Monday, September 23, 2019

T Stand for the Wright Museum, Part 1

Happy Tuesday and T Day everyone. Time to share our drink related photos once again, and the last time for September too. Next Tuesday will be October 1, and I'll be at the halfway point of the first quarter at school. Boy this month is going a lot faster than usual for me. Maybe it is flying for you also.
Stop by    Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog  to join the T Day fun!

So last Saturday was Smithsonian Free Museum Day in the US. I want to thank Elizabeth for introducing this to me because it has gotten my husband and I out to visit some of our local museums in the past couple of years. 
This year's choice was my husband's pick, and I must admit  I wasn't very excited about it.
  The Wright Museum is in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, which is town next to where we live. It was convenient because my mother-in-law lives in that town, so the plan was that we would drop the dogs off with her while we visited the museum, and then go back to enjoy what would most likely be the last summery weekend weather  of the year.  She lives on a small lake, so after looking at the tanks and the jeeps, we could go take a quick dip in the lake to cool off  and have some dock time to relax and just enjoy being outside.
I thought any museum with a tank coming out of its building and called the World War II museum has to be a military museum right? 
Wrong.
I should have looked it up on the internet instead of making an assumption because although the museum does have an exhibit about military items, it is mostly about life in the US during the years of 1939-1945.
And it has lots of cool things.
Here's a few.












You'll have to excuse the lighting issues. Below is looking into the Time Tunnel, which brought you through each of the years with exhibits.



I took lots more photos, even of the military items. I enjoyed seeing things my parents had spoken of,  as my mom was a young teenager during those years, and my Dad (as well as 2 uncles) served during the war. My Dad and one uncle especially loved to tell us their war stories, and now as an adult I can understand the adventures they had as well as how frightening it must have actually been. (My Dad worked with Army intelligence in Asia and my Uncle flew bombing raids over Germany from England with the RAF. ) 
Anyhow, enough of me babbling. I have more photos to share another day but first I need my drink photo for T Day, so here some from the museum.



Thanks so much for joining me on my museum visit this week. 
Have a good day!




19 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I am glad you were able to take advantage of museum day-I think that is such a great way to get people out to visit them we don't have any near us.
I enjoyed all the photos
Happy T Hugs kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

What a cool museum! I thought it was just going to be military stuff. So cool to see what things my parents used, prices they paid. My mother was a seamstress so the old Singer machine made me smile and think of her. She worked on a heavy duty factory machine called a Wilcox and Gibbs and even had one at home. Hope you enjoyed he glorious weather this weekend and today!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an incredibly fun and interesting museum. I look forward to seeing more of it, too. How many photos did you take? I took a mere 769, far less than I expected I would.

I so enjoyed seeing the artifacts, the games, the fun dolls, etc. from this museum. I also loved how you shared the drink photos, too. It's amazing how Coke influence the war, isn't it? Thanks for sharing this great place with us for T this almost Tuesday.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Erika wow what a great place to visit with lots of interesting bits and pieces,thankyou for sharing it with us Erika xx

Kate Yetter said...

This was my first year participating in museum day and it was quite enjoyable. I love how the variety of photos you shared from the museum especially the book full of vintage dresses and the coloring book. I used to love watching Sonja Henie and Shirley Temple movies growing up.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the pics of your visit to the museum, so many interesting objects and information. They remind me of the things available when I was a kid. 'make do and mend' was always the motto back then! When I was in Brooklyn in the 1960s, being able to drink coke was my BIG luxury! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

A home on a lake, wow!
Wright... planes, not tanks come to my mind - or a Singer (hubby can sew, I sadly can´t).

A Time Tunnel - a great idea!
My family did not like to share stories of "back then", I only found out bits and pieces by chance.

"Coca Cola goes to war".. oh. Crazy how times are a changing...

craftytrog said...

It looks like a very interesting museum Erika. So pleased it exceeded your expectations.
Happy T-Day!
Alison xx

Barbara said...

What a fun post, so many items of nostalgia!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

That was a fascinating stroll down memory lane, Erika. I was born just after the war. So I remember seeing many of those things Many gas stations still had Coke coolers like that. My best friend's mother had a treadle driven Singer those she used until the 1960s. Love the doll house, but I love all doll houses 😉

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Meggymay said...

Wow, awesome photos Erika from the museum visit, it would be on my list to visit if it were near us, I really like seeing how things were for the folk at home during the war years. Thank you for sharing the visit and I am looking forward to seeing more photos. It was really interesting to see the list of prices and how they changed in a few years, that happened everywhere I think.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

It's interesting to see an entire museum dedicated to a particular time period. Such a variety of artifacts they have, and it's interesting to compare the photos you shared with what Mother told me about those times and with what life was like in my house during the Vietnam era.

Lake time sounds like a wonderful way to life and a nice place to visit :) Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

I enjoyed visiting the museum with you, the exhibits are so cool 😀. That tank coming through the wall is amazing and it was interesting to see all the items as it's the era my mum and dad grew up in too. Wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Jeanie said...

As much as I like WWII museums (or WWI for that matter), I think this would top it. It's fascinating to see how the home front managed during the war -- the toys, the patterns, the way they lived. I'd not heard of this museum but if I was in the area, I would definitely make a stop.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great photos from the museum. I enjoyed seeing the vintage items, and what prices were then. Happy T-Day!

Sharon Madson said...

I had gotten our tickets, but we didn't make it out to museum day. Thanks for sharing photos of yours; it looks very interesting. I had to read the 1945 prices to my husband, especially the Dow Jones average, as he follows that pretty closely. We were laughing. Wow! Have a great rest of the week.

Lisca said...

What an amazing museum! I would have loved to visit that. I absolutely loved the cut-out dolls. I remember my mum talking about Sonja Henie. I also recognise the patterns that people made their own clothes from. They were used well into the 50s too. Make do and mend was big in Europe too.
The sweetheart jewelry was interesting to see.
Thank you so much for taking me to the museum.
I'm sorry I am late in commenting. We've been away camping on the coast and there was no wifi on the campsite.
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Caty said...

Really interesting post Erika !! Love to visit this museum with you, thanks so much for sharing your great photographs with us. All the items are fabulous, I remember my grand-mother had a singer like this one, and I think that one of my aunt has got it now.
I wish you a very nice Friday, and send big hugsss
Caty

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry to read that we missed a possible free visit on museum day😕 but we do plan to visit the Wright Museum...and since you live near Wolfeboro and would be traveling from Nashua, maybe we can manage to meet up for a drink, Erika. That would be nice.