Thursday, August 10, 2023

A Mystery and A Tag

Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.
I have a couple of pieces of art to share today.


First of all I have another journal page for Chris' Where in the World challenge over at Art Journal Journey

 I inked my paper with pink and orange ink. I then used  several old tag stamps (with airport codes on them)  to start the background.  I also stamped some  travel quotes from another couple of vintage stamp sets in my collection.

The winged postage cancellation is from an old embossing folder, and the plane is cut from a relatively new die. At least new compared to these other craft supplies. Smile.

Before I added the plane I painted 3 clouds with white acrylic paint.

You can interpret today's page  2 ways. First of all, it could be a general travel page. However, 
I also stuck a head photo into the plane. You might be able to see it better in this next photo.


You might recognize the face as that of Amelia Earhart. She was on a quest to be the first woman to fly around the world when she disappeared in 1937, along with her co-pilot, Fred Noonan. The other way you can interpret my page is that it is about this pioneering woman pilot. Of course there weren't all the big airports like we have today when she flew, but so far the mystery of what happened to these 2 people has never been solved. 

Chris' "Where in the World" theme invites any possible answer to the question of what happened to Amelia Earhart. 

I was once able to go for a ride in a 1940's open cockpit biplane. It was really an amazing little trip, and I wish I had photos to share.  One thing I can say after that flight is I can see how women like Earhart (and others) could get so excited about flying. If I ever get the opportunity to go for a ride in an open cockpit plane, I certainly would, even if I am not a fan of heights.

And I also want to share a tag I made for Sandie's Sewing challenge at Tag Tuesday. We had a lot of rain on Tuesday so I had a lot of time inside for making art. 


It was lots of fun to pull out my sewing stamps and my Martha Stewart button punch. I haven't played with these items for a bit.  I first covered my tag with a painted piece of deli paper.  Then I stamped some lace and some wonky stitches. I also used some inks to add some bits of color. The woman is from an old sewing set by Hero Arts. She is an old pattern image, and the quote comes from the same set. Finally I used my punch and some red paper to make the 3 buttons. I threaded them with some colored string.

 Thanks for the fun theme Sandie. 

That's all for me today. Thanks for visiting, and I hope you're having a nice week. 














 

23 comments:

Tom said...

...Sew Stylish, I loves the play on words.

Angie's Recipes said...

Both pages are wonderful, I love esp. the sewing one.

Hels said...

Amelia Earhart was important to include. She was indeed on a quest to be the first woman to fly around the world. And even when she disappeared in 1937, her bravery and talent lived on.

CJ Kennedy said...

I think your journal page would make a great bookjacket for a kid's biography about Amelia Earhart. Your tag reminds me o the sewing samples we had to make in sewing class. More rain today. Stay dry

lichazul said...

Great Tag , congrats 💐☺️ happy day

Christine said...

Lovely page and tag!

Iris Flavia said...

Amelia Earhart sure was a very brave woman - as are you! No ten horses would get me into such a "thing"!!
I´m like really afraid of heights, so much so I can´t go down escalators when you can see through the sides. Stupid, but true.
Love also the sew stylish-card :-) Hugs and have a great day (P.S. no, we do not live high up, it´s just a shit#y summer... a very...).

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pieces are gorgeous today. Glad you put Amelia Earheart in the first one, great idea! I love flying, and would love to fly in an airship one day, my big dream! Your tag is sea good today, love it. Thanks for joining us at TaTu. Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

That plane ride does sound exciting! Every once in a while they offer helicopter rides here, but it always costs more than I want to pay in the moment. An open cockpit plane might be too tempting to resist.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

craftytrog said...

It's a wonderful page and great tribute to the unfortunate Amelia and Fred. I guess we'll never solve that mystery.
I love your stylish tag too Erika.
Alison

Jeanie said...

brave woman, you, in an open cockpit. I don't even like to be in a closed plane! Now THAT is an experience!

Stacy M.S. said...

Absolutely beautiful artwork and tag! I love your colors and detail.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, that makes sense, there has to be a bit of a daredevil in every beekeeper! [grin] Very nice makes for ajj and tatu. Good weekend, xoxo

Sandra Wright. said...

A scrummy Tag, I love it, love that you have a button punch, I've never seen one.
Perfect for my theme over at Tag Tuesday.
I am glad you enjoyed it, it means a lot, hugs x

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great piece for an interesting theme, Erika, but a I think I will pass on the open cockpit ride! Hugs - David

Stevenson Q said...

I have always had a fascination with things about aviation and these stamps are super cute Erika! I always keep my luggage tags and boarding passes and keep them on a scrap book that I am currently working on but always lose time to continue haha But thank you for inspiring our crafty and arty sides with your works <3

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page that fits my theme so well. An open cockpit does sound exciting. Sadly I don't think your question will ever be answered. I love your sewn tag too.
Have a great weekend, Chrisx

Neet said...

Love your journal page with it's alternative themes one might use. What a brilliant idea. I clocked the face straight away but in the small photo I thought it might be you flying off somewhere exotic.
What a lot of brilliant stamps you have to use for something connected to travel.
Fab page 'Erika
Hugs Neet xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fabulous this journal page I love it and also your Tag with the first pilot is so great!
Happy weekend, hug Elke

Rika said...

fun page, love the picture in the cockpit.

Gillena Cox said...

Sew stylist. OMG how gorgeous us this tag.
Happy Tuesday.

Much💖love

pinky said...

Your tag is just gorgeous Erika. I love how the stitches go down to the bottom and you finished them with the buttons and thread. Genius idea. Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday this week.