Thursday, August 1, 2024

It's August Already

Hi everyone. Happy August!

     July has flown by, and now that it is a new month, it's time for a new challenge at Art Journal Journey.  Before I get to that, I want to thank Halle for her fun sewing themed challenge. I loved pulling out some old stamps and dies that I haven't used in awhile. Also, thank you to everyone who joined in too. I hope you had as much fun as  I did.

     For August we have a new host. This time we want to welcome Jo who you probably know from her blog Let's Art Journal.  Jo's theme, as you might have read on the AJJ web page is 
Wonderfully Wild


My first page for August is this night themed one. I pulled out a nature themed  journal that I started working in late last summer. It's good to get back to it and make some new pages in it. Today’s page  started when I found this piece of paper in my stash. The paper was one of those pull out pages from some older issue of Somerset Studio.

I also had the vintage owl image, and I thought it not only looked good on my background, but worked with the little owl peeking out on the bottom of the background.


I added the owl. I also added some clear stickers of a dried flower and some leaves. I like how they blended in a bit with the background, especially the big red flower.

I also created some photo corners using some chipboard hardware. I painted the chipboard with some rusty brown paint, and then I lightly inked it with some black ink to age it. I also added a paper clamp on the top of the photo. It's a punch out photograph of a real clip, not actually a real clamp itself.

Finally I used some short quotes and stamped them on the top of the page which is about the only place they really showed up.


     I hope you'll be excited about Jo's challenge and join in. But please don't forget the dreaded rules. At AJJ we only accept art journaling, but you can attach any kind of journaling that matches the challenge. Please no tags,  ATC's, dimensional art, etc.  And if you link up through social media, please be aware people may not be able to comment on your post.

     And before I sign off, let me wish Chris good luck with her other activities. I hope we still see you around at AJJ frequently, and I'll miss you as one of admins. 

     Have a great start to this new month and I hope to see some "wild" journaling at AJJ. 

 

17 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The owl looks really great! Where is that little owl? Geez, my eye sight is getting worse.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautifully wild journal page! I love the owl image and how you incorporated it into your design and all the textures and elements look stunning together 😊. Thanks so much for having me as Guest Host at AJJ and wishing you a wild and wonderful August! Hugs, Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How impressive. That background is perfect. I really love what you have done with the owl and the frame. I was quite surprised to learn about the blue clip, too. That was genus. Thanks for this great first entry using Jo's theme at AJJ.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love you wonderful page with the owls, so beautiful.And so much to see and enjoy! Have a great day, hugs!

Tom said...

...have an Awesome August.

Iris Flavia said...

I love owls (though I took a break on the book and am now flying to the moon).
Great page, though a little autumn-y already? Here another summer day- hugs to that!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I see an owl and maple leaves and my happiness index is topped up in an instant. Doesn’t take much to keep a naturalist happy. All the best - David

R's Rue said...

Amazing.

Neet said...

That's a great owl image - he looks as if he is intent on catching something good tonight for tea.
Love the background but cannot find the little owl but I am sure I can see a frog or toad - I haven't a clue how to discern one from the other.
It looks quite a textural piece with some lettering and leaves and I do like the photo corners you made.
Hugs, Neet xx

Christine said...

Lovely page for the new theme!

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the colors and textures of your page, and the owl is a great addition. Your page has a bit of a Fall feel. I hope August doesn’t rush by as quickly as July did. It’s still Summer! Looks like a great day shaping up. Enjoy

*Vicki* said...

Wow this is such a stunning page for Jo's challenge theme! I love the owl with those wild looking eyes and the texture with your leaves is very cool! Give me the Halloween feels! LOVE IT!

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy August! The dog days will be here soon.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Bet you enjoyed flicking back through your nature themed journal always a treat to flick back on previous work and then continue on.. What a fabulous page, always adore the owl amazing dimension in your papers and added detail.
A very lovely scene.
Wishing you a Happy creative August Hugs Tracey xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hey there! Thanks for checking on me. I have been so disoriented after almost 2 weeks offline. I blogged and will do one more in a bit. But wanted to visit my peeps a bit first. Love your page, a very handsome owl and collage. XOX

Jeanie said...

What a lovely entry for this new theme. I'll enjoy seeing your work!

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful page Erika! I love the owls and that background.
Hope you have a good August.
Alison