Friday, September 13, 2019

Last of the Ocean Journal

Hi everyone.  Friday and the workweek is almost over and another weekend is almost here.
Smile.
Do you remember the journal I was working on this past summer with an ocean theme?  It had fold out pages and being summer, I was thinking about fun by the sea.  
Or in this case, fun in the water.
This last spread  is a fantasy page about mermaids.
And seashells along with polka dots too.
And since polka-dots fit my challenge this month at Art Journal Journey, I am linking this spread up.
Check out the polka-dots, stripes, plaid and patterns challenge and all the fantastic art linked over at Art Journal Journey. Big thanks to all of you who have linked up already!

My favorite part is the waves. I made then by painting on acetate and then cutting them out. I like the effect the created and think I am going to use that little find again.
You' also might not be able to tell, but the  mermaid here on the above right hand side is made from paper clay in mold. I then painted and colored her in.
Autumn feels like it is here in my world (even though yesterday we had some summer warmth), so my urge to be a mermaid is put back into the bottle until next summer.
Happy weekend!

14 comments:

Meggymay said...

Wow, this is a joy of a journal spread, the mermaid images made me smile in a happy way this morning. Great details and quotes. I love these pages.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Your mermaid page made me smile. So refreshing to see a zaftig mermaid. We'll be saying good-bye to Summer, today. Have a good day at school.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your mermaids, they look very happy in their beautiful, wet, underwater world. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Your mermaids crack me up! And the waves are terrific. I love how you pulled them together. really fun pages!

Caty said...

OOhhhh your mermaids are absolutely Gorgeous Erika !! Looove them, and love the amazing backgrounds you have created. This paper is wonderful, and the waves are fabulous. Your clay mermaid is so lovely, what a great Art !!
I wish you a very nice weekend, enjoy, and I send big hugssss
Caty

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great to see this final spread in your Ocean journal, Erika. It is beautiful. I like how you shared how you made it, like the waves (which I thought was clever). I've never used paper clay before, but I can see the benefits in a journal or altered book because of the weight you would save over poly clay. This turned out great and finding that fold-out journal, then filling it with beach fun, must make you feel even better. Thanks for sharing this final entry with us using your theme at Art Journal Journey, too.

Divers and Sundry said...

"Done adulting" :) I would feel right at home with these varied sea beauties :)

Mia said...

Great spread, Erika! A great inspiration for me. I never thought that I could use fold out pages. You created great scenes, my friend. Kisses!

froebelsternchen said...

Your mermaids are incredible Erika.What a magical spread this is! A fantastic entry for AJJ again dear friend. Enjoy your weekend! Hope you will have a summer feeling still, like we have it here.
Big hugs, Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your ocean journal pages look absolutely stunning! I found myself looking at it for quite a while, the layers of detail is amazing 😁. We have a sunny weekend ahead of us - yay! Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, this is a fantastic fold out spread. I always like sea themes.

craftytrog said...

Such fun pages Erika! I love them all! xx

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely amazing pages - like you, I love the acetate waves, rippling from top to bottom of the pages, and I can see that the mermaid is moulded - what a lovely touch of extra dimension. The bikini bather with her cocktail in hand put a smile on my face - that's how to enjoy summer! A wonderful finale to your summer journal. I'm planning to be along to play with some patterns soon... it's a busy month!
Alison x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! and Wow! again! Love this - the waves do look so good! Hugs, Chrisx