Thursday, August 29, 2024

Art in Brown

Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.

August is winding down very quickly. I would have been back to school for a week now if I was still teaching. It's weird, but I still get  back to school thoughts and slight moments of anxiety  come late August. I'm starting year 5 of retirement so you would think I'd be past all that. 😕 I guess after 36 years in the classroom it's so ingrained in my head that it's going to take awhile before I get to the point where I don't  have any back to school moments. If that ever happens.

Today I want to share my final page for Jo's Wonderfully Wild challenge at Art Journal Journey. Thank you Jo for a great month.  This was a great theme, and I liked how wild could be about so many different things.  I also want to thank everyone who joined Jo for this challenge. 

Keep in mind it is only the 29th of the month, so you still have a few days left to join.


For my final journal page I went with one that really feels really wild to me.

     I started by attaching an 8x8 inch piece of paper down in my journal. I knew I needed to cover the edges around the paper, and I wanted something that looked more natural so I used some paper bag scraps as well as some handmade paper scraps.

     The  image at the  bottom of my page is made using 3 different dies with black paper and also a piece of yellow paper. You can decide whether you want this to be  sunrise or sunset. The bear with his surrounding  background (Frantic Stamper) actually had a frame around the top, but I cut it off. The sun and the hill (by Hero Arts)  is another die cut, and finally I used the tree perspective die cut (Tim Holtz) to tie the whole combination of images together. I finished the page by stamping 3 quotes from an old Technique Tuesday stamp set.


    I also want to squeeze in one more tag for Pinky's Seashore challenge at Tag Tuesday. I went vintage with this one.

     I used some watercolor paints on the background, and then stamped the seahorse, sea star and the postmark onto the tag.  I added a bit of torn washi tape. Finally I finished with the bathing beauty and the quote. All the stamps come from another old set  put out by T.J. Designs rubber stamps. You might remember them.  Here's a photo of the set I found online. I think most of the companies  I remember from when I started stamping have gone. It's sad, but then there's some fun new ones around too.


That's all for me. Have a great rest of your day.





 

14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Yep, I have to remember that starting next week I have to remember that school buses will be out on the roads so I’ll have to leave extra time to get to places. All the best - David

Tom said...

...brown with soon be a predominant color, until then I'll be enjoying green.

Angie's Recipes said...

I like that vintage tag the most! School has already started last week here....

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, I left school looong ago, finished studying loooon ago and yet in mymind I still "go to school" in my mind....
Bears are scary...
Love the vintage. My new boss to be wore something similar yesterday.
To a great day - summer here!!!! Hugs

CJ Kennedy said...

Your page is very New Hampshire. Lots of black bear (my animal totem) stuff in the souvenir shops. I’m glad it’s back to school week, because it’s quiet and not crowded here at Weirs Beach - CJ

Jeanie said...

I get those same back to business feelings every September and I've been away from the U for 11 years. It seems to blow in with the change in the weather. I do love your art this day!

Divers and Sundry said...

I can't believe it's the last week of August. I like your blessed are the curious quote

Christine said...

Lovely art!

The Happy Whisk said...

36 years, it's understandable to still feel those feelings.

pinky said...

Don't think that feeling ever leaves you Erika but it definitely makes me smile knowing I don't have to go back in September lol. My hubby and I both worked in the same school and are both retired now but we live very close, 2 minute walk, so still hear the school bell and the noise of the kids! I love your bear page, very cool and thank you so much for sharing another gorgeous seaside tag. I love the vintage feel. Thanks so much joining us at Tag Tuesday where you ALWAYS inspire us!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your wild bear page is stunning! I love the texture and the beautiful silhouette against the yellow is amazing 😊. It takes time to decompress when you retire, the nice thing is that when you think of things that make you anxious you can say to yourself, it ok it doesn't matter anymore 😀. Thanks so much for all your support this month at Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Jo x

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

The journal page is amazing, Erika! Very close to my heart.

-Soma

Aimeslee Winans said...

Aw, I had a closer look and Tweety Jill, I do remember her! I am really digging your creations, these are fab, the pulpy paper is cool. xoxo

Sandra Wright. said...

An amazing Tag, love everything about it. Thank you Erika for joining us at Tag Tuesday x