Thursday, March 23, 2023

Thursday

Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.


Today I am sharing a page from the junk journal I am working on. The journal is made with brown kraft paper that I simply hand stitched along the spine. For those of you who don't know what a junk journal is, you basically glue down items that you  want to clean up (but you don't have to be cleaning them up). There doesn't have to be a particular theme to your book or pages.

My spread contains some images that came out of a small stack of magazines I decided to recycle. I also used bits from a word find book that I'd bought  last fall , but the puzzles were way too easy.  I wonder if  this word find book was supposed to be for children and was accidentally put in the wrong place at the store.

I also added some items that were laying on my work table,  and I used a paint pen to make the white dots on the craft paper. The little girl is floating in the middle of the right hand page, but it is a junk journal. And the fun part of making a junk journal (besides recycling all those bits and pieces you'd probably throw away) is that you can make your page however you want.

This week Rain's Theme is complementary colors, and since my page is lots of blue and orange, that is a good example of complementary colors. There is also a bit of green and red, 2 other complementary colors. 

I am also linking my page up to Valerie's Anything Goes challenge at Art Journal Journey.

I also want to add a tag for the newest challenge at Tag Tuesday. Sandie's is hosting this time around, and her challenge is your favorite theme.


One of my favorite themes is nature and another one is travel. One place I love to visit is the American Southwest, which is the inspiration for this tag. Hopefully I haven't shared this one before because I'd made it awhile back. 

And speaking of travel and nature, let me end this already long post with some manatee photos from back when I went to Florida in January. I'd never seen wild manatees before, so it was exciting to see them and check them off of my wildlife/ animal bucket list.


They aren't the most exciting of photos because I wasn't swimming underwater with them.



Since they stay underwater, sometimes all you see is the bump as they swim close to the surface. 


And sometimes they pop their tail out of the water.





And if you enlarge this one, you might see the nose out of the water getting a breath.


This is the canal where we saw the manatees. It's part of the Cape Canaveral wildlife sanctuary.


OK, I'll end this post here. Thanks for making it this far, and have great end of your week.








 

25 comments:

Tom said...

...the natural world is filled with wonder, enjoy it!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read that you were able to cross the manatee off your to see list, Erika, so I wondered if just seeing your photos would enable me to do the same😉 From what I read, it is becoming an endangered species.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think your tag is terrific, Erika. It is very reminiscent of the southwestern desert and appealed to me instantly. Great job! Hugs-David

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never seen a wild manatee...lucky you! The first page looks really nice..kinda sweet.

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your header.

I've never seen a live manatee, but every time I hear the word I thing of the Veggietales song "Barbara Manatee" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpcf_qD3GW4

Fun lol

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, the girl is too sweet and I love the colors (even the dog - and the cute doll!).
Full of wonder came out great, too.
Those manatees look quite mighty.
Yes, to a great end of the week, hugs

Christine said...

Lovely page and tag! A wild manatee..thanks for sharing.

The Padre said...

Outstanding - Dig The Banner Photo As Well

Cheers

The Happy Whisk said...

I loved the white dotts!!!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal spread is lovely, great colours and beautifully spotty and dotty, a!says my fave decorations! And thanks for making the fabulous tag for Sandie's challenge at Tag Tuesday. You have made me happy today, thanks! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the junk journal, first time im hearing about this. Enjoyed your tap snd your photos. Happy Thursday

Much💜love

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I adore these photos and your journal page is so cute, gorgeous!!!
Hug, Elke

Carola Bartz said...

My first thought that popped into my head when I saw your page was "cute". I really love your tag - like you, I love the American Southwest and your tag reflects this area so well. Wonderful that you saw a manatee - I've never seen one in the wild and can understand how exciting this must have been.

Neet said...

I don't think it matters that you can only see the hump of the manatees under the water - YOU saw them IRL! How fantastic. You must have been over the moon.
Love the junk journal, especially the little girl with her dog and companion. I am unsure who the companion is, is it a toy for her or the dog or even a younger child. Whatever it makes for interesting assumptions on my behalf and I can weave my own story around your page which is delightful.
HUGS, NEET XX

WendyK said...

Lovely journal page and tag Erika, great photos as well. Thank you for linking with us on Tag Tuesday, hugs Wendy

Aimeslee Winans said...

Colorful page and you made a little element cluster behind the girl so technically, she's not floating. :))) Nice tag too, reminds me of the Southwest for sure. And all the geckos that we get later on as things heat up. I like how you painted that cactus! Well, manatees have never interested me, but congrats for being able to check that off your list. XOX

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous junk journal page. Brilliant images! Your tag looks great. How exciting to see Manatees swimming!
Junk journals are perfect for Valerie's 'Anything Goes' AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to be so late. I'm still recovering from yesterday (grin). I love your junk journal spread. Lots of dots and circles which make it so cohesive. It's a lovely entry and perfect for Valerie's theme at AJJ.

That is a cute tag and reminds me of the southwest, a place I now you enjoy visiting.

I have never seen a manatee, and was so impressed that you had not only seen a live one, but was able to get photos of it, too. Hope you enjoy your weekend, dear.


Terra said...

I love manatees, they are so vulnerable to boat propellers so they need our protection. I still remember camping in the Everglades years ago.

carol l mckenna said...

Creative collage work and new header creation is awesome ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

pinky said...

I love your journal page, those pics are so gorgeous together, made me smile for sure. Your tag is very cool and thanks so much for sharing your manatee photos, wow!! Thanks for playing along with us at Tag Tuesday Erika.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love the idea of a junk journal and you make yours look really good ... love the white dots and the little girl with her dog. Your tag is awesome and definitely South western USA :) I haven't been to Florida for years (not since my parents passed), but I loved the Manatees and they were always being injured by people in speed boats not being careful of them. I hope they have brought that issue under control by now, though I have my doubts given the politics in their state. Loved the pictures though. Happy Spring, Erika ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rain said...

Thank you Erika for sharing the photos of the Manatees! How amazing!!! I LOVE your tag, it's very Van Gogh-ish! ☺

Michele said...

your journal page is excellent and so is the tag. i am headed to the american southwest soon myself so i love it extra! thanks for linking to tag tuesday! xo

Sandra Wright. said...

Thank you so much for playing along with my theme at Tag Tuesday with your awesome tag..I love it x