Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veterans Day

Hi everyone. 

Today is Veterans Day (why do I always want to make this word possessive?) or Remembrance Day, Poppy Day. Armistice Day. This particular holiday goes back to ending of the First World War with the Treaty of Versailles. It was interesting to read that in the UK Remembrance Sunday is held on the Sunday closest to today, November 11. Other countries celebrate a similar type of day at other times of the year, but here in the US Veterans Day is always celebrated on the 11th of November.

I don't feel like I know much about the first World War (1914-1918) and that I know more about the pandemic which struck towards the end of the war and into the years that followed, sometimes called the Spanish Flu.  

Since all Veterans are remembered today, I am thinking about my father and 2 of my uncles who served during the second World War and who always regaled  me with their war stories as I was growing up. My Dad was in Army intelligence and served in India and China. One of my uncles was in a submarine in the Pacific Ocean, and my other uncle was in the Army Aircorp and flew bombing raids with the RAF out of England. He had the most "exciting stories" as his plane was struck during the last flight he would have had to take, and they were able to make it into Sweden where he spent the rest of the war working as an attach to the top US General posted there.  He also liked to tell his stories all the time, especially as he got older. What a scary adventure all 3 of them had so young in life (no different from any soldier  in any war though), and since they have all passed now, I must say I miss their stories.

Today for art I have another journal page for Chris' challenge at Art Journal Journey. This month the challenge is All Kinds of Weather. To coincide with Veteran's Day, can you see the orange-red poppy plant growing in the window of the house?



I used a background paper I pulled out of an old Somerset Studio magazine. The house was outlined, but I colored it in, added the die cut window and drew and painted ( with paint pens) in the plant. The sun  is a die cut also, but I had to cut around it to make it a circle for my page. The quote is an ancient Penny Black image from the early 2000s.  It didn't stamp well and I so I used a Sharpie to go over the letters and darken it.  I also used a grey ink pad  to add some mist to the page. Finally I added the boy.

I am also linking up to day 11 at AEDM  at Leah's blog.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

16 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

My mother's father served in WW1. My dad told Grandpa participated in some of the biggest battles of that war. Dad served in the Philippines with his hero, Douglas MacArthur. My brother served in the Viet Nam war and earned a bronze star. Neither my father or brother talked about their experiences.
I'm glad you pointed out the cute poppy, I don't think I would have noticed. I zeroed in on the big sun and wishing for warmer days.

DVArtist said...

This is a brilliant post. I love the art.

Divers and Sundry said...

Many in my parents' generation were veterans (WW2), and I remember those who served on this day.

craftytrog said...

We do celebrate Armistice Day today in the UK Erika, with wreaths being laid at The Cenotaph and 2 minutes silence at 11am, but also we do have Remembrance Sunday. Hope you didn't mind me putting you straight on that point ;-)
Wonderful art as always.
Alison

R's Rue said...

I enjoyed reading this post.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love that bright sun - I hope it cheers the little boy up. Thanks so much once again for a fabulous page for myth theme at AJJ, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

yes, I can see the poppy plant :) Wish I had one. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

We shall remember them at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, and again on Remembrance Sunday.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope you get used to the time zone change in CA, Erika. I found it fascinating to read about the men in your family who sacrificed, and managed to come home. Lovely tribute.

Great page for Chris's theme today. I like the little boy, the window, and the sentiment. Those old Somerset Studio papers are the best. Thanks for sharing this with us at AJJ using Chris's theme.

The Padre said...

Truly Powerful - Well Done

Iris Flavia said...

We... "we" celebrated carnival yesterday. How very disrespectful and dumb.
None of my family was involved with Hitl#r and I am proud of that.
War... will never end, it´s so useless and sad.
But yes, we need brave men and women who help fight dumbness and cruelness and we should honor them.

Great page in more than one way.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous piece, Erika, love how you put the poppy in the window. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Neet said...

What a lovely touch to put that poppy in the window. A truly delightful journal page today Erika.
Thanks for the story of the relatives who served your country.
Hugs, Neet xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Love your page today, and the poppy in the window. We do celebrate on 11th but we also have Remembrance Sunday, we also have a family birthday today so another reason not to forget. Sorry running a bit late, Happy AEDM! Elle/EOTC xx

Jeanie said...

Thi is a lovely piece -- and a beautiful remembrance!

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page for Chris's theme at AJJ Erika and thank you for sharing your family memories on this special day that we should all remember and give thanks to those who served to keep us safe.
Yvonne xx