Monday, March 20, 2023

T Stands for a Traditional Rural New Hampshire Spring

 Hi everyone.  Happy Spring to you! ❤

It's already once again time for T over at  Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog .

Last week we a had a huge snowstorm on T day. We measured around 12 inches/ 30 cm of snow at my house, but the news reported that my town had 22 inches/56 cm.  I’m not sure where in my town the weather gauge is but there’s definitely a variation. (I do know how to measure, and we didn't get 22 inches.)  I'm personally not a fan of big storms in March because I want it to be more like spring, but they aren't uncommon to have. Luckily, with more hours of daylight and warmer temperatures  the snow is melting away. Fast! 😀

This past weekend was Maple Syrup Weekend in New Hampshire, a time for people to visit sugar houses during the maple syrup making season. I didn't visit any sugar shacks this past weekend, but I did 2 weekends ago. For T day let me share that fun adventure. 

You might remember  from last year  how my daughter's in-laws have a sugar shack. They tap maple sugar trees to make maple syrup. My husband and I were invited to spend a day with them in the sugar shack.  I like doing this because maple syrup season is a sign of  the  coming spring, and since it is such a traditional thing to do, it makes me feel part of the history of my area. 

One way to collect sap is with a traditional sap bucket. If you do this, when the sap is running,  you need to visit the trees daily to empty the sap bucket into another container. Then you bring that larger container with the sap back to be processed. If you keep the sap cold (like around the freezing point), you can store it a week before processing, but if it's any warmer you have to process it quickly.

Instead of buckets,  people with bigger sugar houses often use sap lines, which transports the sap through gravity feed back to a large container near the sugar house or to a  place where the sap maker can go and collect the sap.


The lines are certainly not very pretty, but depending on the size of tapping area and how much sap is running, you can have hundreds if not thousands of gallons of sap a day. 

It's always exciting to see the buckets and tap lines come out because it means (minus  big March snowstorms) that spring is on its way.

I've shown photos of maple syrup making before, but this year my daughter's in-laws have upgraded and have started to make syrup to sell. Last year when we went they had a small evaporator, but  they have now switched it out for this larger one. You can see all the steam coming off as they boil down the sap (to get rid of the excess water) in the open silver pans on top. It smells great 😀. And to keep the sap boiling you have to feed the woodstove (that you can see in the front) almost constantly so it stays red hot. 


This batch was ready to drain out of the evaporator. It took more than 1 kettle to do that.


Then they needed to check the sugar content as well as the density to be sure it was not too watery or not too thick.



After that, once the syrup cooled,  it needed to be filtered in their new filtering unit.(The unit is not actively filtering when I took this photo.) 


These next 2 photos shows all the bottles of syrup they made the day before we came out to visit. (And a kitchen roll/paper towel roll too-smile.)



They've been making about 25 gallons a day, and all these bottles are quart  bottles. For those of you not familiar with our crazy system of measurement, it takes 4 quarts to make a gallon. Maple syruping season is very busy for syrup makers, and you really can't control when the sap starts to run and when it stops running. That means you have to boil down sap daily while you are still getting sap.

And I did remember to get a drink photo for T this week. You can see my beer and my daughter's can of hard cider on the picnic table on the outside of the sugar shack.


We had a late winter outdoor bbq that day with hot dogs, hamburgers and salad. Boy did it all taste yummy, even if we still needed to wear our winter coats while we ate.

It was a nice visit, and I'm glad my daughter married into such a nice family. And it's nice that we can all get together sometimes too. So many nices, eh?

Have a great T day and week ahead. And as always, thanks for visiting my blog.








23 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

I remember your post from last year and I'm glad to see another one. This is such a fascinating process. What do they do IF the syrup is either too watery or too thick? Is there any way to "correct" this or does it mean that this batch of syrup is lost for selling? The bottles look beautiful, by the way. It seems your daughter's in-laws had to invest quite a bit for making maple syrup that they can sell. We usually don't notice all the work and expenses that go into this.

Lowcarb team member said...

A good maple sugar weekend ...

Happy first day of Spring (20 March) and have a great new week.

All the best Jan

Mae Travels said...

I love maple syrup — only the real kind, not the artificially flavored corn-syrup kind. I also love the pure maple candy but I don’t think anyone makes it any more, at least not for sale. Your photos are greaat!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

We love maple syrup-when I make pancakes that is what we use. One of the best maple syrups we received as a gift quite a few years ago was made in Pennsylvania is now almost gone-he gifted us a gallon I don't think I want to know what a gallon would cost now.
I enjoyed seeing the photos of the process-sounds like an exciting time.
Happy T and Happy Spring Hugs Kathy

Angie's Recipes said...

