Friday, March 29, 2024

Some Faces from Greece

Happy Friday everyone.

I'm posting today for Nicole's Friday Face Off  .  

     You might have read that I recently went and spent 10 days in Greece with a couple of girlfriends. My friends and I spent a couple of days in Athens. One of the things we saw in the city was the Acropolis (which I'll share another time) and also the Acropolis Museum where many of the excavated treasures from that ancient site are housed. I'm no expert nor an archaeologist, but I can imagine what it would feel like to be digging in the ground and see something ancient start to emerge from the soil. I also think it's amazing that so many of these pieces are still around.  It's too bad we can't take a quick trip back and be a fly on the wall to see what they were like when they were new. I'm sure there are many archaeologists and other people who'd love to be able to do that also. 



     I thought today I'd share some faces I saw in the museum. I don't have dates for each of these, but this collection contains  pieces produced during the Bronze Age  (3200-1100 BCE) right up through the  Byzantine period (330-1453 CE).  Most of the pieces I have photos of were from the period from 5 BCE right up to the early first centuries of the common era (or AD). ( And just a note, some area of the museum did not allow photos.)










     What is also really interesting is that underneath the walkway to and from the museum, is another archaeological site. 








      These buildings were from ancient  homes, including one that was what we'd call a mansion. If you're interested in more details let me know and I can do a post about this area.  

        That's all for me today. Have a great start to your weekend. 

















































 

18 comments:

Tom said...

...thanks Erika, I don't feel quit as ancient now after seeing these faces. Take care and have a Happy Easter.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

No doubt a very interesting vision into the past. Lots of wisdom came from that part of the world. Think only of Plato, Socrates and Aristotle. Hope you got time for some natural history exploration too. All the best - David

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, what an awesome museum-Yes I would love to see more.
Happy Friay and Easter weekend hugs Kathy

Angie's Recipes said...

The face of the lady with a broken lip is so gorgeous!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful photos and happy memories! Hugs!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So full of treasures! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful faces here Erika! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Lisca said...

Wow, that was amazing! That lady's face, with eyes that seem to look at you and, what seems like, tears streaming down her face.
I also like the godesses sitting on their thrones. One of those was found in our nearest town, and dates from a similar era. So I guess I could conclude that the Greeks were also in southern Spain.
Lovely photos, keep them coming please.
Have a lovely Easter weekend,
Lisca

Violetta said...

Never been to Athens but several times to greek islands,which I love very much. Acropolis seems to be a wonderful place if you like ancient things.
Have a good time and all the best
Violetta

Jeanie said...

That looks like a fascinating museum, Erika. Isn't it amazing when you think about that and how long ago it was. I'm going to love this series of posts -- I can tell already!

Carola Bartz said...

These ancient places are just fascinating. Even though I grew up with these kinds of historical sites right around the corner (from an American perspective) and in my native country as well, they don't lose that fascination. I actually find my interest getting much deeper the older I get. I like the faces you chose to show us - just look at all the detail and the expression in the faces. All done laboriously by hand without the help of any modern tool. And they're still there - I doubt that anything we build nowadays will last that long except for our plastic trash.

peppylady (Dora) said...

My dad always want to see Greece.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Great photos, brings back memories! Over Christmas college break in 1977, I went with a school group to Olympia and stayed at a working olive farm. We "helped" (not much) harvest olives, make olive oil soap and even goat cheese. The countryside experience was nothing short of fabulous for me at that time. We traveled to Athens for one day and toured the sites, but I really loved the rural area where we stayed. XOX

Iris Flavia said...

My doc is from Greece and has his signature always also in that language. Fascinating.
As the museum, yes, please, more! Hugs and to holidaying!

Mia said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photos, Erika. You are very good in taking photos. The faces you chose to show are fabulous, but my favorites are Karyatides (the ladies on the upper floor). Big hugs, my friend.

Fundy Blue said...

How I'd love to go to Athens, Erika. Greek art is amazing. Please share more. Happy Easter!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It is amazing to see these pieces from so many years ago, thanks for sharing, Erika. There is so much detail shown in these works and it is indeed amazing to consider that the tools used in their creation were primitive by current standards, yet perhaps much more effective.

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed seeing these faces.

All the best Jan