Sunday, August 25, 2024

Crows

 Hi everyone. Happy weekend to you. My daughter has been around this weekend, and she's keeping me busy. 😀 If I haven't managed a visit to your post(s) that's why.

     Today I have a page for Jo's Wonderfully Wild challenge at Art Journal Journey I've been wanting to create a scene for this challenge, and this is what my mixed media/collaged scene ended up being. And no, I'm not rushing autumn, but this page just seemed to call for that season.


     I started this page by painting the sky a dark greenish-blue, which I really wasn't very happy with as it was too green. To fix that I sponged some brighter blue over it, and I painted some clouds. I like the blend of the two shades quite a lot now. 

    The "grassy" area started with some scraps of green paper that I had painted for another project. I ripped the paper in pieces and layered them along the bottom of the page. Then I used a black Sharpie as well as green and yellow Stabilo pencils to create the "layers" or a bit of topography of the field. I added the 2 trees which were both punch outs. I cut the swing off the smaller one in the background.  Then I colored in the trunks and branches to make them darker, as well as adding some green and fall colors to the leaves. 

    The quotes are stickers, and the crows are some die cut birds. I used one die for the larger crows. The smaller birds are not a specific crow die but more or less work for crows when cut from black paper. 

     I finished by adding a couple of quote stickers. 

     And here's a few random scenes in photos I've snapped this summer. I may or may not have shown some of these before, so if you've seen them, then I guess you just get to enjoy them a second time. Grin!








   I am also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles.
 Enjoy whatever is left to your weekend and have a great start to the new week ahead.



20 comments:

Hels said...

Where the crow is standing at the top of the pile of rocks, he/she looks like a royal, examining the estate.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great page and great views. Can never see too much of a good thing. All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

I can never get tired of the lake views you have shared...so keep them coming. The page looks autumnal and beautiful.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I stopped too soon! Since you feature crows on your page and corvids are among my favourite birds I am wondering if you have read any of the works by John Marzluff and Tony Angel? Fabulous stuff. And works such as “Ravens in Winter” by Bernd Heinrich, set as it is in the Maine woods, would be essential reading for you, and very enjoyable. In fact, anything by Heinrich is worthwhile.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning-I love your page very much, the colors are perfect and I love crows.
Lovely photos too-hugs Kathy

Tom said...

...these beautiful New England scenes are something to crow about!

CJ Kennedy said...

I like the crows and the color of the sky. Sadly, I've noticed the leaves beginning to turn down here. Hopefully, I will see beautiful lake scenes this week. I hope the weather holds out.

Christine said...

Lovely page and enjoyed the photos. Have fun with your daughter!

Jamie Ghione said...

More great creations ;)

The Happy Whisk said...

Excellent water shots. Wishing you a wonderful week!

Mae Travels said...

Beautiful photos. I love your dock from various angles.

You asked about Galapagos travel: I’ll answer right now — we always travel with Lindblad National Geographic for sea trips. They have several boats in the Galapagos, and each one-week trip goes to several islands — they have to comply with regulations that are designed to conserve the natural features of the islands, so that determines how many islands one trip visits. You can make two back-to-back trips if you want, and see twice as many islands. My opinion is that one week is enough as there are many activities per day and it’s exhausting! We have done many trips with Lindblad and have only good things to say about them.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

If you showed them before, I don't remember. I love them all.

Iris Flavia said...

Your lake-views are so wonderful!!!! My internet is like .... horrible, I hope I reach you, hugs

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy crows. We sometimes hear and see them, but they never come down to the feeders. Too enclosed a space, I think

mvmaithai said...

Lovely painting and pictures!

*Vicki* said...

What a very cool AJ page with those pretty trees! I love your scene with the birds flying around! It's about that time of year when they migrate! I love it and your photos! Thanks for the well wishes my friend! Have a great finish to Summer!

Iris Flavia said...

Such wonderful scenes!!! My internet-connection is broken, hope my comment reaches you, hugs...

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! I love the colours and your autumnal design with the crows, I can just imagine hearing their louds caws too as they fly in the sky - fabulous 😊. Take care and thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Jo x

Neet said...

What gorgeous photos you treat us to today. I so enjoy seeing your part of America.
I can see why you enjoyed making this page for your journal. What a delightful page it is. When we are at home we see big black crows and hear their loud caw as they chase the magpies away. It is the trees that make the page come alive - I just love the colours you have used in contrast to the beautiful blue sky. A sup page.
Hugs, Neet xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

This is one of my fave pages of yours! The sky is perfect and I love the color, plus that it was plan b. Glad you got some daughter time, xoxo