Monday, November 15, 2021

Beach Walk

 Hi there everyone. I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

My husband and I are traveling right now, and we spent the weekend in the desert. It's been in the 90 degree range (around 32 degrees C), and I've been in my shorts. I must say this dry heat is much easier to deal with than the humidity at home in the summer. 

Once I get photos squared away I will have some to share.  Today we head back to the coast and begin a drive north. We fly home from San Francisco at the end of the week. (We aren't visiting the city though as we won't have enough time and have been there a couple of times before anyhow.)

I am joining the others at Art Every Day Month, so let me share something not very desert like for day 15 of the month.

Today I have some photos of a wild Atlantic Ocean that I took a couple of weeks ago on a grey morning beach walk with my friend and her dog. You can see all the seaweed and other  debris that washed up during a wet nor-easter storm we had in October.


The tide was going out, but there was still a lot of energy left in the water.



It's not unusual for lobster traps to break free during big storms, but definitely not usual when they come ashore still attached to their buoys.




And it's not unusual to see lobster traps battered  by waves and  rocks when they get ripped free during a storm. This one  (or a couple) is really crunched up. It almost looks like a sculpture.

There were actually a lot of traps washed ashore. I bet they smelled great to my friend's dog Cider.




The autumn foliage along the shore looked pretty, although not exactly what you think of for autumn foliage.


What was an aster is now some fluffy seeds.


Even thought it was late October, there was still a flock of sanderlings on the beach.  These birds are fun to watch, but you can't get close enough to get a really good shot when using your phone as a camera. They always fly off.



My friend's dog likes to chase birds, not that she can ever catch them. This send the flock further down the beach.


And lastly, up by the parking area (which is now open for free parking again), this artistic shot. The red rope really popped out.


Have a wonderful start to the new week. Thanks for visiting.


15 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos. Happy Monday.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Continue to enjoy your vacation, Erika. It's always good to get away.

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome photos Erika, I really enjoyed them all-enjoy the rest of your vacation-hugs

Divers and Sundry said...

That wild Atlantic coast! I can close my eyes and imagine myself walking on that beach :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy travels! Loving your photos, the black and white prints have such a dramatic and atmospheric look about them - amazing 😁. Enjoy your travels and wishing you a lovely week! Hugs Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, have a fun time! Love the photos of the sea and beach. My dog used to love birds, too, but never caught any! Enjoy your vacation! Hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

Those b&w shots are gorgeous and I wish I could join you the walk there :-)

Birgit said...

90! We saw snowflakes last night. I am glad you are having a nice time and enjoying the scenic views. I love your pics but hope the waste will be picked up. Love the fall picks but our fall has moved up by a month as our trees still have leaves. The heat seems to squash to brilliant red of leaves

Empire of the Cat said...

Ooh great photos Erika, the Atlantic and the Pacific are so different aren't they. I like both versions of your photos but I do love a b&w photo, and yours look great, really love that one with the red rope too, and your friend's dog is cute. Thanks for your visit yesterday and all your comments. Happy AEDM! Elle/EOTC xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Enjoy your vacation ...
I enjoyed these photographs.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh those beach scenes look so inviting to this land locked gal. I've never heard of sanderlings, but they looked like they would be fun to watch. Thanks for taking me away from my boring life, dear.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful beach photos Erika!

DVArtist said...

It's been a nice vacation for you. Enjoy those hot sunny days.

NatureFootstep said...

what a great beach. That is one thing I miss, walking barefoot on the waters edge. The water splash over my feet and remove my footprints :)

Sas to see all the trash but your friends dog seem to like it. :)

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you're having a great time and I love each and every photo. Oh, a big beach! It will be a long time before I see one.