Thursday, October 5, 2023

Dressing in the Right Gear

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday to you.

Today I'm sharing 2 spreads that I made back in August in my bee journal. If you look carefully, you can see why I am calling this post dressing in the right gear.



I added quite a few snippets  out of a bee keeping magazine on both pages. I also added some chipboard images  as well as some stamped pieces. I left the background white, but after everything was added to the page, I used an old tape roll as a stamp. Using some  yellow paint I added a bunch of  circles. I also splattered some yellow and brown watercolor over my background. 

On the second page you can see an image of a beekeeper all decked out in their gear: the suit, the hat and the gloves. I never wear gloves because my hands are small and I can't find gloves that actually fit, but I definitely wear the rest of the gear when I go into my hive.  Once you give the bees a few puffs of smoke they ignore you, but some of that has to do with the variety I have in my hive. Some varieties are not so docile.

On this second spread you can also see a stamped card image as well as my update from one of my August bee checks.

And since this second page has someone dressed in beekeeping gear, I am linking up to Neet's challenge at Art Journal Journey. You probably guess that this month the challenge is In Gear. 

Last week I added the mouse guard to the main opening of the beehive. When it gets cold, mice try to get into hives because the bees keep it toasty warm inside. No one wants mice in their hive. However, the ladies who had been out foraging when I added the guard came back and had a "HUH? What is this? " moment when they noticed it in front of the entrance.

The mouse guard is the metal piece with all the holes in it. Those holes are where the bees go in and out. 



These 2 in my photos were just a few of the many who did the same thing. It was fun to watch them maneuver their new doorway. When I went out  last Saturday to check  on their food level, I  noticed they all had the mouse guard holes down pact. 

I also took off the inside bee feeder because with the sticky fall food (it's 2 parts sugar to 1 part water) too many bees were getting stuck on the syrup and dying. I decided  to use  my little outside feeder, and it didn't take them long to find the food. Plus since it is external to the hive, I can see when it needs filling, which has been like every 3 days. 


And not only the honey bees are buzzing around in the warm afternoons, but the wild bees are out there also.



And there's been a lot of caterpillars around lately too.

This one that's  boldly colored was in my garden one afternoon. It's the caterpillar of the hooded brown owlet moth.


And here's a wooly bear one I found all curled up. These guys crawl under leaves and debris to spend the winter. During that time they actually freeze solid, only to hatch in the spring  I don't always touch caterpillars, because some of them  can cause skin reactions, but there are a lot of these wooly bears, and I know they are ok to handle, but just for a moment of course.


This next caterpillar is a hickory tussock moth caterpillar.  They feed on leaves from trees including but not only species other than hickories. 


And finally, just down the road I found this guy also. I'm not sure what species he is, but I did notice the pair of "eyes" behind his head. Not real eyes, but most likely to scare off anything that might think about eating it. 


I hope you didn't mind all the creepy crawlies in today's post. 

Thanks for visiting, and have a bee-utiful day.










15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So many signs of fall, Erika. I am happy that all is well in the hive, and have my fingers and toes crossed for the occupants to survive the winter. The mouse guard looks like an effective device. Was the honey yield good this year? Hugs- David

Angie's Recipes said...

That caterpillar looks really creepy. The bee pages are wonderful, Erika.

Tom said...

...entomology was never my thing.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely to see the spreads from your bee journal, and to learn a bit about how you are caring for them. Mice in a beehive? That does sound strange. And bee keepers have to be in gear! The caterpillars are fun to see, I've never seen a colourful one like that. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

I am fascinated by your bees. And the guard is a smart thing -- apparently the bees are smart, too, and got it figured out. The caterepillars are lovely. will you get some honey this year? I know last year you used the combs (?) to continue growing the hive.

Neet said...

Caterpillars are one type of creepy crawley I don't mind. What a beautiful colouring the first one has and the furry one is fascinating. I have really enjoyed your knowledge on these critters. Thanks.
Also enjoyed your knowledge and further talk about your bees. I can't see me ever wanting to keep them myself but I find your bee journal and the dialogue utterly fascinating.
Love the new 'bee flap' (as in cat flap), it must have been a real insight into the bee habits to watch them puzzling out how to get back inside. The only bit I didn't like was hearing that some died from getting stuck in the syrup.
It was good to hear you matching your page showing someone wearing the 'right gear' to attend to the bees. Thank you for that and for the fab pages which are instructional to you and still artistic. Love the pentagon shape, especially when it is used alongside anything to do with bees and that little hive by the tick list over the bee-keeper.
Thank you so much for an enjoyable ten minutes or so and for joining in my theme once more. Really appreciate all the work you put in to your journals.
Hugs, Neet xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I had never considered the need to protect against mice! I'm a big fan of native bees, and it's sweet that they benefit from the flowers and food you provide :) I've never seen such a colorful caterpillar.

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos and lovely pages. Never thought of mice in a bee hive.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Last week, I saw a lot of the woolyy caterpillars when we were in Maine for a couple of days, but I haven't seen any of them or any others that you showed here in our part of NH.

Gillena Cox said...

OMG!!!
Your bee post is amazing

Happy Friday

much💛love

Empire of the Cat said...

Ooh fun pages, love the bees and the beekeeper dressed in his/her gear. You don't wear gloves! I love all the caterpillars, not seen anything like those here. Just remembered there's a woman on instagram who rescued a bee with one wing and feeds it fresh flowers every day. If I find the link I will link it on my post today. Happy Friday!

Aimeslee Winans said...

What an awesome bee journal spread, Erika! Love it. The colors are perfect but one boo: I thought that was you in the photo! Cool wildlife photos, that's a lot of caterpillars! We've been getting a lot of migrating ruby-throated hummingbirds but I suspect with our cool front this weekend, that will end. Sure hope you don't get deluged from that storm, I forget, is it Philippe? So weird, they are saying one is coming from the Pacific across Mexico into the Gulf of Mexico next week. I've never seen that before! XOX

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your bee journal pages ...
Many thanks for all the bee and caterpillar photographs.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

It's great to see the wildlife in your garden! Love your bee journal! Hope the mice get the message! Hugs, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

a fun version on To bee or not to bee. :)