Friday, March 1, 2024

I'm A Guest Designer

Hi everyone. Yes, this is a second post from me today.πŸ˜€

I'm really honored to be chosen as a guest designer over at Creative Artiste MIxed Media blog challenge for the #102 challenge. Their challenge always starts the first Friday of the month,  which just happens to be March 1 this year.

For those of you who may not know me, I love mixed media play  time and getting messy with paints, markers, crayons, and inks. You name it, and I like to play with it. I love trying out new media too. 

Creative Artist's theme is always "Anything Goes" as long as it's mixed media, and  here's a journal page I made.


I started with a piece of black water color paper that I attached to a page in my journal. To make the background I  used  a multi-flower rubber stamp and some white pigment ink.  I stamped the flowers  several times around the page.  I gently rubbed some areas to smear the ink a bit, and then I stamped the flowers with pigment ink a second time.  I wanted some shadow flowers because I like the depth they created on my page.

  Before I  heat set the pigment ink, I used some white embossing powder on the flowers also 

These stamped flower images have a hole in their centers, and I wanted to cover that. I chose a  bottle of Dina Wakely paint because it has a  pin hole opening that let me  make a dot in each flower. Before I made those dots, I squeezed out paint and used both a brush and paper towel/kitchen roll  to color the edges of my page pink. I also added a little smear to the background with some left over  paint still on my paper towel/kitchen roll.  I had also been using some gold paint on another page and when I wiped up the left overs with a paper towel I smudged that on the black also. 

Looking at my page I thought of a garden at night. To keep that thought going,  I die cut the ferns using a Sizzix die and some black paper. The moon is a gold metallic paper image from my stash. The face is made with an old die cut from Cheery Lynn Designs. I cut her out of off-white paper, and at first I thought I would leave her uncolored, but then I decided to use some very watered down watercolor paints to color some of her. The bow is a metal paper item from my stash.

I added the black metal paper trim to frame the edges of the garden, added the face, and then used a Paper Artsy quote from an older Alison Bomber set. I cut the quote apart rather than using it whole, but thought the words were perfect for my night garden theme.


Finally, when I downloaded the photo, I added a bit of black vignette  digitally just along the bottom and the top of my page. 

I want to once again thank the ladies at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge for inviting me to join them as their guest this month. ❤

I'm excited to see all the mixed media art that's linked up, and I hope you'll think about joining too.

23 comments:

Shari Burke said...

That is lovely--and I love the quote!

Angie's Recipes - Taste of Home said...

Congratulations!
I really love the background of the first page.

Tom said...

...this looks challenging to me.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Just returned from Cuba a few hours ago. This is just a brief comment to let you know that I am back in circulation and should be commenting again shortly. Need to check up on the news too. All the best - David

CJ Kennedy said...

You created a beautiful piece, and I love the quote. Enjoy the weekend.

Christine said...

Gorgeous page, guest designer!

Jeanie said...

Congratulations on being the artist of the month! That's terrific and when you see a piece like this one, it's easy to see why!

Valerie-Jael said...

Congrats on being guest designer, well des erved! Your page is GORGEOUS!Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

*Vicki* said...

congratulations on your guest spot for Creative Artiste! Your page is very lovely with the garden night theme! I love the background with the flowers along with the golden moon and quote! Very lovely details! Wonderful inspiration!

kathyinozarks said...

Congratualations on being guest designer! Beautiful piece
Hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

A nice, clever one!
I found that being on holiday I can enjoy not falling asleep straight away or wake up in the night.
It's warm but.... insects, so I stay inside ;-)
Looking forward to see more, dear guest-designer, hugs!

Anita said...

Love all the delicious layers in your journal page, Erika!! I love a night view, and your garden looks so beautiful. The quote is spot on too, great choice there. I'm so glad you decided to join us as a guest this month and share this lovely piece of art with us--thank you!! Wishing you a happy and creative March! xoxo Anita

Fundy Blue said...

This is beautiful, Erika! You deserved a guest spot. I agree with Vincent van Gogh. I love the night. Have a happy and creative March!

Judy McKay said...

Beautiful art journal page. Love the theme and all the layers. Very well done. Judy DT Creative Artiste.

Aimeslee Winans said...

I was so excited to see you and your gorgeous page when I got their email post. Congrats! Your page is very thoughtful and beautifully illustrated. Well done and Happy Happy Birthday since I'm commenting on your big day. I hope you have a wonderful day! XOX

Andree said...

A fabulous journal page Erika and a gorgeous midnight garden. The night sky is wonderfully deep with it's streaks of pretty colours illuminating the pretty blossom and lovely, serene looking lady.
Thank you for being a fantastic guest designer for us at Creative Artiste this month xx

Neet said...

I do like the thoughts you had with the white flowers - stamping them with pigment ink, some overstamped to give a different effect and some with embossing powder on them. Great tonal quality about the whole piece as a result.
The gold moon and the blonde young lady work as a complete contrast and draw you into the picture.
A lovely page Erika, congratulations on your being Guest Designer.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic art piece. I love this.

carol l mckenna said...

Very creative festive art work ~ love them ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What an incredible array of mixed media Erika, you've created a very ambient scene. How those white flowers pop out from the night sky along side the die cuts that give so much depth against that golden moon. Your chosen quote could not have been anymore perfect.
So glad you are Guest Designer this month, apologies I am later than intended coming over to visit.
Wishing you a happy crafty month Hugs Tracey x

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love how you used black paper and built up such an amazing background and I bet it took you ages to add a dot in each of those flowers too 😊. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer at Creative Artiste and for this fabulous mixed media inspired - perfect! Take care and Happy February ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Let's Art Journal said...

Of course, I'm a month behind, I meant to say Happy March ... Lol ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Ina G said...

Lots of fabulous mixed media bits here Erika. Lovely to have you share with us as our Guest at Creative Artiste this month.