Thursday, November 4, 2021

Sunshine and Leaves

 Hi everyone. Happy first Thursday in November. 

Things are chilling off a a lot this week. Our overnight temperatures are down in the 20's (around -4 degrees C). Brrr.  Time to dig out some warmer jackets for my morning walk. Welcome November. 

It is also dark at 6 PM. This weekend we change the clocks too, so on Sunday night it will be dark by 5 PM. I'm glad I'm no longer working and can enjoy more sun and outdoor time on these short days.  When I was working I seemed to never really get any fresh air and sunshine because when I was home it would be dark and when it was light I would be inside a classroom. I am definitely someone who needs some outdoor time, especially when it is sunny. The "happy" light for seasonal distress syndrome works much better when I can supplement with real sunlight. 

My page today is about that sunshine, especially how it important it is for photosynthesis.


Science lesson or lesson reminder time:
You probably know that leaves take in sunshine and use that light energy to make chemical energy. They convert the wastes from when we exhale  (carbon dioxide and water) to make the food that runs just about every living cell, glucose.  In the process plants make a waste product, oxygen. Plants use some oxygen to make the energy they need, but they produce more than they need, so they release it. Animals like us, then inhale that oxygen and use it to make our energy. We also eat plants, or we eat animals that eat plants, and get the glucose we need to survive that way. It really is an ingenious cycle.

That's photosynthesis in a nutshell. 

To make my page I started with blue paint and also some blue watercolor crayons. Then I hand drew the leaves on my page and painted them with some green paints. Once that dried, I cut up an old school overhead about photosynthesis and sunlight and layered that on my page. You can see a slight glare of that in the top left corner of my page. I glued down 3 golden die cut leaves, and then I splattered my entire page with some sunshine yellow paint. The splatter is supposed to represent all the sunlight moving through the atmosphere; its not just there for artistic effect (smile). Finally I stamped and added the quote.


This page is my art for Art Every Day month- Day 4 as well as for linking up to Chris' challenge at Art Journal Journey.

And our cool nights have meant frost.  The hydrangeas are pretty sensitive to the cold, but there is a short time before we get a hard frost that the colors are pretty.


Not only do you get a brief period with these pretty purple in the leaves, but the flowers  have so many different shades of blue, pink and purple too.

It won't be long before the leaves blacken and die. That's November for you.

Thanks for visiting!


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, Erika. I remember learning about photosynthesis in our biology lessons, long, long ago. We had a great teacher and I still remember it all well. Your page is delightful, such a happy page with the smiling sun! No sun here today, it's cold and misty. Have a great day, keep warm, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am always encouraged to learn of other people who need their daily outdoor "fix"! Even on the coldest day, or the stormiest day, I try to get out, if only for a short time. And when it is glorious, and sunny, with perhaps a slight breeze, there is no better tonic. The outdoors has been an integral part of my whole life.

WendyK said...

Fabulous page, and the colours on the hydrangeas are wonderful. It's very cold here with a wind that makes my eyes water.
Have a greta weekend.
Hugs Wendy

Angie's Recipes said...

The page is so beautiful. I really love the blue tone. It has been raining over here and I am thinking to turn on the heater already.

craftytrog said...

Great sunshiney page Erika! I love the leafy background.
Our hydrangeas in front of the house have turned their beautiful Autumn wine colour that I love this time of year.
Our clocks went back last weekend, making the days shorter. Not my favourite thing!
Take care,
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

Temps were in the 30s here and the sun is bright and shining like the happy sun on your page. I took the trash out this morning, but forgot to look at the hydrangea to see how it survived the transplanting! Stay warm!

Divers and Sundry said...

Our lows are expected to be 32 tonight and tomorrow night, so I need to bring the rest of my houseplants inside. Some years that can wait 'til after Thanksgiving, but not this year. Brrr!

That's a lovely hydrangea.

DVArtist said...

Very nicely done. I really dislike the changing of the clocks. Your photos are lovely too.

Mae Travels said...

There just isn't enough daylight in winter. And it's coming quickly. Your words and pictures capture this.

best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Neet said...

Don't those hydrangeas look wonderful with those pretty colours in them. I love colouring in a hydrangea stamp I have because I can play about with those colours. Guess it would look nice watercoloured too.
Thank you for a lovely page and that lesson in photosynthesis that actually makes sense to me now, didn't do much at school. Your smiley sun sits centre stage and made me smile when I saw it
It's dark here by 4.30 now but then the weather has not been brilliant so that also accounts for the darkness.
Hugs Neet xx

Rika said...

Fabulous page
and wonderful photos!

pearshapedcrafting said...

We already have those shorter days-but....its only 8 weeks till they start to get longer again. I love this colourful science lesson - it's a truly beautiful way to show how photosynthesis works. We have seen new blooms on Hydrangeas and Azaleas today - along with decaying ones. So pleased you shared this today at AJJ. Hugs, Chrisx

one irrational bean said...

Love your page and your hydrangea photos. It’s a great quote too. Can you send me recipe for key lime pie? Hopefully this will make it through, but I get a lot of oops, that’s an error, have a great day, Nanski

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really love the beautiful and sunny day you created for Chris's theme at Art Journal Journey. I love how you explained photosynthesis to those who were unfamiliar with it. And I klove your adorable sun in the center of all those leaves. It's a great page, dear.

Nice to see the hydrangea before they die out this year, too.

Iris Flavia said...

-4C, brrrr... Yes, I hate the dark, cold half of the yeaar.
Wish I´d had you as teacher - your photosynthesis in a nutshell sure is great!
The hydrangeas are beautiful!!

NatureFootstep said...

a great post to remind us that we need the nature many are quick to destroy.
There are only a few leaves left outside my balcony. Trees taking a break :)

Jeanie said...

I hate Daylight Saving Time with a passion.Love this piece, though -- and the science lesson! Learning something new every day on blogs!

Matilde said...

Beautiful page!