Wednesday, February 14, 2024

All About Red

Hi everyone. Happy February 14th. If you celebrate Valentine's Day, I  hope you enjoy yours. I'm not a big celebrator of this holiday, but I love the shape of hearts. Even though I don't use that shape all the time, today I  have a lot of them in my art. šŸ˜‰

Since Valerie's challenge at Tag Tuesday is  Valentine's Day, let me share another tag I made.


I find red a color that doesn't always photograph as well as it looks in person, but I still like this playful tag. 

The background started with some pink ink, and then I dropped a couple of drops of red re-inker. I then sprayed the tag with water to moved the drops around, and I also held up the tag and rotated it a bit to make a nice grungy background.

I used a heart chain punch (an oldie from Martha Stewart Crafts) to punch out the upside hearts along the bottom. I also punched some out of pink paper and layered them along the bottom. I added the tiny confetti hearts inside each one.

The 2 bigger hearts are die cuts, as is the SWAK.  I added some hot pink sparkle to the bigger hearts, and also used a Sharpie and a white pen to create the border around them. The quote is an old stamp from Impression Obsession.


My other piece of art is a journal page I actually made last month for my calendar challenge and then never had time to share.  I am going to share it with Vicki's Keeping It Light challenge at Art Journal Journey because that bride's smile looks like it would light up a room. Now the groom on the other hand, he must be a shy guy and not like to pose for photos. Hopefully (since it's Valentine's Day) he's not having second thoughts already.


If candy and sweets are your thing for Valentine's Day, how about  sweets from Honeyduke's Candy Shop at  Harry Potter World in Universal Studios.










They're not exactly Valentine's Day traditional, I know. It was very tempting to buy a treat when I visited, but a butter beer ice cream was on my menu for later in the day. šŸ˜

Have a great LOVEly day.





20 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect that dentists rub their hands in glee at the prospect of all the extra revenue generated by Valentine’s Day. I will be giving a presentation/lecture today to what looks to be a large group based on the registrations. Maybe they’ll all bring candies for me! All the best - David

Angie's Recipes said...

So colourful and beautiful..I love the first page a lot.

Hels said...

The tall containers, filled with lollies, look very elegant. The longer and thinner the stem, the more refined.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, happy Valentine's Day! Thanks for making another tag for TaTu, much appreciated. Red is always a warm and beautiful colour. When spring comes I must dig my red jacket out again. Your journal page is great, too, and the Harry Potter sweets look tempting! What a great display. Have a happy day, hugs, Valerie

ashok said...

Colorful post...cheers!

Tom said...

...have a Happy Valentine's Day!

Barwitzki said...

I'm always reminded of Valentine's Day at the bakery because that's when they have the big pink cookies and little heart cakes... and I really like that again... I'm a cake and cake fan!!!
Many greetings to you.
I wish you a happy Valentine's Day. Lots of Love for you!

Jamie Ghione said...

I;m not very big on this holiday either, except for the candy and the hearts. Hearts are always a fun image ;)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Since you're not big on the traditional day, I will then wish you Happy Galentine's Day! ;-)
Your tag and page are delightfully heart-y. The bride is lovely. I think the groom looks nervous, perhaps hoping he performs well that night, heehee.
Do you remember the Drumstick ice creams with the waffle cones from our childhood? I'm having one now, lol. Yum! All that candy reminds me a lot of Willie Wonka's Factory. Hope you have some sun today, xoxo

DVArtist said...

I love your Valentine's card. It is so perfect. Ohhhh take me to that candy store. hmmmm butter beer ice cream? I have never heard of it but sounds really good. Happy Valentine's to you.

R's Rue said...

Happy day of love.

Jeanie said...

This is a perfect Valentine's Day post -- great art, sweet treats!

Iris Flavia said...

LOVE your work. We do not celebrate but Ingo once came home with a frozen, heart-shaped pizza (it tasted awful, LOL).
Oh, I lied, like in your work we (almost) celebrate it every day ;-)
Love the couple and your description as well!
Our pic looks the other way round ;-)
Also my friend picked my glasses. He had no idea and me no clue atm... the glasses turn dark in the sun. So I married in sunnies! Ingo was not happy with that!
Either way, to a LOVEly Thursday, hugs

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a colourful post.
Happy Valentines Day Wishes.

All the best Jan

Mae Travels said...

The Harry Potter themed candy from Honeyduke’s is great. I remember HP’s first intro to the chocolate frogs and other magical candies. Perfect for Valentine’s Day except maybe for the pumpkin/ witchy themed ones. I’d like the witch hat cupcakes. If I ever baked cupcakes I’d copy that idea. Our Valentine dessert was heart-shaped macarons from France, via Costco. Happy Day!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

sirkkis said...

Sorry I'm late in Valentine's. Hope it was great.
Love your beautiful, romantic art you created for it xx

*Vicki* said...

Oh my goodness! I'm eye-balling those sweets!! LOL How fun to be like a kid in a candy store! So many cool things! Although I'm in my 50s, I'm still dreaming of maybe someday going!

So for your hearts on a string AJ page...LOVE IT! The "kiss me" sentiment inside the heart reminds of that song...so now I will be singing it! Love your idea with that bride and I agree...light up a room!

Your tag is very sentimentally sweet and I love the mix of pinks in there with the red which is so fitting! Great post!

craftytrog said...

Beautiful tag art, and your AJ page is gorgeously romantic Erika!
We don't do Valentine's Day anymore, not after more than 30 years of marriage! Lol!
I used to love a candy necklace or bracelet as a child, and I still have a very sweet tooth.
Hugs,
Alison

Neet said...

Oh I do like the little rhyme on your tag, how cute is that - and so easy to say and remember.
Nice romantic page in your journal, the gingham heart reminds me of those sweets with the words on them. That lads you nicely into the sweetie world of Harry Potter. Love those lollies and the huge displays of candies. How I would love some of those glass jars myself, not bothered about the contents, just the jars. Fabulous shapes.
Butterbeer ice cream sounds wonderful.
Hugs, Neet xx

pinky said...

Wow your tag is absolutely gorgeous Erika!! Love the sentiment too. You have my mouth watering with all those goodies!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Tag Tuesday.
Pinky