Sunday, November 21, 2021

The Autumn Sun and Dolphins

Happy Sunday everyone. 

Today I have another journal page for Chris' All Kinds of Weather challenge at Art Journal Journey and also for day 21 (already!) at Leah's Art Every Day Month challenge. 

My page today feels like late November in New Hampshire. The trees are mostly bare by now, except for a few of the brown oak leaves hanging on. The colors of sky can be really pretty and noticeable at this time of year since there are no leaves for those colors to compete with.  And it has gotten chilly. I've needed my winter jacket, hats and mitten during my morning walk. Brr.

I've often though that most months have at least one color associated with them, and for November in New Hampshire, it would be shades of brown, grey and black, except for the sky and sun that is.


My page started with me cleaning off some brushes. Then I stenciled the sun, the bare trees and also the deer.


 I did doodle in some details on the deer, and I added a stamped quote. 

Not the most complicated page I've ever made, but I like the peacefulness of it. 

And how about a few trip photos? I was able to get some  of my trip photos off my camera. 

One of the highlights ( well everything was a highlight except some of the LA traffic) of our vacation was a day trip out to Santa Cruz Island, which is one of the Islands in Channel Island National Park. We took the National Park tour boat out in the morning and then back in the afternoon. During the day we took a "ranger" (actually a volunteer) lead hike and did some exploring on our own. I'll show you photos and tell you more about that in another post.

On the boat on the way back that afternoon, we came across a super pod of dolphins. The naturalist on the boat said he thought there were upwards of 1000 dolphins in this super pod. They were all around the boat, and everywhere you looked were lots of dolphins. 

I've seen a few dolphins before, but never a super pod like that. Even the boat naturalist hadn't seen one before, and he was very excited. I think the 50 or so people on the boat all really enjoyed this lucky event.
 


They always look like they are having so much fun, don't they?

These photos haven't been touched, and I must admit I took probably well over 100 photos. Many didn't come out and were showing only water, but it was really exciting to see the dolphin "show".  Especially since it was dolphins in nature. I am guessing there was a lot of fish in the area to eat, but they are also curious creatures. I think in some ways they were checking us out on the boat as well. And maybe showing off too-smile.









In this next photo you can see part of Santa Cruz Island and some of the evening fog that was moving in on its higher elevations. 












Our boat followed them around for quite awhile. Then they went swimming and leaping off towards open ocean, and we headed on our way into shore.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.
Thanks for visiting.

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous photos, how lovely to see dolphins. I loved watching them in Israel! They are such wonderful creatures. Your journal page is lovely. I have trees for ANY tomorrow, too! Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

For AJJ!

CJ Kennedy said...

The color of November is grey to me. I like the deer you added to the page. We have them here, but usually I just see footprints in the snow. The dolphins are cool. Such an amazing sight and memory of them on your trip. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Neet said...

November is always tinged with sadness for me (too many losses over the years, and another one today) but your photos have put a slightly different slant on the day for me. What a joy it must have been to see so many dolphins enjoying themselves. 'Show off all they want' I guess you all felt. A set of uplifting photos dear Erika.
Love your blue reindeer and that beautiful big sun, it is a lovely day here after yesterday's rain the sun is shining.
Hugs, Neet xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Great photos! Such an exciting event.

NatureFootstep said...

both deer and dolphins are favourite animals of mine.
Love the painting and all the beautiful and playful shots of the dolphins :)

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Erika, I really love your journal page-I think the browns are perfect for November and I loved the sun and the deer.
Wow what an awesome thing to view all those dolphins-amazing! I really enjoyed all the photos of them thank you
Happy Sunday hugs Kathy

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Erika, I love the deer and that wonderful quote.
You got some great photos of the dolphins, what a marvellous sight to see.
Hugs,
Alison.
P.S. That WAS a photo of me in my blue raincoat, in the centre of my page on Friday. We were in Berlin with our kids for a weekend a few years ago.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It sure is a peaceful page, I can see all those trees standing tall like like soldiers ready to brave the approaching winter as the reindeer pass on by and carry on their day. Looks and sounds like you had a great trip away Erika, beautiful to watch the dolphins as they play and fish, you got some great shots. Hope you are rested and got some creative time today.
Hugs Tracey xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed your latest entry for Chris's theme at Art Journal Journey. I can't believe all the stencils you must have. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the trees, deer, and sun. What a great page.

I've been on several whale watching expeditions, and once we ran into a pod of dolphins. Not a SUPER pod, but we all got excited, regardless. I can almost feel your enthusiasm as you describe your experience. What a fantastic time you must have had, dear.

Jeanie said...

Those dolphins are absolutely stunning. I would have been breathless watching them. I can't believe you saw a whole pod -- fabulous!

The Padre said...

Double Thumbs Up And That Art Piece Is Totally Righteous - Fantastic Post - Big Hugs

Cheers

Meggymay said...

Fantastic photos Erika, it must have been an awesome sight to see those dolphins so close by.
Your journal page looks fantastic, so tranquil to look at, I love the scene you created.
Yvonne xx

DVArtist said...

Wow your art is amazing and those photos are beyond amazing.

Empire of the Cat said...

Wow, just wow, all those dolphins! I wonder where they were going as they headed out to sea. I love your page Erika, those deer look like they are off on a nature hike themselves, a nice little wander through the woods in the sunshine. Happy AEDM for yesterday! Elle/EOTC xx