Sunday, September 15, 2019

Art and Books-What Could be Better?

Hi everyone. Thanks for visiting my blog today. Another weekend has buzzed right by and it is almost time for another week to begin. But wasn't it just September 1? Now we are almost half way through the month.
  I have some art for you and also a book post for those of you who may want to see what's been on my nightstand.
Here's my latest pattern page for Art Journal Journey. This month the challenge at polka-dots, stripes, plaids or patterns (PSPP for short). 
I began my page with a paint brush clean up watercolor page.  I stenciled a design using a lace image stencil  with some black  paint onto some thin white paper. Once dry,  I tore that paper into some bits and attached those pieces randomly to my watercolor base, and then I went back over part of the page and stenciled over some of my page with some soft modeling paste.
Originally I thought of coloring the  modeling paste part, but then I decided I liked the white color and left it. I finished off the page with a bit of stamping and finally coloring along with fussy cutting some stamped dragonflies from another sheet of paper.

And for those of you who are readers and may enjoy a book review, here's my last month and a half  reading/listening list. 
I share these mostly so I can keep track of what I have read, but I know I enjoy book recommendations and I believe some of you do also.
My goal is this year is to listen to all 7 Harry Potter books, and I am doing pretty well with it. I finished book 5 and now I am working on book 6.   Jim Dale, the narrator of these books, has an amazing voice range also, and he is  great to listen to.  I think I  prefer the stories being read to me rather than  reading them myself. It certainly makes my daily commutes much more enjoyable. Go Harry!
And my latest book club book was the Great Alone. I would probably never have picked up this book but I am glad I did. It is set in Alaska, and I found it quite an emotional thrill to read. I will say however, it seems a few of our book club choices lately have had an abusive male in them, as did this one, and I am ready for some nicer male main characters. But it was an easy read and I could read it quite quickly.  I do recommend it.
And below is another oldie, reread for me. The Historian is long ( a 28 hour listen), but I enjoyed it the second time around as much as the first. This time I did listen to it rather than read it in book form, but it is a great suspenseful story about the search for Dracula by 2 historians who believe there is enough evidence that he still lives in the mid-20th century. It is fiction, but I enjoyed the romp around Europe in the 1950's and 1970's. My only complaint is some of the story is the reading of letters by one of the historians, and maybe it could have been written more in real time, but that is a small complaint. I like its suspense and gothic (in the traditional sense) feel. It is not full of blood and gore, although there are a few random deaths, but for me a good fall read/listen. I don't know why but I always have an urge to read some good old fashion style gothic tales as the leaves begin to turn.
And do they find Dracula? I will leave that to you if you want to know I guess you will need to read the book.
And another listened to story was this children's classic.
I had never read the books, and of course books are often better than films, so I decided to listen to the Anne Hathaway version. I must say I really enjoyed it. And definitely not the film either. How much not like the film really surprised me.
Now my reading book mood lately has been mysteries, and I have been racking them up.
I am only showing only one of this Dr. Ruth Galloway series, but I am hooked on these. This is the last of 3 I've read since early August..(This is the 8th book in the series and I started with #1 in January.)  Ruth Galloway is an archeologist who assisted the police with investigations, and there is a whole cast of characters which are really nicely done. They show up in all the books and I think some of my addiction to this series is I like to see what everyone has been up to. But I do suggest you start at the beginning to get to know the characters as you go.

I also read the last couple of Louise Penny's  Armand Gamache mysteries so I am all caught up for the latest which recently came out. I haven't read that one yet,  but I think these are some of the best written mysteries around, not quite as easy a read as the Elly Griffiths one but just as good.
And (ha-ha), I keep working on my husband so he might become a bit more like Armand Gamache.
There's been a few other light and fluffy listens/reads, including the non-political book by the Bush twins and  a pie baking cookbook.
And there's a couple more mysteries on my nightstand to read (including the latest Louise Penny) and also my latest bookclub book by Barbara Kingsolver. All of which I look forward to.

Thanks for visiting.

14 comments:

Mia said...

