Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Wild in My Backyard

 Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday to you. 

I want to share another journal page for Jo's Keeping It Wild at Art Journal Journey. Today's page is all about some of the "wild" in my backyard.


In my yard there are acorns from the all oaks in the woods around the house, grey squirrels and dragonflies. I even have some wild blueberries growing in the woods near my driveway. 


     I started my page with a cool leaf background that I pulled out of an old Somerset Studio magazine. Then I added a tag and a squirrel image to my page. I die cut leaves and used the stamps that came with the dies to give my leaves some texture. No they are not oak leaves, but I have plenty of other trees in the woods too.  The acorns and the dragonfly are clear stickers that I added. The clip on the tag and the blue berries are punch outs. The quote is another ancient stamp from my stash, and I used an old die to cut the bottom trim.

      And I've had a lot of actual “wild" encounters lately.



      I think the success story is all the wild turkeys I've come across in the past week or 2, including this mom and older youngster who have spent a lot of time in my yard lately.


     Wild turkeys had disappeared from New Hampshire back in the 1800's. Then in a second attempt to repopulate the state, some were released in 1975. Fish and Game estimates there are at least 25,000 wild turkeys now in the state all originating from that release. I seem to run into them everywhere in my town.

      The other day at work I spent some time watching this kingfisher "hunt" in the lake. He was a bit far off, but I think you can make him out enough in my photo.


     The wild blackberry patch on one side of my driveway is thriving. I have to eat all the ripe ones before my son-in-law shows up and eats them on me. Grin.


Caterpillars are everywhere too.


This is one of the many white hickory tussock moth caterpillars I've seen. While working at the boat ramp one day there was a whole army of them. 

And this woolly bear was in my yard on my grape plant.


      The woolly bear folk lore is that the more brown, the less severe winter will be. The more black, the more severe. I don't see much black at all, so if the legend is correct, it should be a mild winter. But I'm not holding my breath about that one.

       And my wildflower garden has gone wild with both native  flowers and some giant phlox which have seeded themselves into the plot.


     And finally, this corn-like plant has grown up around the base  of where my bird feeders are.  My husband won't let me cut it down because he's quite curious about it. I know it's something that's grown from fallen seed, but I'm not sure if it's corn or not.  


That's all for me today. Have a great middle of your week. 









22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

How wonderful to see the family of Wild Turkeys. That’s one species that has done well and has adapted even to urbanization to some degree. They even show up in my backyard from time to time to feed on seed spilled from the bird feeders. If a neighbourhood cat is so bold as to get too close, it pays the price! It will be interesting to learn what the mystery plant is. I must say I am astonished to see an expression such as “my husband won’t let me” in 2024. I guess we still have a long way to go! Those words would never - never - issue from Miriam’s mouth! Nor should they. All the best - David

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome photos Erika and I really love your journal page very much-happy mid week hugs Kathy

Angie's Recipes said...

That turkey family crossing the road is just so cute and that white caterpillar actually looks pretty awesome.

Tom said...

...I love the "turkey trot."

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! Loving how you captured the nature on your doorstep and the background to cute squirrel is amazing 😊. I remember seeing the turkey family's crossing the road when we visited Maine too. Thanks for the memories and for another wonderful page at Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Cute page. We have a herd of turkeys that have been visiting us late afternoon. Calli gets very excited when the girls come to call. I hope the wooly bear is right about Winter. Bundle up today!

Iris Flavia said...

This is some VERY WILD post! :-) That caterpillar is so cute! Have a happy Wednesday, hugs

Christine said...

Lovely photos

Jeanie said...

Great nature pix today. I love the turkeys -- we see them too. And the kingfisher. Splendid!

Lowcarb team member said...

Stopping by to say thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences on Eddies passing.

I do hope to get back to regular blogging soon.
In the meantime, my thanks again to you.

All the best Jan

PS I enjoyed your art and photographs.

The Happy Whisk said...

Excellent garden photos!

Violetta said...

Oh, wild turkeys - I hope they are safe......next Thanksgiving is coming LOL. Have a good time and thanks for stopping by at my blog.
Violetta

Neet said...

Such a lot of interesting wild life in your post today. I have never seen a kingfisher in real life although we do have them here in England. Not so the wild turkeys though, how strange to see them walking out like that - on a Sunday stroll - to me, not you as you seem to have them everywhere.
Love the caterpillars.
Your journal page encompasses all autumnal for me. I haven't seen any acorns as yet but the floor was littered with beech nuts somewhere we went the other day. Squirrels play in our garden and are so funny to watch as they tumble and chase one another. Of course they can be destructive but they are cute to watch.
Loving your journal page Erika
Hugs, Neet xx

R's Rue said...

I love blackberries.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rostrose said...

Wow, dear Erika, I think your journal page is very well done and harmonious! The grey squirrel is cute. The clip looks deceptively real. I'm glad that, in addition to this beautiful page, you also had actual encounters in the wild - the sight of wild turkeys is something really great for me - especially with the chicks. It's nice that they have settled back in. The sight of the kingfisher is also pleasing. There is one in my current post too - but a New Zealand subspecies of it.

Wild blackberries are growing rampantly along our garden border, but to be honest they are a pest: they are never edible because shortly before they ripen they are apparently sucked dry by some kind of beetle or bug. But they try to climb through the entire garden and cause a lot of work... It's nice that your garden is so lush and also a paradise for insects. The caterpillars look interesting.
I'm curious to see what happens to the corn-like plant... I think it could be teosinte, the species from which corn was bred: https://evolution.earthathome.org/grasses/andropogoneae/maize-domestication/
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/08/weltreise-2024-abschied-von-neuseeland.html

PS: I've finished the first third of the book "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" and I love it. Thanks for the tip!

sirkkis said...

Oooh how much green plants in your garden🐛🌻🌿

*Vicki* said...

Oh my gosh your page is so cool! I love how you've done your background with the green tones and textures! It certainly looks similar to my backyard too! LOL Your photos are amazing and the family of turkeys is something I haven't seen...cool!

Mrs.B said...

Wow! nature is definitely in your back yard, great photos.
Avril xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Wild turkeys! How exciting. I'm a fan of all your critters except the gray squirrels. Fun to watch, yes, but they have a bad habit here of invading attics lol

craftytrog said...

Lovely photos of the wildlife Erika, and I love your page!
We have a couple of young squirrels regularly visiting our bird feeder. I've even named them Peanut & Chestnut. I don't mind them visiting, their acrobatic antics make me smile, and the birds do get some of the food!
Enjoy your weekend,
Alison

mvmaithai said...

Several years ago I saw wild turkeys in my family's neighborhood in Brookline. A friend also report sighting turkeys in our Malden neighborhood. Haven't seen blackberries in Ma, but there are lots in TN, along the riverbanks.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Very nice wild nature page and Ben Franklin would be happy to see all those turkeys! xoxo