much fun through the colder months and near impossible to go anywhere as the waters are not maintained like they used to be sadly.. but it's so relaxing when opportunity comes to take a mini break.
Sending Hugs & apologies for my blog absence again. My Mother's condition is worsening whilst we still await a diagnosis amidst surgery, hospital and mental health team visits. I'm not sure how much care is left in me to do this.. Sorry to offload but I know you will read this.
Take care (((Erika))) Tracey xx