Sunday, August 11, 2024

My Little Summer Journal Part 2

 Hi everyone. I hope you're having a lovely weekend so far. 

     Today I have a few more pages from my little summer  journal. I made the cover using some scrap cardboard , and the pages are made of folded and slightly trimmed then stitched index cards. I'm quickly learning how it is hard to work on both sides of an index card with certain media as the paper is not as "tough"  as some other papers are. But learning about ideas and material is part of the process of journaling, Still it's fun making this journal and trying out some ideas in a very small format.


On this first page I used some stamps from a very old set from Cornish Heritage Farms. I went for an almost symmetrical layout, and I colored the images with some water based markers. Then I used some yellow watercolor paint to give the background a bit of color.


     I really like this next spread. I stamped the flower words (a single background stamp) and added some Art By Marlene punch out images. I added the line around the sun, but in summer, you really need some of both types of weather otherwise you either flood or have a drought.


And here's another garden themed page  made with some stickers, a crepe paper flower and a couple of punch outs. I drew the vine of leaves around the border.


This little strawberry girl ffrom Janet Klein and AALL & Create is a favorite of mine. All of the images on this spread except the tag (which was in my stash) and the hearts (also in my stash) are from that stamp set.


This next page has a chipboard net image, as well as some punch out images and some scrap paper along the bottom. I stamped the quote, inked the background slightly and added some clear sequins.

And to celebrate July 4th, I used a foam firecracker stamp and some red paint. Then I fussy cut the fireworks and attached them to some striped paper (that makes up the background of my spread). I used paint to make the lighted fuse, added some glitter glue exploding fireworks and added a few punch out hearts from my stash.


For my next page I used a lot of colorful Art by Marlene punch out flowers. I added 3 flamingo sequins and a couple of sticker phrases/words. 


Here's  one insect that I don't mind except when they get into the house. I must admit the lined pages aren't making me live this journal, especially on a spread like this one where they are so obvious. I may have to do something to this spread just to make the lines less obvious.

A black foam ant stamp (another very old piece in my collection) and some black paint was what I used on this page. I think if this book would lay flatter I could have gotten some sharper stamped images.

And finally, on this last page, I went "wild" with some colored shaker card sprinkles. I had just a few left in the bottom of a jar, and I figured I might as well use them up. Plus they really perk up this page.

I am linking up today's post to Jo's challenge at Art Jounal Journey because  not only are the ants wild animals, but because of all the wild colored sprinkles on this last page. I am also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles.

Have a a great rest of your weekend and start to the new week. 

21 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

They are all my favourites! So fun and happy time!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, what a sweet journal
Happy Sunday-this month is going fast already
hugs Kathy

Tom said...

...enjoy all of the spectacular summer stuff before the fabulous fall stuff arrives.

Jeanie said...

Your journals are always so fun -- I love how you see your world in art on the page!

Iris Flavia said...

Some light in m life today at least, thank you and hugs.

Jamie Ghione said...

Love these pages. Especially the ice cream , the fireworks and the flowers.

Anonymous said...

So nice -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

The pages are all gorgeous. The last one has to be my fave as it's about ice cream! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a cute journal. That will be a fun journal to flip through when it's cold and snowy outside. Sunny and nice outside today. Enjoy

Gillena Cox said...

Wonderful summer journaling. Thanka for linkkng to SundaySmiles, Erika.

much♡love

Divers and Sundry said...

I like each of those pages. They put me in a summertime mood and have me wanting to get out the grill👍

peppylady (Dora) said...

I love your smile sun.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

So cool! I can only imagine how much work went into each of those pages. But beyond the work, it is your creativity that is really impressive!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Erika! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I really appreciate your wonderful comments!!! And I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed seeing all of your beautiful and creative art journal pages. They are all so different and amazing in their own special way. My favorite is the one about ants! I love the sentiment!!! Thanks once again for everything, Sharon

The Happy Whisk said...

I love the one eyeball. That's fun!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a cool summer journal! Loving your pages, all of the designs are fabulous and so detailed and you captured a lot of what I enjoy about summer from BBQs, sunny weather, time in the garden, flowers and ice creams (your can keep the ants though ...lol 😊). Thanks so much for sharing your summer inspiration with us at Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is a fun looking Summer journal. Beautiful.

*Vicki* said...

Oh my gosh this is just as cute as can be! I love your idea of making a Summer themed journal and how nice that you have a smaller size to work on with an index card! Love this idea!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh how cute and what patience that took! I immediately recognize Kim Hughes' stamps from when she was a designer at CHF! I have a few of her other sets. Wow, well my fave spreads are the garden, the nautical and the ice cream! A fab little book all around, xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great way to use index cards. These are all amazing. I love the last spread, but they are all SO well done. Thanks for sharing these with us at AJJ using Jo's great theme.

Neet said...

Wow, someone has been busy. Fab pages, was going to say the weather one was my favourite but then I came to others that `I really liked and which stood out from the others so I cannot say which is my favourite now. Like so many.
Wonder if a light coat of gesso would help with the images not coming through on the other side? Just a thought.
Hugs, Neet xx