Friday, March 8, 2024

Lowell National Historic Park-Part 2

 Hi everyone. Happy Friday. It's almost the weekend too, so for many people, it is almost time for a little down time. 😏

And FYI-today's post is a bit on the long side. 

    This past Wednesday I shared some photos and info from a trip last month to Lowell National Historic Park in Lowell, Massachusetts. My daughter and I  visited this park back in early February when she had some vacation time before starting a new job. Here's my Wednesday post if you're interested in reading it: Lowell National Historic Park-Part 1.

    Since it is time for Nicole's Friday Face Off and also for Gillena's Friday Lunch Break , I have some face photos today, as well as some photos from the museum at the Historic Park.  The museum is on the floor above where the park has a large number of actual still working looms.


   This historic park had me thinking about Fabric/Textiles, and how it is one those "things" that most of us probably take for granted.  Textiles are all over the place; in clothing, linens, towels, curtains, rugs and other items too. I'll use clothes as an example. 

    We go to a store or go online and buy clothes. Or perhaps we get second hand clothes from someone. Or maybe you even sew and just get the fabric to make your clothes.  Obviously we couldn't have clothes without the fabrics that make them. (Unless we shot all the animals and ran around in fur, but that would definitely decimate the animal population. 😒) I don't know about you, but other than the type of fabric something is, I don't usually think about what it takes to make  the fabric. 

  I can see why weaving fabric by hand would take up so much of a household's time before mechanization came into play. Clothes were needed for warmth, privacy and protection. Yes fabrics could be bought, especially specialty materials like silk, but it was often out of the budgets of many people. It also explains why clothes closets were small or weren't even put into many older homes.  People didn't need them because they didn't have all that many outfits. Unless of course they were wealthy.

   Mechanization was good for fabric production, even though there were a lot of negatives too. Not only were the early workers subject to long days, no safety constraints, and relatively poor working conditions, there were also nasty environmental effects like  dyes and other discharges.  I could probably write a whole post about the pros and cons of mechanization, but I think you get the point without me doing that. 

       The mills in Lowell were historically  about making cotton fabric. I liked this glass tube they had in the museum that showed the results of the entire process, starting with  the actual cotton. To keep this short, I'm not writing about each step but you can see in the photos how the original cotton changes to become, eventually, fabric.


The cotton must be cleaned and then spun to be  turned into thread.



The thread is woven into  cloth, which might need to be whitened before it is finished.


 And it might then need to be dyed to create colorful threads, or perhaps the entire sheet of fabric is dyed.


And then you get bolts of fabric.
 (Sorry for the lousy clarity on this next photo. I think I smushed my finger over the lens on my phone before I took this photo.)


After production,  the bolts of fabric have to be shipped to their destinations.


      I really like this (above) photo because of the perspective of the museum display with  my daughter. She loves fabric, as you can see from  all the various types in her outfit. She also is a clothes horse extraordinaire. And she is a pretty decent quilter too.

     Historically, the importance of making textiles was right up there with getting food. The oldest garment found to date (based on my internet search as I am not a fabric expert) was from somewhere between 3482-3012 BCE/BC in Egypt. You can see it and read about it here if you are interested: Tarkhan Dress. Sadly, fabric doesn't often survive the millennia things like pottery, sculpture, tools and buildings do, and a lot of early archaeologists didn't  bring the importance of fabric front and center in the research, mainly because even they found it, it wasn't showy and usually very decayed. 

      I was also reading about natural versus synthetic fabrics. Although natural fabrics (cotton, wool, linen and silk) come from non-man made sources, man manipulated those sources in order to have the fibers to make fabric. One example  is how sheep have been bred for millennia to have more wool, and wool that does not shed. The ancestors to today's sheep shed their woolly "fur" or had people pull it off. (Rather like having a shedding dog and pulling off clumps of hair.) Sheep are most likely the second oldest domesticated animal right behind dogs because wool makes fantastic yarn then used to make fabric.

     There are books written about textile production, types of textiles, uses of textiles, etc. I've read quite a few, but this is a blog post (and it's already pretty long) and not a book about fabric.

