Thursday, March 7, 2024

Thursday Art

        Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.  It's a wet early morning at my house, but warmer than usual, so instead of snow, the wet is mostly rain. And all the rain, means we have a lot of mud too. It definitely feels like spring, which is great, although this year we have record setting ice outs so you can tell it's been a warmer than usual/normal winter.

       One thing I want to share today I have a page for Chris' On All Fours challenge over at Art Journal Journey. My 4 legged animals for today are dinosaurs. 


      I die cut the dinos and colored them in with inks. Since we don't really know what color dinosaurs were (Thanks David for linking me up to Jakob Vinther and his work on dinosaur coloration. They can now infer what colors many dinosaurs were) Since many dinosaurs are closely related to birds who come in various and sometimes bright colors, many dinosaurs were also brightly colored. And I didn't include feathers, but many dinos probably had feathers over at least part of their bodies also. 

      I haven't added any postage stamps to my art in a long time, but I love mail art, so I created a set of fake postage stamps for my page.  The actual white stamps are die cuts, and I used some number  and some dinosaur skeleton rubber stamps for the images. I need to correct myself since the pterosaur is an ancient reptile and NOT a fly dinosaur, even though it lived at the time of the dinosaurs.

     The palm trees (the closest I could come to some of the tropical trees found when these quadrupeds lived) are also die cut, and I stamped the postmark and the special delivery with some ancient postage related rubber stamps  I had in my stash.


And you can see the quote better in this above close up photo. It is from an Art by Marlene set. 

Also for today, I have a tag for Pinky's challenge at Tag Tuesday. The challenge is Rabbit or Hare, I Don't Care.


      I had a page I painted with some shiny blue paint, and while it was wet, I laid the tag up against it which made a few blue blobs. I then used some purple ink spray and a paper towel to color the rest of the background, except that  I took some dark blue ink and inked the edges of the tag. 

       I then used that same blue ink and  some bunny word stamps and stamped them several times on the top of the tag. After that I took some flower paper and die cut the big bunny. I drew in the eyes, filled in the ears and gave the tail a bit of sparkle. The tag still needed something, and I remembered I had a die that cut out all these little confetti sized bunnies. I used the die two times, and then took all the bunnies and glued them down on my tag.  I hope if she's the Mommy bunny she didn't give birth to all these babies at one time. 😏

       That's all for me today. 






 

19 comments:

sirkkis said...

Wow, there is something exciting happening...
I just recently watched a TV-program about the history of dinosaurus, and speculations of how they at the last totally disappeared from our planet - after living of thousands millions of years here!
Have a nice day xx
P.S. your tag is cute :)

Tom said...

...mud season means the winter may be coming to an end!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

In fact we can establish the colour of dinosaurs, Erika. Due to work by Jakob Vinther in 2008, a method to identify colours in fossils was revealed, so that provided skin or feathers are preserved, paleontologists can accurately reconstruct dinosaurs in the full splendour of their time upon the Earth. Exciting, huh? All the best - David

Jeanie said...

This art is just happy! I like your bunny!

Christine said...

lovely pages!

Neet said...

Well, we live and learn. I had no idea dinosaurs had feathers. I guess I even thought the flying kind had skin like wings rather than any feathers.
However, I love the journal page you have given us today. Gorgeous pops of colour with the dinosaurs themselves against that earthy sandy background. The silhouetted palm trees are a stark contrast and look fabulous. Love the postage stamps. I thought they were real and was marvelling at the one split in half.
Really enjoyed this Erika.
Hugs, Neet xx

kathyinozarks said...

awesome art Erika, love the first on allot
hugs Kathy

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page, a lovely surprise to feature dinosaurs but yes, they do have four legs and this is such fun! Some interesting facts too! Thanks so much for adding this to my AJJ theme! Loving the tag, haven't made a tag for ages Hugs, Chrisx

DVArtist said...

Your dinosaurs are so clever. I mean the entire page. I do like the rabbit too. It's animal day here. Love to see these on FFO. Have a very nice evening.

Sandra Wright. said...

A fabulous Tag with your beautiful hare. Great colour palette too.
Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesday x

craftytrog said...

Great tag, and I love your dinosaur page Erika!
It's looking very Spring like here now, as we have lots of flowers blooming and blossom on some trees.
Happy Friday, and World Women's Day.
Alison

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed reading about dinosaurs. How impressive. And I love how you created those faux postage stamps, too. It"s great for Chris's theme at AJJ. You rock.

What an adorable bunny tag. You have a lot going on in that tag, too.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your dinosaur page and that is a great tag )

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

I'm impressed that you have dino dies. Fun page with the postage stamps/edging. And I love the paper-pieced mama bunny. xoxo

CAAC said...

Cool art and facts on dinosaurs! I love the colors and textures of your art designs!! :)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like the idea of a pink dinosaur.

Michele said...

the tag is fully beautiful! i love the flowers. thank you for linking to tag tuesday! xo

pinky said...

Loving your dinosaurs page Erika, very cool. Your tag is absolutely gorgeous. What a sweet and colourfully bunny!! Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday!

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful tag Erika. Happy Tuesday.

Much♡love