Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Magic Hat

 Hi everyone. It's another middle of  the week again. This week it's cooled off and feels like fall. Last week it had felt like summer again. Now that it's cooled off I'm back outside doing some more fall garden clean up. Last week it was too nice outside to work, and I enjoyed what will probably have been some of my last days in the screen porch for 2023. 

Today I have a silly page to share for Neet's In Gear challenge at Art Journal Journey

To  make my page I first covered the journal page with some old fashioned advertisement paper. Then I inked it with brown and black inks. 

Next I die cut the hat as well as the gears and some other bits. The hat was die cut from black paper, and I wanted it to look worn, so I crumpled it up before I glued it down on my page. I also inked it a bit too. I'm very happy with how it came out.

This steampunk and top hat die set  comes with 3 sizes of the hat. I think it is made so you can use the hat as a card and layer it. The hat die I used is actually the smallest sized one, and  as you an see, it's a really nice size image.


I used a silver Sharpie to color in the top and the band of the hat. I also used the silver Sharpie to color in the gears that I cut apart  and put together to make the glasses. In those glasses I added some of those crazy googly eyes.  The other die cut gears I tried painting with silver paint, but my paint was at the bottom of the bottle and  wasn't very good. To give them some depth I used a bit of a bronze Sharpie on them.

I also added a very old keyhole sticker as well as some screw top stickers.. These stickers are both from the same set, and I like how they worked to decorate the hat. The stickers were silver, and I inked them a bit to make them look more rusted. I've had this sticker set for over 20 years, and there aren't many stickers left on the backing sheet. (Oh no!)

Finally I used some other stickers to make my quote, and I also added a sticky cloth applique with those heart sunglasses.

Last week, as I've already mentioned, we had some nice summery days, and one morning I took a trip to my local botanical garden. I decided to go by myself, because what I really wanted to do was take photos without being distracted by conversation.  It's amazing what you can see when no one is talking to you. Grin.

The woman who originally owned the gardens and who still lives on the property is a sculptor. She likes to use all kinds of metal bits and pieces to create her art, and that art is all over the gardens. I've shown you some before, but to refresh your memory, here's a few  pieces.


This bird was never colored before, but it's been recently painted.


And these old saw blades make a cool hanging sculpture.



I'll share more sculptures and plants  in another post, but what I really wanted to share was the boneyard of supplies and parts.  The boneyard pieces are all tucked in a section up near the house the artist and her husband live in. The boneyard makes the divider between the public garden and the owners private space.

These boneyard  photos are perfect for Neet's theme at AJJ.


I love the natural lighting on this next photo.







And I wonder what these newer additions will be used for. They are definitely newer since they weren't covered with natural growth and  leaves.


Perhaps when the gardens are closed the artist and her doctor husband shoot a few rounds of golf around all the planting areas in the gardens. ๐Ÿ˜€ I will say this boneyard collection makes me feel better about all the paper ephemera I have piled all over my happy space. ๐Ÿ˜

That's all for me today.  Have a great day.






19 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The sculptures in that garden look really nice. I have seen something similar in one of our parks here...fascinating that you could turn almost everything into art.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful place you visited, I like the collections of 'junk' nicely repurposed, great idea. And being alone is much better for taking pictures, that's true!! Your journal page is funn, love it. I have a hat like that from a fancy dress party some years back! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...thanks for sharing the found art. It's right up my alley.

Jeanie said...

Your steampunk hat is a very clever idea! That's a beautiful botanical garden. I'm hoping to get to one of our next week when I get back home.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I know what you mean about having no one to distract you. We have a couple of friends, both women, who like to go birding with us, and it happens every couple of weeks or so. I have basically given up on the idea that we are birding, because it basically turns into a gabfest. Sometimes the three ladies walk ahead a little and I hang back. Once, they walked right past a Barred Owl, but were very happy when I called them back to see it. The gabfest resumed immediately! Hugs - David

Iris Flavia said...

I absolutely LOVE your funny hat! Very Steam Punk :-)
And a wonderfully arty garden, too.
We have only boring, serious stone figures in ours... To a nice day, hugs

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fun page, it really made me smile and is perfect for Neet's challenge ๐Ÿ˜Š. Loved seeing all the sculptures, those rusty gear and cogs look amazing. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

sirkkis said...

I love the eyes peeking from the fun hat ๐Ÿคฉ A nice take on the them overall๐Ÿ‘
Great gear photos.
Have a nice evening ๐Ÿ˜˜

Neet said...

Those photos are 'gear heaven' - how fabulous a find are they? As you say, perfect for my theme. I am sure you can use them in some way to do another page for my theme at AJJ. Thank you so much for sharing them.
Thank you also for the most crazy delightful page. I love it!!! What a brilliant idea. I love everything about it, those eyes and the glasses, the keyhole everything about that top hat is brilliant. The advert paper is perfect as the background and I love the added mesh piece underneath the words. Great gears and screw heads, in fact great everything!
Thanks for this page it made me laugh out loud when I saw it.
Hugs, Neet xx

Christine said...

Nice page and interesting photos

Divers and Sundry said...

I want room for more metal sculpture. And bigger. These are wonderful!

Aimeslee Winans said...

A very fun journal page just perfect for Neet's theme. And what great photos, those gears and wheels are awesome. What stories they could tell about their pasts! We've been rainy and cool down here. Tomorrow our lawn guy comes and luckily we'll have 12 hours to dry out so he won't be rained out. Speaking of no rain-outs, lol, Astros baseball play-off game on all TV's here, Honey has to have it on. I'm missing my music! haha XOX

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Love those boneyard photos. I could dig through there for hours looking for treasures!

CJ Kennedy said...

Your steampunk top hat is very cool. How fun to have stuff to make sculptures. I think the bird would look great in my Zensical garden. I'm sad to see the warm weather go away. Sounds like a nice day on Thursday. 10 or 15 degrees warmer and it would be perfect.

Empire of the Cat said...

Awesome Erika! Love your steampunk hat, all the bits and pieces you added to it, the googly eyes, the keyhole, all wonderful. About your stickers, do you have a printer? If so, maybe you could photocopy what's left of your sticker page on to sticker paper? Also all those metal sculpture things would make great collage paper, especially the first one. I would enlarge that photo and then print it out on A4/Letter paper to use in a journal :)

Christine said...

Lovely sewing you do and the gardens look wonderful.

Gillena Cox said...

WOW your magic hat has eyes, how cute

Much๐Ÿ’›love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am in LOVE with your steampunk hat. The keyhole sticker is a great addition. I really love all the cogs and gears. They are just remarkable.

I am in love with the saw blade sculpture. I like the design and the composition. The boneyard is a place I could get lost in and find myself creating 3-D art forever.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fun journalist you page for Neet's AJJ theme! The boneyard looks like the sort of thing my son would keep. Hugs, Chrisx