Thursday, October 26, 2023

Steampunk

 Hi everyone.

 I am back once again with another piece for Neet's challenge at Art Journal Journey. I wasn't certain when I started making pages for this In Gear challenge  how many pieces I would end up having.  I guess I really had fun because I still have quite a few pages to get in before October ends. 

Today's page is a double spread. I'm  loving this  smaller sized journal because it's nice not to have to fill so much space on the page. 😏


This spread began when I  took some old style printed advertisement paper pieces and  used them to cover the background on both sides of my journal. After that I added a couple of scraps of darker paper just for a bit of contrast. Next I took some purple paint and sponged it over my background paper. Once that dried I added  a bit of stenciling  and the bird, which is cut out of a page in a magazine.

The bird was not steampunk style when I added him, but I'm back to that sheet of leftover stickers (that I've used so often this month). I added the little silver dots and half of a hinge. The hat is also a sticker from another sheet. I also gave the bird a couple of legs and an eye, as well as drawing in some lines to stand for feathers on the wing.

I then added the big sticker frame on the left (from another very old sheet that coordinates with all the hardware) and the tab sticker on the right. On the left I added a TH girl, and I gave her some metal style sticker buttons, and also a mask.  I used a couple of flower images to frame her, as well as another sticker  and a chipboard gear that I inked with black, brown and rust ink pads. I finished off my page with more stickers and some lace washi style tape, all oldies from my stash. 

The right side has a lot of stickers  also.


I couldn't find a stamped or sticker quote that excited me, so instead I wrote in "Sassy and her bird love steampunk". I finished by adding some chipboard gears, since this challenge is In Gear



It's a busy this week  so that’s  all for me today. Hope your week is going well.



17 comments:

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous and creative pages! Loving the background of colour and Sassy and her bird are perfect together 😊. I hope you're having a good week and sending you hugs, Jo x

Anonymous said...

Very nice pages -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...steampunk is something that I've never gotten into.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your pages remind me of Halloween meets Steampunk. So fun! I hope you enjoy the weather the next few days!

Angie's Recipes said...

A very creative page! I love that bird.

Iris Flavia said...

Sassy is a very cute steampunk-rebel!
Yes, I know what you mean with so much space.
Great pages!
Yes... busy here, too, hope you have a great day anyways, hugs

Jeanie said...

Purple is such a good Halloween color. I love how you used it here!

craftytrog said...

A fabulous spread Erika! I love Sassy and her bird!

Neet said...

I love how you tied this entry for my theme at AJJ into Halloween with that terrific background where you used some purple paint. It makes the contrasting papers merge much more effectively - great thinking.
Your bird is fabulous, I love how you thought about using a hinge for his wing and the studs. They give him a real steampunk vibe.
You seem to have some great TH dolls, I have never seen her before but she is just right for this page, especially now you have added a mask to her, and perfect sitting in that oval frame, the addition of the flowers softens the edge just that right amount.
Another great page Erika, thank you so much for all these entries for AJJ.
Hugs, Neet xx

Carola Bartz said...

I'm not into steampunk, but I do like your journal spread. My favorite definitely is the bird! Great idea to add the hat to the bird.

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous spread, love the colours! Have a wonderful day, hugs, Valerie

Open Your Heart to Gardening said...

Lovely use of colors and other items.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love these colours! Sassy and her bird are wonderful, great addition of the stickers! Another brilliant page for Neet's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

Food Blogger said...

Love the colors. So much creativity.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Erika, love Sassy and her Bird and how you "steampunked them up" for the theme, they look great. Isn't it good to rediscover old stuff that you can use up on pages creatively. Hope you have a nice weekend. ~elle xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

The colors are pretty and I love the addition of the flowers to her frame. Yay for handwriting the sentiment, we should do it more often, xoxo

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your bird's hat. I don't think I could pull it off... but it'd be fun trying :)