Sunday, February 18, 2024

Harry Potter Journal

 Hi everyone. I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Mine has been "fairly" quiet, and yesterday I spent a lot of time on the couch reading. I'm actually hoping for another relaxing day today. 👍

Those of you who have stopped by my blog for a while might know I like to make journals when I get home from a trip. In my travel journals I include all kinds of paraphernalia I pick up, as well as other items. My trip to Universal Studios at the end of last month is also getting a journal.  I decided it would have an overall Harry Potter theme, since that is how we spent most of our trip. This journal has some paraphernalia  pages, but also some pages made with Harry Potter stickers. I had a book of stickers  that I bought a few years back at Costco, and they work  with the theme of this latest journal.

Here's the cover. I am using a little chipboard 3 ring binder that I painted Hufflepuff yellow (or what the most people would call mustard 😏.) I covered the binding with some brown book binders tape.


I added a Hogswart's sticker from the sticker collection, sanded the edges and then rubbed a bit of paint on those edges. The key is a souvenir I bought at the Gringotts (bank) store on my trip. I still need to add a title, but I haven't decided what or how I want to do that yet.

And this next page is my inner cover. You can also see I painted the inside of my actual cover green. That's because when I've been sorted in Harry Potter schools, I've been sorted as both a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin.  The green stands for the Slytherin and the yellow outside for the Hufflepuff.

(And if you're not into Harry Potter, sorting decides which of the 4 groups/houses within the Hogwarts school you belong.)


I made my page with some stamped stars, a die cut center block, some stickers, confetti dots and some smudging.


Since we rode the train between the 2 Harry Potter parks several times, I made a page using stickers, a stamped and fussy cut train and train ticket, a paper clock, a die cut pointing finger and a paper crown. I used a stenciling brush and a red ink pad to slightly smudge a bit of color on the background.

And on this next page I used stickers, an acetate frame as well as a white Posca paint pen and some little brown plastic dots.


In my travel journal, I try to make pages or include items that bring back memories. Hot butter beer was definitely something I wanted to remember.  On this next page I covered the background with  striped paper.  The cups are stamped, fussy cut and lightly colored with watercolor paint.  The butter beer heading is cut out of the koozie from an actual cup of butter beer I had. I also added a few other embellishments.


Some handwritten journaling, a big sticker, a small sticker and a stamped postmark are used on this next page.


And finally for this post (before it gets too long), I have a  page for  Vicki's Keeping It Light challenge at Art Journal Journey. This time I have a black and white(ish) page which I think shows the contrast between dark and light quite well.


We had lunch one day at the Three Broomsticks, which is what the above page is all about. I added the clock because neither my friend nor I were quite sure about the ordering process, and so a quick lunch took a lot longer than we planned. 

I die cut the center black and white paper as well as the fork from silver paper. The stars are hand drawn. The sticker is from my sticker book but I first put it on some black paper and then trimmed it. 

I have quite a few other pages done, but instead of making a long post, I’ll share those another day. 
I'm also linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles.

Enjoy whatever is left to your day. 








19 comments:

Tom said...

...we all need a ticket to joy!

Angie's Recipes said...

These are some really fun pages. I really want to try some butterbeer!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Sunday, I Love your newest journal-good memories and so fun too hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

Very, very, very cool, gosh, you are SO creative... it's a joy!
Thank you also for explaining and weeee, do I look forward to more! Hugs! To fun times!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your weekend plans sound similar to my own, Erika, as I have several library books to enjoy. I just finished listening to Meryl Strep read Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. This was only the second book of this author that I have read. The first was also an audio book of The Dutch House and it was read by Tom Hanks. I think my enjoyment was due to the narrators. Your trip journal was fun to see. Do you have plans to reread the books or re-watch the films now?

Christine said...

What a gorgeous journal Erika, a great way to treasure precious memories.

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a fun theme for a journal. I love all the HP stickers you used but my favorite is the owl, Hedwig. It reminds me of the costume I made for The Young One one Halloween. Stay warm!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is really wonderful, wow! I would have chosen the Gryffindor colours! I am really a bit jealous of this album, great! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

OMG your journal pages are gorgeous.
Happy Sunday.
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

Much♡love

Jeanie said...

This is just delightful, Erika! So personal and so Harry P! I love your cover!

Fundy Blue said...

Love your travel journal, Erika! I hope it helps keep your memories alive for a long time. Hot butter beer, that's novel! I bet it would be delicious on a frigid day. Enjoy your week! Hugs!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wow, you were Johnny on the spot with this journal! Why am I wanting to guess you began it before you left, haha. You are a bonafide HP freak and more power to you. Me, I am admitting an urge to eye roll a bit, but only good-naturedly. I just never was into it. Glad you had fun at Universal Studios though. It's much more fun than Disney since we are no longer 8 years old. Well, we had more fun there anyway. Love how your journal's turned out and hope you have a good week ahead. We warm up to almost 80 on Thursday, then a cool front. And right now it's 38 degrees. Crazy! XOXO

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks fantastic! And interesting to hear you had the same type of snow that I saw. It must have been the right atmospheric conditions for that. Usually we get the heavy, wet (cement) snow where I am. :-( Is it Spring yet?

Have you seen any Robins in your yard? I did the first week of February. I always think of them as the first sign of Spring. Then Mother Nature decided to drop some white stuff, to show who's in charge. :-)

DVArtist said...

Wow! These are just fabulous. I can see Harry Potter effects you in so many good ways. That's a nice thing to possess. Have a lovely evening.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a fabulous journal, well done :)

All the best Jan

*Vicki* said...

Wow! I really love your Harry Potter themed journal! What a brilliant way to remember your fun times from your trip! Really love your idea with the contrast of light and dark...it's perfect and brilliant! So glad you've shared this wonderful inspiration as I enjoyed your post! :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although I know nothing about HP, I adore your journal. So well done.

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's great to see your travel journal pages! It must have been a great place to visit! Great for Vicki's AJJ theme too! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

I am looking forward to seeing the next pages in your Harry Potter journal. I love the cover, that key is fabulous (I have a thing about keys)and works so well with the picture.
Not sure which house I would want to be in but not the one Draco was in. Think I need to get my Harry Potter books out and join you on the couch for a good read. Maybe with a butter beer or two.
Hugs, Neet xx