Monday, March 13, 2023

T Day Stands for Our Last Day in Florida

Hi everyone. Happy T Day.

We're in the snow zone - a big snow zone. The big Nor'easter is going to snow on us Monday night through Tuesday. Hopefully not into Wednesday either. I don't think spring is ever going to come to New Hampshire. 😩

Last week I was busy with appointments and a couple of fun adventures, but I never managed to get any photos of drinks to share over at   Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog for T this week. 😕

Since I don’t have anything new to share, and since March the lion is roaring at us in New England right now, let me write another post about my Florida trip which I took back at the end of January. 

The final stop on our Florida road trip  was to the Gulf Coast city of Fort Meyers. One place we  wanted to visit was the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Winter Estates. For those of you who may not recognize the names, Thomas Edison was a prolific inventor who developed the incandescent light bulb and worked on more user friendly versions of phonographs and motion pictures, as well as a few other items.  Henry Ford started the Ford motor company with his model A car, and he also developed the assembly line which dropped the price of cars to make them affordable to the general public.

These 2 men became good friends and  had winter homes next door to each other. These homes were built when Fort Meyers was just a cattle town with no paved roads and no major development. Actually Edison owned his home first, and when the owners of the next door estate put their property up for sale, Henry Ford bought it so he could spend some time with Edison. (Although Edison spent more time overall in Fort Meyers than Ford ever did.)

 These historic homes and gardens were really lucky to have so little damage during Hurricane Ian  last September. Hurricane Ian hit Fort Meyers basically dead on, and it was a  category 4 storm, which means winds reached 130-156 mph/ 209-251 kph.

Edison and Ford's Winter Homes are located on a tidal river and since the river flooded because of the storm surge, these buildings could have had a lot of damage. We saw photos that showed how the flooding and debris came right up to the porches on the houses, but the water spared the houses and the rest of the property. Our tour guide said what helped is that the houses are built back quite away from the river and also they are built a few feet up off the ground, which makes sense when you think about flooding.

Here's an exhibit the museum put up  near the river about the hurricane. You can see some of the items that washed ashore during the storm surge.


Here's a view of the homes. Edison's is the one closest on the left. (It also has the porch that connects  its 2 separate sides.) 

There's lots of palm trees in this photo for our lovely hostess Elizabeth too.

Where I stood to take this photo would have been under water during the hurricane, but as you can see the damage there was minimal. (Sadly, this is not true  for Fort Meyers Beach which is still a mess from when the hurricane came ashore. I can share some photos if people are interested.)

After we finished our morning at the Edison and Ford Winter Estates, we decided a good place for lunch would be at a nearby restaurant called Ford's Garage. We might as well keep some of the morning's theme going a little bit longer.



I love the door handle.
I had a yummy sandwich and two drinks which you can see in my next photo. 


The right hand drink with the straw is some unsweetened ice tea which I first ordered because I was thirsty. Then just before my sandwich arrived I ordered a Magners apple cider. Magners cider is from Ireland, and I like their hard cider because it is a bit tart. I'm not really a fan of sweet ciders.


I liked how this restaurant really had a garage feel including the napkin rings and the (clean) shop rags they used for napkins.



And  I took a photo in the bathroom because look at these cool sinks. Not that I want a tire sink at home, but they work great for this themed restaurant. 


It was a fun place to eat. This was just about the end of our trip. The next morning we were flying home. The last days of trips are always weird for me because it is always sad to be ending an adventure but also exciting to be heading home. 

If you're interested, I'm sharing some more photos of these 2 estates in a post tomorrow/Wednesday. 

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. 







21 comments:

Mae Travels said...

At Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MIchigan, there are many more facts about the relationship between Edison and Ford. Specifically, when buying all the historic buildings for his museum, Henry Ford moved Edison’s entire laboratory to the site. In the museum you can also see the camper and equipment they used when they went on camping trips together. I wasn’t aware of the houses in Florida, but I am not surprised that they were together — your photos are neat.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

wow so sorry you are getting allot of snow again-we are very cold here but no snow, we have had allot of rain.
when I was a kid my parents always planned very neat vacations to tour historic things and we camped and mom cooked all the food over the fire or on her camp stove We did visit the Ford museum in Michigan on one of those trips.
So good that the homes were not damaged from the hurricane.
the restaurant sounds really fun, I would like a hard cider like that too haven't seen that brand before. I loved the tire sinks too Happy T thanks for sharing Kathy

Angie's Recipes said...

