Saturday, November 13, 2021

Weekend Art

 Hi everyone.  Happy weekend to you. 

Today I want to share a page I made quite awhile back, and that I then modified a bit for Chris's All Kinds of Weather challenge at Art Journal Journey

Here's the original.

 

I went through a pattern book (the kind you see at stores to pick out what you would like to sew) that I own and cut out lots of hats from it.  I then collaged them on my page. I added lots of black dots for a bit of interest to a plain white background, and the quote is made of individual letter stickers.  Finally I added a bit of white stitching along the edge. I probably should have used a color or a variegated thread, but I was a little concerned it would take away from all the hats.

I then played around digitally with the piece because I thought there were too many random colors, and here's what I came up with that I like better. I think it looks more cohesive this new color scheme. Also some of the edge stitching shows up better.


Funny how just changing a color (or several) can make such a big difference. Which one do you prefer?

This is also my entry for AEDM-day 13 over at Leah's blog.

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy your weekend!






12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful collage with the hats and faces. And I like the b/w one best, too. Hope you are enjoying your vacation, hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Brilliant! I love all of those hats Erika!
Happy weekend,
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

I like them both, but I prefer the more colorful one. The hats are a clever way to comment on the weather. Enjoy the sunshine today!

NatureFootstep said...

I agree with you. This is a more pleasing color. :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an AMAZING difference color made in the second image. I love it. So glad you found a way to use it, because it is perfect for Chris's theme. Enjoy your time away, dear.

Empire of the Cat said...

I can't decide, I think the second one but then I do like all the colours in the first one. How handy to have an old pattern book, that would be very useful. Happy AEDM Elle/EOTC xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love both of your pages - funny how your focus point changes when it is in black and white. I am now on a massive catch up, having had a very busy mid week. Thanks so much for a fantastic page for my theme at AJJ, hugs, Chrisx

Birgit said...

This is a fun page because I love hats and you show so many..love it.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful. Oh, hats. Once I nearly had the police coming due to one, LOL!
I thought I lost it. Asked for a red hat and they mistook it for a redhead, thinking I lost my child. Asked "which size" and luckily I didn´t tell the truth (child size) but said, "well, my size!!!"

Meggymay said...

Two fantastic versions of your page Erika, if I had to choose it would be the second one in black and white, but I couldn't say why as they both were so detailed with all those brilliant hats.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm always in for a hat. So many interesting choices here. I'd love to try on a few :)

Neet said...

Sorry I have not been around commenting for a while - arthritis in my thumb is causing problems typing.
I don't know which picture I prefer. I can see what you mean about the less colour but I do like hats and it was so interesting to see them in the different colours, Sorry I am so indecisive - but this is a hit with me - I love hats (don't suit them but still love them).
Hugs, Neet xx