Thursday, March 9, 2023

Cool Colors

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday. 

Another week is flying by, and this one, although I didn't think it was going to be busy, has turned out to be quite busy. Being busy isn't a bad thing except it seems to make the time go faster, but as long as you're having fun, that's OK by me.

Last week I was looking at a pile of ripped out  pages from a recent magazine stack I'd gone through. I decided rather than having these pages sit the same way the pile of old magazines had, the best thing to do would be to put them to use right away. I  put together a quick junk journal with some brown kraft paper and a simple stitched binding.

Here's the first spread.  It's  a combination of images and  backgrounds from some old Flow magazines, as well as lots of bits and pieces that were left overs on my work table. 


Ignore the slightly ratty edge of the inner left side. I left a few papers just a little too long so when I turn the page they crinkled up a bit.

 I'm  having a blast making these pages. I'm not sure if it's because there's "no rules" to how I  arrange the materials (and that is very freeing) or if I am just glad to make use of more materials and not have them end up sitting or tossed in the  recycle trash can.

I'm linking these up to Valerie's Anything Goes challenge at  Art Journal Journey. I am also linking up to Rain's  Thursday Art and Dinner Date.  This week the theme is cool colors, and there's a fair amount of cool colors on my spread.

This past Tuesday I went to visit my brother at his new house. Last spring he moved from Massachusetts to Ogunquit, Maine and moved in with his new partner. (My brother's wife died 4 years ago from breast cancer.) OK, this move isn't really recent but I hadn't been by his new home. He's on his college's teaching break this week, and  he happened to have some free time so he invited me over for a walk and a belated birthday lunch. Many of you know I love to walk, especially on the beach, so saying yes to this invite was a no brainer.

I didn't get a lot of photos on my walk because my brother is the athlete of the family. I was just thrilled I could keep up with him 😀. I did snap a few photos which I'll share because these are certainly cool colors which work for Rain's Art and Dinner Date .




I've been to Ogunquit but never walked the Marginal Way, and now I can say I've done it. Plus it was fun to spend the day with my brother and get to know his new partner better. I'd met her several times but those meetings were always at functions so I'd never had a lot of time to get to know her. We hit it off big time.😀


This is where we went to eat. Of course, I'd planned to photograph my lunch, but I got busy chatting and never did. Instead, I'll share this photo and just mentioned I had a yummy fish sandwich along with a pint of peanut butter stout. Both were delicious. This is  the closest you'll get to my food for the dinner date part of Rain's Art and Dinner Date today. Smile.

That's all for me today. I hope everyone has a great rest of your week and weekend ahead. 




20 comments:

Christine said...

Beautiful pages Erika. A lovely walk with your brother. I don't like being too busy.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your junk journal is super. I love Ogunquit. Teague and I are going up next month as she has a bridal shower. We are staying right at the entrance to the Marginal Way. Is that restaurant in Perkins Cove? Enjoy the sunshine today and tomorrow. I think we will miss the snow for Saturday, but the weather dudes are talking about another event Monday into Tuesday 😱

Cathy Kennedy said...

Erika,

We love Maine! We went to Maine for the 4th time last September. I'm still in the midst of sharing photos from our vacation. Anyhow one of the things we got to do while in southern Maine is visit Marginal Way. That was so exciting! I loved every second on the scenic, gorgeous ocean side trail. When we return to the state hopefully in the not-so-distant future, I want to go back to do it again. Our youngest daughter moved there in 2017 and loves it! It's a beautiful state but the harsh winters make it a place I can't see making a permanent home there. :) Have a doodletastic day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you had such a great day out including family time and a beautiful walk . Love your junk journal, you are having fun and that's always good. Thanks so much for linking to my challenge at AJJ! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, the flow magazine! It was good back then.
These pages came out great!
Nice you get along with your Brother´s partner. Wish I could say the same...
Wow, peanut butter stout sound very interesting! To yum and Brothers, hugs

Carola Bartz said...

The junk journal pages look great! Creating without any rules really is freeing. The area of your walk looks lovely as well, rough and a bit wild, just the way I like it. And fish sandwich always sounds good to me.

Jeanie said...

First of all, I love these pages. They really are such fun and make me smile. So glad you got to spend time with your brother. It sounds like a great day and the beach looks terrific!

Angie's Recipes said...

That page looks lovely and kinda cute! The beach view is just sensational, Erika.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love your latest spread. It is really fun to see you used all those varous bits and combined them. You are an inspiration. This is ideal for Valerie's theme at Art Journal Journey. Thanks for sharing it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Good grief. I published before I could say how scary those rocks looked that you ad your brother walked on. I would gladly join you for a peanut butter stout!!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a nice colorful journal page and I'm glad that you had so much fun with it, I feel the same way that time goes by much too quickly, especially with something like this.
You brought great photos from your brother's visit and it's great that you get on so well and that you had a great time with them.
Happy day, hug Elke

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous spread Erika!
Great photos too, a lovely place to walk and catch up with your brother.

Tom said...

...even in winter the coast is beautiful and only get better as spring and summer approach. Erika, you have collected some gorgeous greens. Enjoy your weekend.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Any excuse for a walk at the ocean is enough for me, and if it's combined with company you enjoy, and you get to make a new friend then it's a bonus from start to finish. I suspect you will be going back there soon. I think you should get in training, Erika, and become as fit as the proverbial fiddle, and leave your brother huffing behind you next time you walk the beach together. Then, he'll really be impressed! Hugs - David

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Ooooh great photos of Ogunquit and a wonderful visit. I can almost taste the wonderful food of Maine. Can't wait to go back for a visit some day. It's been years since I've been to that part of ME.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh I like the journal you made and wonderful collaged page. You had some nice images to work with. Maine looks nice, what a rocky coast and with snow, a sight I never get to see, lol. So glad you had that quality time with your family. XOX

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

So sorry about your brother's wife. I am glad he is putting his life back together and choosing another partner says a lot about the success of his marriage. Love your junk journal pages. You have an eye for design and the pages lead my eyes around to every detail. Beautifully done and yes, I can see the freeing feeling you got from doing them.
The walk in Ogunquit looks rather difficult. I would say some athleticism would be a must to make it through all of the rocky areas. I am assuming that you have some of that as well as your brother. Good that you are close to your brother. It is so important to stay in touch with family and appreciate them as much as possible ... I lost my sister years ago and I still miss her and she was a wonderful artist and I miss all that she would have done had she lived. Wonderful, touching post, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rain said...

The walkway is gorgeous Erika! Makes me dream of the Atlantic coast, can't wait until it's warm enough to enjoy going there again! Your collage is beautiful! ♥

Divers and Sundry said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit and a wonderful location. So much beach time. I can't even imagine it...

Neet said...

Peanut Butter Stout sounds intriguing to me. I was introduced to peanut butter years ago when I first ventured into America and stayed with a friend of mine. Became addicted quite quickly.
It must have been lovely to spend time with your brother and his new partner, so glad you got on well with the partner. Looks like a lovely walk along the coast.
that is a great journal you made. Lots of lovely colours and so much from the cooler spectrum. You do collage much better than me.
Hugs, Neet xx