OK, this is enough for one post. I'll end this post on the lighter side with a selfie my daughter took of herself and me on our day out.


If you're interested my final Lowell Park post will be scheduled next Wednesday.

I hope my look at fabric wasn't too boring.  I will be missing the next couple of weeks of Friday Face Offs and Friday Lunch Breaks as I'm heading out on a long planned and twice postponed girls trip. 
Have a super weekend.



















21 comments:

Anonymous said...

We take fabric for granted. Lovely photo of you two! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have little doubt it was a very interesting visit. All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Would love to visit the museum too...really fascinating.
Your daughter has your lovely smile :-)

sirkkis said...

You and your daughter seem to be very delightful there in the textile production historical heaven 😍
I'm wishing both a very happy weekend 😘👍

Gillena Cox said...

OMG thank you for sharing your photos; fantastic.
Thank you for linking to AFFF

Much♡love

Tom said...

...thanks for the tour, I'd love that place!

DVArtist said...

This is a great trip and visit. I would love to visit here. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Jeanie said...

I don't know a lot about textile production so this post was especially interesting to me. I'm always intrigued when i see the work of weavers or the whole idea that we can take a string and turn it into an article of clothing. But on a mass scale, it's an entirely different thing. I loved all the photos and the background, too. Thanks!

Mae Travels said...

Before wool, cotton, or linen fiber can be woven or knitted, someone has to spin it into thread or yarn — and this step was a major time-eater throughout history until the Industrial Revolution with mechanized looms and spinning jennies. In fact, all women spent their spare time (when they weren’t cooking, cleaning, caring for children, etc) with a spindle in their hand, and there was never enough fiber to meet demand. Even very wealthy and aristocratic women were always busy with their spindles. Those who didn’t marry into other domestic duties spun all the time and they were thus called spinsters (no kidding).

As you say, the history of fabric is totally fascinating, and the role of the Industrial Revolution was overwhelming and now forgotten.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you two had such a good time! Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful post. Nice pic of you and your daughter. I hope you're outside today enjoying the sunshine.

Iris Flavia said...

WOW on the first pic and no to furs ;-)
I often do think. We have a PRIMARK here. Once, when still working for cgs here in the heart of the city I had a "lunch-accident" and quickly went there for a replacement.
After one laundry it was done and ended up in the rubbish bin.
Made in China, I saw some docus on that. Horrible conditions in all those countries.
I hardly buy clothes anymore, but if I try to see it´s good quality and lasts a long time.
Wow to the Tarkhan Dress´s age!
Cute selfie and this was not boring at all, hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a lovely photograph of you with your daughter.
Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Awesome photo of you and your daughter, she looked so comfy in all that wool and down. Have a great trip and we wil see you when you return, xoxo

Julie Ann Lozada said...

I love aesthetic and vintage museum like this, i really enjoyed your photos.

http://www.itsjulieann.com

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Amazing what they used to do back in the day. Interesting how some things have changed so dramatically, while others have hardly changed at all.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fascinating post. I learned a lot reading it, too. In the first photo, I noticed what looked like a decayed piece of the apron (at the bottom). I remember when my grandmother made all my clothes when I was in kindergarten and grade/grammar school. By the time I got to high school, the cost of fabric had increased so much, it was more economical to buy ready-made than to make clothes. I was especially interested in the various steps taken to go from the cotton taken from the plant, to the cotton fabric we know today. Really fascinating, and a great FFO entry, too.



ashok said...

Thanks for taking us there with this post

carol l mckenna said...

Oh you captured the Museum in Lowell MA so well ~ great you shared time with the daughter and have a wonderful time on your up coming trip
` hugs

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I worked for a lady, who is now past. She had an Aunt who worked in Triangle shirt factory. Lot of those people in past wasn't treated well by the owners and mangers.
She did survive the fire.

Neet said...

I remember visiting the weaving sheds to go and see someone when I was a tiny child. It was very noisy and difficult to breathe with all the cotton fluff flying about.
Your visit to the museum looks very interesting but what struck me the most was "Two Peas in a Pod" - you and your daughter. Gosh she looks so much like you.
Hugs, Neet xx