Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Heat Wave

 Hi everyone. I'm back today with another page for Chris' All Kind of Weather challenge at Art Journal Journey. This is also my post for day 3 of Art Every Day Month over at Leah's blog.

My page today brings us back to summer when you might have been having a heat wave. (This thought is nice since we are quite chilly this morning!)

 

These ladies decided to enjoy the hot day at the beach. I really like this stamp set from Funky Fossil because the heads are separate stamps from the bodies allowing you to mix and match. All my ladies have the same bathing suit, just in different colors. I think the one in the middle spent too much time in the sun or didn't use enough sunscreen. Smile.

I started my page by stenciling some flames with red, yellow and orange paint. Once dry I stenciled with black paint some random letters. I then created this giant thermometer. I made that by first adding a piece of white fabric tape to my page. Then I drew the thermometer's glass bulb. The white tape was a bit too white, so I used a dab of red paint on a wet towel and rubbed it over the tape.  I then used more red paint to fill in the thermometer, and when that dried, I used some clear drying glue over it to actually make the bulb. Finally I used a black Sharpie and a ruler to make some gradations.  No need to worry whether this thermometer is in Celsius or Fahrenheit. Perhaps it could even be in the Kelvin scale, but these ladies don't look like they are in a scientific lab unless their study includes wearing bathing suits on the beach.

 I created their beach with some tan paint and some small  colored beads. The swirl is how I laid out the glue to create some sand like texture you find at the beach.

Finally I used the gold stickers (once again not photographing correctly) to title my page.

Hope you like my weather inspired page.

And thanks so much for visiting.

16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, I love your new page with your sun-bathing, quirky figures! The hot colours are great. The thermometer here is rather lower! Another really funtastic page for Chris's challenge. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

So beautiful! I can't wait for summer arrive!

WendyK said...

Fabulous page Erika, love the ladies, I think the pink one has cooked herself.

R's Rue said...

So lovely.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, this is such a fun page-I love it
Happy midweek hugs

Mia said...

This is beautiful, Erika. These ladies are SUPER!!! Thank you for the inspiration, my friend. I admit I had not understood the theme for AJJ, but you helped me a lot, thank you. There is still sunshine in Greece and the temperature is around 25C degrees. Kisses!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely brilliant Erika. Oh those sunny Summer days! The thought of them makes me smile but seeing your sun seeking ladies I have a big broad grin! I love those hot colours - a truly super page. Thanks so much for sharing for my AJJ theme, Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

What a fun page, I love those ladies and isn't it fun when you can change heads on bodies to create different characters. Yes, you are so right, the lady in the middle has obviously been in the sun too long. I think she must have some red tones in her hair, either that or she is just plain silly. Great idea to have a big thermometer in the middle - gosh that is registering hot hot hot.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps love the beads on the beach - very effective

CJ Kennedy said...

We could use a hot day at the beach today! This morning temps were in the 30s O-:

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is fantastic!!! I love your girls. This is a happy and fun piece of art.

Divers and Sundry said...

Fond memories of beaches :) It might be warm in November, but it also might snow lol Who knows?!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You always put so much into your journal pages, Erika. I love your thermometer and your stenciled scientific numbers and symbols. My kind of stencil. Thanks for another incredible journal page using Chris's theme at Art Journal Journey, dear.

craftytrog said...

Absolutely fantastic Erika!
We had our first frost this morning. Brrrrrr!
Hugs,
Alison

Leah said...

I like your use of typography in the background!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I love this one, so cute. I hope next summer we get a heatwave!

Meggymay said...

A fabulous summer sun page Erika, one to bring back memories of warmer days, I love those ladies as well.
Yvonne xx