The maple syrup must have tasted particularly aromatic and great! Happy Spring, Erika!

Iris Flavia said...

This sure is some "hobby"! Again very interesting to see. And so nice those private manufactorys still exist.
And that you get along so well with your SIL´s family.
No such luck here and yet next Monday we are to visit them... wish me luck ;-)
Have a happy T-Day, I hope it warmed up. Here another cool, grey week is rolling in. Hugs

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - how fun to see all this in action. Her operation is so interesting and looks complicated. I am so impressed. Wish I had a bottle! Fun drinks too. Happy T-day and Happy Spring - hope it warms soon. Hugz

Valerie-Jael said...

That's really fascinating, how lovely to see the process. Thanks for sharing the photos, I've never seen anything like this before. A tiny bottle of maple syrup here costs a fortune! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Even within the Mennonite community around here we rarely see the old style metal buckets which seem so synonymous with collecting maple sap in the spring. Plastic pails and especially plastic pipes are just not the same. I bet most city kids haven't a clue how maple syrup is produced anyway. Hugs - David

CJ Kennedy said...

I have seen the sap buckets around town. Always exciting to see signs of Spring. How fun to be involved in a traditional thing. even better is that your daughter married into a nice family and that you are included in family activities. Now I want pancakes with lots of syrup! Happy T Day

Tom said...

...Iris told me that you had a sweet post today. Great minds must think alike, so do I! Have a sweet day, Erika.

one irrational bean said...

So interesting Erica. I have been curious about maple syrup tapping but had no idea how it was done. I always wonder about how people decided this could work and taste good! Happy T day, happy spring!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always love when you take us maple syrup hunting. Nice that the in-laws were so wonderful and shared the process with you. That must have been quite an investment. I hope they are able to recoup their investment. Seems it's a lot like what farming, where you only get paid when the wheat is harvested and sent to the grain elevator. Grain prices fluctuate, but maple syrup prices are probably less so.

How nice to have a picnic at the sugar shack and great that you shared your daughter's pale ale, along with maple syrup making with us for T this Tuesday, dear Erika.

Divers and Sundry said...

We're having rain. More rain *sigh* Your snow is sooo pretty!

I've seen photos and read books about sugar shacks and making maple syrup, though I don't remember seeing the lines. It must be nice to have maple syrup from your own trees. An outdoor cookout in cold weather is more a fall thing here. I've never done it in spring. Nice.

Happy T Tuesday!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, I couldn't even get halfway through this post, I had to get up and toast me a L'eggo and pour on some of the Wanish Sugar Bush Wisconsin maple syrup Honey was recently gifted. It sure was good! Honey's been looking for a good maple cream to buy, too. I seem to gain 5 pounds just smelling it, lol. Glad you had a fun family outing to take your mind off the winter weather a bit. XOX

jinxxxygirl said...

That was fascinating Erika! Thank you so much! So glad things are looking up for your daughter-in-law's and their business. Here's a funny tidbit... I decided not too long ago to look at the ingredients of our syrup bottles.. One is a sugar free one for me and the other Mrs. Butterworth.. I'm sure you knew but i did not.. neither one of those has any actual maple syrup in them!!! I did not know that! I'll bet you that i have never in my life had actual Maple syrup!!! I told hubby we need to fix that! lol Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Sharon Madson said...

I am ready for my pancakes and syrup now. When we went to Canaday we saw the process and had some candy right from an outside tray of some kind, too. Happy t day.

craftytrog said...

Such an interesting post Erika, the syrup making process is fascinating. Haven't had maple syrup in a long time, love it with bacon and pancakes!
Happy Spring!
Alison x

Jeanie said...

I love this post, Erika. I once visited a sugar shack which used the lines (in Pittsfield) and found the whole process fascinating. No wonder truly good maple syrup fresh from the shack is more expensive than crummy grocery store syrup. Which reminds me, it's time to make my maple oatmeal muffins again! Your photos are great and it's so well explained -- it reminded me of things I'd forgotten (and maybe didn't learn all that well in the first place!)

DVArtist said...

Wow this is an excellent post. I had no idea about the lines. The whole process is interesting. Glad you had that time to share with the DsIL. Oh the snow would set me into a low place. I am so waiting for some warmer weather.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love Maple syrup and this post is a fascinating look at the world of sugar shacks. How great to have a barbecue! Belated Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

What a fascinating post. I have never thought of a cottage industry making male syrup, I will look at it differently now when I see it on the shelves of the supermarket. Thanks for sharing and taking those photos for us all.
Hugs, Neet xx

Mrs.B said...

What a fabulous post Erika, I love maple syrup but have never seen the process before, it's so interesting.
Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend,
Avril xx