I wish I had free time to read a book, Erika. I have watches all the Harry Potter films though. And the wizard of oz was a book I loved when I was 15.
But I want to tell you that your page is STUNNING. The result is gorgeous and the 3D effect spectacular. Thank you for sharing the instructions, my friend. Great inspiration for an amateur in mixed media, like me. Hugs!!!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Erika wow i love your journal page its so pretty,well done my friend ,oh i love Harry Potter,enjoy xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your artwork looks great. I always like dragonfly pieces. And you've read and/or listened to quite a few books. I started reading again a few months ago, then stopped again. I have a growing list of several books and short stories I want to read.

The weather was lovely today. (Yesterday was overcast all day, with rain overnight.) I think of gothic and Dracula and scary stories when the weather turns cooler too. I usually don't get into Halloween mode until Oct 1, but this year, the mood struck me Sep 1. I got some lawn decorations this weekend, which are already up, but I'll probably hold off posting photos of them until October. :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been working on reading one book since the first of the year. It's over 700 pages and I'm not even half way through it. Maybe I should get books on tape. That would certainly free me to be able to do other things while I'm listening as opposed to picking up that heavy book and reading it in my spare time. I want to read that Mystery series and of course, I LOVE Wizard of Oz, but have never read the book.

Your journal page is filled with many wonderful patterns today. You certainly achieved a lot of depth in this piece, and the dragonflies are the icing on the cake. Thanks for yet another wonderful entry that inspires us at Art Journal Journey.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art Erika, love your page, and you have been reading some great books. Reading is always so wonderful. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. what a fantastic page - these are amazing effects on it! WOW!
And you are such an book addict - great!
I don't find enough time, but at least heard some novels as audio books recently.
Harrry Potter - one of the best born literature prodagonsts of the last 25 years.

Happy new week master hostess of AJJ!
Susi xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful page. Reminds me of this end of Summer season. Where did the time go? So many books. I'm not a Harry Potter fan. I tried reading the books with the Young One. She would read to me on the way to school. We weren't that thrilled with the stories or the movies. Though The Eldest and Himself loved them. Looks like a nice week of weather. Enjoy!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you did that background.

I've read the HP books and the first one twice. Maybe it's time for a re-read of the others :) Fun reading. The Dracula story sounds interesting. The Oz books are so _different_ from what you might expect having seen the movie. It makes me wonder why the film makers went in that direction. They ended up with a classic, though, so I guess they knew what they were doing.

Lisca said...

i ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR BOOK REVIEW AND i SIT DOWN WITH A CUP OF TEA TO READ THROUGH IT.
Oh, I had the caps lock on, sorry. I'm not shouting.
I am one of the very few people that has never read a Harry Potter book (or seen the film for that matter). I had the intention of reading them and bought the whole series. But I never got round it and gave them to my son (who is in his forties by the way) who wants to see if they are suitable for his children.
I have only read one of the Ruth Galloway books (Number 2, The Janus Stone). Yes, they are quite good.
I also read The Historian.
Now I'm wondering which Barbara Kingfisher you are going to read. My favorite is The Lacuna. I also liked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I tried to read the Poisonwood Bible, but didn't get past the first few chapters as I found the missionary family so incredibly stupid and their attitude so awful, that I knew terrible things were going to happen to them and I wasn't going to be around to read about them. I never finished it.
Your pattern page is beautiful. I love the lace stencil.
Big hug,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

My copy of the Penny arrived today so I must speed read through another mystery so I can get on it! Cannot wait! Lots of these look good. The Galloways are on my Amazon wish list. and I also love your art today.

Meggymay said...

What a super selection of books you have been reading/listening to recently.
You have me thinking I will re-read the Harry Potter books again.
Your journal page looked fantastic as well, it looks as if there are many touchable textures, great to leave alot of white as well.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

One of these days I'm going to re-read all the Potter books, it'll bring back so many memories of reading the early ones to my children :-)
Your page is gorgeous by the way! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Listening to books being read is great in a car - I used to have one or two in the days of tape players.
My only reading these days is as a bedside book - a trilogy about Eleanor of Aquitaine at the moment and I have just started book 3! Hugs, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

The stencilled page is amazing... as you look at it, different images and text emerge from all the layers and texture. It's really great. Thanks for the book recommendations - there's some interesting looking stuff there.
Alison x