Sunday, September 1, 2024

September

     Hi everyone.  Happy September. This year is flying by, and we’re now in meteorological fall with the actual season coming in a few weeks. Plus I have only 1 day left of my summer job at the lake. I don't know about you, but I’m wondering what happened to the first 8 months of this year. Grin.

     The new month means a new challenge at Art Journal Journey. First let me once again thank Jo for hosting. It was a great theme, and I enjoyed everyone’s take on wild. ❤ Plus I had a lot of fun myself. My art was almost the most wild thing about last month - ha ha. 🤪

     For this new month, I want to welcome back Aimeslee. You might know her from her blog Paper Paisleys Art Adventures Blog. She joined us last year for the first time, and we’re glad she wanted to be back  this year as a host.  This month I think everyone will like Aimeslee’s challenge which is

ANYTHING GOES

     For my first entry, I want to share a spread from a journal that I’ve been working on for awhile now. It’s all about gardens, harvests and even a bit of down on the farm.I'be been having so much fun making it I even added an extra signature of pages to it.😀 Although I’m not finished yet, let me first share the cover as it is right now, and then I’ll share my 2 page spread. 


I started with an old cookbook  that I removed the pages and the spine from. I liked some of the already-on- the-cover art, so after adding a bit of gesso, I sponged on some blue and yellow paints on the parts I didn't want to keep. I liked the "handwritten" word and also the edges of the recipe cards that were printed on the book's cover, so I left those showing.  Then I added an old copy of a photo and  white stacked frames around it. I also added the little garden plant marker (that I darkened a bit) and the canning jar label.  The photo, the label and the plant marker were in my stash and were part of a garden ephemera set I bought off of Etsy several years back when I first thought about making this project. (Yes it’s taken me a while to get around to it. 👍)


And here's my first page for September's  Anything Goes AJJ challenge.

     Instead of doing anything to the background, I left it plain. I layered some old seed packets, a tag and some bits of paper. I stamped a tractor on some acetate and put it over one of the seed packets.  I also stamped, colored and fussy cut the 2 chickens.  The beans label was cut out of a sheet of paper, the sun is a piece of chipboard, and the acetate flowers were in my stash. I stamped the little chicken feet around the bottom of my page, and I also made a tag (which I'll show some other time) to slide into the right hand seed packet. The last thing I did was stamp the words Farm Fresh at the top of the right hand page. 

   Before I wrap up my post I also need to mention the dreaded rules. At AJJ we only accept art journaling, but the form of art journaling is up to you. No tags, cards, ATC's and other art forms please. 

     I hope you're as excited as I am for Aimeslee's Anything Goes challenge, and I also hope you'll join us at AJJ.   Have a great start to September too.

     And I'm not forgetting about the fact that it's Sunday Smiles  at Gillena's blog either.  I'll also be linking this post up there.



 

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope this publishes. You may have taken awhile to start this book, but the cover and the first two page spread are over the top. I love this book already and can't wait to see where it goes from here. Thanks for this amazing first entry using Aimeslee's theme at AJJ.

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed joining you last month! Wow, you're old cookbook pages are stunning, I love the garden theme as would my sister as she's the amazing gardener in our family - perfect 😊. Happy September! Hugs, Jo x

Angie's Recipes said...

Both pages are absolutely beautiful...I love esp. the farm fresh one...so lovely.

Tom said...

...remember, you reap what you sow.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, and I love the idea of growing big dreams! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good Morning, Happy first day of September. I am loving the theme of your new journal. The cover and two page spread are really wonderful. Hugs Kathy

Jeanie said...

I love both these pieces. This will be a fun theme!

R's Rue said...

Happy September. May it be filled with many wonderful memories.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Mae Travels said...

I enjoyed seeing your art work — I like the farming theme. I also enjoyed the photos of statue’s faces in your previous post. Have a great September.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Perfect theme for the harvest season. I really like what you did to the cover. Good day today to stay inside and make art.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Erika, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this book, what I see here is fabulous. I love how you added the tractor so that the green beans still show! Hoping to get my act together this month - been having a tough time but hopefully all sorted now! I will have to clear my Art room up a bit first though!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Gillena Cox said...

Happy September. Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

much♡love

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy September! Happy Autumn!

I like the idea of repurposing books like that. Nice.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like both of these.
Happy September to you.

All the best Jan

Jamie Ghione said...

Yeah, I can't believe it's already September.

Aimeslee Winans said...

What a great idea for a journal! Love the cover and your spread, too. Collage is always a great idea, especially for vintage items. Thanks for the host welcome, XOX

Neet said...

I thought it a shame not to include the cover of your new journal - that is really good use of a cover and some of the things on it originally., Love thje photo of the girl in her dungarees. She looks so happy.
Two great pages follow and i can see this is going to be a much loved and used journal. Those seed packets are great and I just love the fowl.
Hugs, Neet xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Erika, happy new month! I am also wondering what happened to the first 8 months of this year because I have spent most of them hobbling about "housebound", and missed so much! Hopefully not for much longer though and at least I can make art now. Thanks for visiting the other day, and I hope you like the book if you try it.

I really love the cover, it's so cool and looks like it could be a really great book inside. Love the gardening theme inside, makes me miss my poor neglected garden, and the chicken feet! Here's to a great month, I have some ideas now that my brain is working again lol