Thursday, March 30, 2023

Primary Colors

 Hi everyone.

Today I am posting a page for Valerie's Anything Goes challenge at  Art Journal Journey. This challenge ends tomorrow, because it will already be the last day of March. Wow. This month has flown by, although  the beginning of March seems like a long time ago.

This is also my page for Rain's Art and Dinner Date. Rain's theme this week is primary colors. I'm really not fond of these colors when they are all together  without any other color (or black or white) to break them up, although each individually and when used in various tones and shades are great. You can see various shades of the 3 primary colors on today's page. Scattered around  are some reds, some blues and some yellows. 

I bought a roll of the new color chart tissue paper by Tim Holtz, and I was giving it a try on this page. I added an old photo (also another TH item), a piece of acetate, some art bits cut out of an old magazine page as well as a few stickers to title my page. I used a blue gelato watercolor crayon around the edge to finish off the page also.

I love the idea of art camp, and I must say I wish I was going to one this summer. I bet these ladies had lots of fun creating and sharing ideas.

For food this week, let me share the Victoria sponge cake I made last  weekend.


I actually wanted to try out this King Arthur Flour yellow cake mix. I was wondering how much easier it would be than making a cake from scratch. I knew it was a good tasting mix because  once I was at an event where someone had made cupcakes from it, but sometimes I wonder if mixes are really all that much easier than making from scratch.

 (Sorry for the shadow lines in the photos but it was raining, and I had all the kitchen lights on.)



I still needed to add butter, oil, milk and eggs, but I decided using the mix was a bit quicker and made fewer dirty utensils than making a cake from scratch. 

Since I didn't have room to store the cake in the refrigerator, I modified the Victoria sponge and  filled the center  with only jelly. Then I sprinkled powdered sugar on the top. I had a squirt can of  whipped cream that I used for the whipped cream when I served the cake.


Not fancy but still very yummy.  Maybe not quite so good as having some cream in the middle between the layers. And I liked how the mix tasted too. More like a homemade cake than some of the big name mixes.

That's all for me today. Have a great rest of your week.








20 comments:

Tom said...

...I think that I gained a few pounds just looking at that cake!

Mae Travels said...

Hi Erica,
Your cake looks good. My mother must have been one of the first adopters of cake mix when we were small children, so I was surprised that you seem new to them.

You said you have the Little Golden Book of Birds that might have been my childhood bird book. I wish you would post some copies of the pages. It would really please me to see them again, especially my favorites that I mentioned in my blog post (Red-winged Blackbird, the Red-headed Woodpecker, the Scarlet Tanager, the Bluebird, and the Baltimore Oriole). Online the cost of those Little Golden Books is enormous (like over $30) and I’m curious but not that curious!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elkes Lebensglück said...

You look very happy the ladies in the art camp and placed in this great background, fabulously designed!
Your cake is delicious and you had a good idea to make it like this. I wish you a lot of happiness
Hug Elke

Christine said...

The month went by quickly with this challenge. Nice page and the cake looks delicious! Unlike you, I love the primary colours together, always have.

Angie's Recipes said...

The cake looks soft and very tender. Have never been to a camp...

CJ Kennedy said...

Art camp is so much fun. One of the women I met at Enders Island called the class Coloring Camp. I hope I get back there this year.

I love the decals on your stand mixer. How fun! The cake turned out awesome. Good day to stay inside with warm cups of tea and a slice or two of cake

Divers and Sundry said...

I always use a cake mix, but I've never seen the King Arthur brand. I'll look for it. I imagine it would be better.

Jeanie said...

It's good to know they make a nice mix -- so many are kind of boring. I am on the hunt for the perfect cake for Easter. I wanted to do cupcakes and still might but it's Greg's birthday, too, so maybe a bigger layer cake. We'll see. I think I might decorate with a coconut nest in the center if I do the cake or make half the cupcakes with and half without if I do those (in case little guys don't do coconut! Some don't!). Don't think there's time to order a mix from them but time to revisit the cookbook. I love their cookbook.

Your piece today is very happy and I love the colors and the graphic. Makes me smile.

Iris Flavia said...

I absolutely love this page!
Great composition and camp sure sounds like fun and sharing creativity.

After we had to eat cake on Monday at the Birthday party my sweet tooth hibernates... ;-)
Hugs and to a great day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your cake looks great. Some cake mixes are really good. Love your fun and colourful page, I love that TH tissue you used, and the photo. And thanks for another page for my challenge at AJJ, and your great support this month!. The month has really gone by quickly, oh my! Art camp would really be fun! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I art love your page
I never used to use cake mixes because most in the regular stores are half chemicals-but ones bought from King Arthur, Bobs red mill etc don't have those bad ingredients in them so I no longer feel guilty--ha ha so much easier for gluten free too.
Your cake looks delicious.
Hugs Kathy

DVArtist said...

Ohhh lovely art and ohh that cake just sounds so good right now. Have a lovely day.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Erika! I absolutely LOVE your gorgeous page. The photo of the ladies at art camp is wonderful. Like you, I wish that I was attending an art camp. The comradery alone would make it so amazing. I really like what you did with the color chart tissue paper, too. The crayons and pencils add a special touch! Thanks so much for sharing this page with us, and for stopping by my blog, too. Your visit was special!!! Hugs, Sharon

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Erika, your page is the perfect use for that new tissue paper. Love the design and idea of art camp. And your cake looks very nice and tasty. You asked about my infusion treatment. Mine has been apothecarial, but most people's are marketed drugs like remecade. Just taken intravenously. Mine are more like how allergy injections work. It's getting harder and harder to get them because it requires an apothecary pharmacy. All because I have multiple arthritises. This is probably the last ones I'll be able to get. I do not envy you between 2 different doctor diagnoses. As for my Spotify song list I journaled, I got that from Spotify's analytics back then. I think you can google the top songs for any year you are curious about. I've done that before in the past for what I can't remember. Good weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never been to a camp of any kind, and it is doubtful I will at this point in my life, but if I do I hope they bake cakes like that! Hugs - David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For someone who doesn't like primary colors, you did a great job. I esecially love the background. LOVE that new tissue paper. And I really like the photo because it pops against those colors. Thanks for sharing it at AJJ using Valerie's theme.

Wow. Now I want cake. You have made me hungry for something sweet. It looks SO good, dear.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

If I had baked that cake, it would be gone before I finished the post. It really looks delicious and though I think I would prefer the cream in the middle, I promise you the jelly filling wouldn't stop me from eating it, Ha! So much for healthy eating, right?
Yes I see the primary colors in your journal page, but who are the people in the picture ... you called them a Tim Holz item. How can that be an item... does that mean you don't know those people? Hmmm ... they look like they are at art camp :) Anyway, fun stuff, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

P.S. You sound like me in your first paragraph ... so where did March go and why so fast ... or was it fast? My birthday seems like forever ago and it is in early March. Is it old age that makes time fly like that? Anyway, more fun stuff :)

NatureFootstep said...

wow, your cool art today really set my mind to school days loooong ago. :)

Rain said...

Hi Erika! ♥ Your cake looks yummy. I read a tip online to add an extra egg to make boxed cakes taste more like homemade! ☺

Rain said...

Oh and forgot to add...I would LOVE to go to an art camp! Wouldn't that be something, but I'm imagining actually camping and then doing art plein air with some like-minded art and camping lovers!!! ☺