I like the tire sink, but not something I would have at home. Just how creative the people are!

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful houses, and no, I had no idea these two were friends and lived door to door!
Very cool restaurant!. I like the Volkswagen hanging up there (kidding).
Very cool sinks!!
Yes, please, looking forward to tomorrow!
Happy T-Day and hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the restaurant you visited and the fun decorations they have there, all so well thought out! Cider is great, but very hard to get here. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I was looking at pictures of the damage caused by the recent hurricane to the area around Fort Myers and it is extensive to say the least. The article I read was really questioning the wisdom of rebuilding there. Based on current climate models the chances for another storm of catastrophic strength to strike the area before it has recovered from the last one is high. Ford and Edison may well join each other on the rubble pile! Hugs - David

nwilliams6 said...

The hurricane damage is so sad. Glad these historic homes survived though. I totally want to go to the restaurant - so fun. Love the sinks, napkins, and cool beers. Sounds like your trip was wonderful. Happy T-day and hugz to you, Erika.

CJ Kennedy said...

That's a fun restaurant. Heavy rain just turned over to snow. I wish you had showed pictures of the sun and beach. I could use them right now. Take care and be safe. I hope both of us don't lose electricity. Happy T and Pi Day

Christine said...

A nice look back at Florida. Until the March lion retreats.

DVArtist said...

So sorry that the storm is hitting you. Stay safe and of course warm. Love the photos and what a great place to eat.

R's Rue said...

Stay safe.

Jeanie said...

That looks like a fun restaurant. My friends more or less lost their entire home (they have the exterior walls) and say building back has been very slow. I really feel or those who suffered so with damage. I'm not sure I would have rebuilt in the same spot.

Carola Bartz said...

This is such an interesting post, Erika. I wasn't aware of the friendship between Edison and Ford. The homes look beautiful, I woul love to have a big porch like that. Good thing that the houses weren't damaged in the hurricane. I love the place where you had lunch, what a fun place! I'm veru fond of quirky places like that. The sinks are super fun. Thank you for sharing this with us.

jinxxxygirl said...

I enjoyed seeing pictures of your trip Erika! That restaurant is amazing. Love the attention to detail. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Rostrose said...

That was an exciting Florida throwback, dear Erika ❤️! Those beautiful historic houses of Edison and Ford - I'm so glad they survived the hurrian. I would love to see more of these winter homes!
The restaurant is really original - I like such appropriate details as the napkin rings, washbasins and e.g. the door handle!
All the best - Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/03/costa-rica-8-kapitel-nationalpark.html

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is my third attempt to leave a comment here. Somehow I missed these homes in FT. Myers. Ut was fascinating to read about the Ford-Edison homes and great to read they didn't sustain damages. And YES, I loved the line of palm trees. I would love to see the rest of the damage created by the hurricane.

What a fun theme restaurant. Got a laugh at the tires in th8e ladies room and the shop towels. So very clever and well thought out restaurant. Loved it. Thanks for sharing the sign, the palm trees, the homes, and the restaurant, as well as your tea and cider with us for T this Tuesday, dear Erika.

Kate Yetter said...

I hope you don't get all that snow! We had a bit this morning when we woke up but thankfully it wasn't much.
Loved seeing the photos of your trip. I had no idea that Thomas Edison and Henery Ford lived in Florida.
That restaurant is really neat, especially the tire sinks.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

Love the coasters. Happy T Day.

Divers and Sundry said...

New England weather is making our local news. Yikes!

What lovely homes! I can see spending many a happy hour on that porch. What a cool restaurant theme for that location. Even carrying it through to the bathrooms. Fun!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

If we ever revisit FL, the Edison and Ford homes and, of course, that restaurant would be the only things on my to see (shirt) list. While the loss of property was sad, FL is not on my favorite states list for a return visit in the near future aside from seeing family who live there.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A lovely history lesson - such a shame about the storm debris. The restaurant looks amazing. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx