Sunday, October 1, 2023

October is Here

Hi everyone. Happy October.

It's hard to believe we're already in month 10 of this year. October is  usually a lovely month  at my spot on the planet (even though we did have a blizzard at the end of October maybe 10 years ago), and  it is one of my favorite months of the year. It's also usually a busy month for me, and this year that is already shaping up to be true.

Since it's a new month, that means it's time for a new challenge at Art Journal Journey First let me once again shout out to Elle with a big thanks for hosting last month. And thanks again to all of you who joined us for her challenge.

This month we have a new host. If you visit the link ups at AJJ you probably know Neet, who is a regular Thursday participant with her snarky quote pages. Neet is very talented and has more up her sleeve than snarky quotes, and this month she is our host. Her theme is

In Gear

Think steampunk, mechanical, things that use (or used) gears to run, equipment you might need or use for some activity, or anything else you can think of that works. Here's my first page for this challenge.


Do you know how to drive a car where you have to shift gears? I wanted this car to be  almost at the top of the hill so George, the driver, would  have downshifted gears to make it  up over the rise. He's almost there.

George looks a little weird in this close up as his arm is going in a direction that most of us cannot move, and he isn't facing forward. It was hard to find a photo of someone that fit this die cut car and  was going the right way, so I chopped him up and made him work the best I could. Well it is October and that means Halloween is coming so I guess you could say I Frankenstein him together. 😩


My background is just lots of scrap pieces of paper. I drew in and painted the hill, die cut George's car, added chopped up George as well as some doodled and painted clouds, and then I glued down the gold metallic paper sun. Finally I stamped a card style quote on the grassy part of the hill. 

Just a brief reminder about the rules at Art Journal Journey. Those rules  specify NO cards, tags, ATC's or any art that is not a journal page. We do accept any form of art journaling however.

I hope you're IN GEAR for this new challenge and join  Neet and us admins at AJJ.
Have a great start to the new month also.

And let me add, I am joining Gillena's Sunday Smiles



 

21 comments:

Neet said...

Erika - I just LOVE chopped up George! What a brilliant idea and I think it works really well. In the first picture it just looks as if he has turned his head and is looking at us.
I love the diecut car too, so useful.
That is a great background with the different papers, and the dotty one is so suitable for this month with Halloween coming up and all the pumpkins.
Great to see the sun above the clouds and I love your choice of words.
Thanks for joining in with my theme at AJJ.
Hugs, Neet xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's a really unique take on Neet's theme, Erika. I really like the guy in the car (I am a person who buys cars with gear shifts), even though he has a rather different way of driving (grin). This is a fun first entry for Neet's theme at AJJ, dear.

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page Erika! I love your scraps background and the old car.
A great new challenge from Neet.
Happy October!
Alison

Iris Flavia said...

Love George Frankenstein! And the theme, of course.
I love steampunk but Braunschweig has no scene that I know of, sadly. (Plus I hate to dress up, I´d only be the admirer).
Sure. I grew up with gears. Dad taught me to drive at age 14 and I hate automatic cars.
Back in the day you had no control, I think it may have changed. My T loves automatic, Ingo´s has gears to shift.
To a nice October, hugs

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous classic for Neet's 'In Gear' theme! I love those clouds something we have been grateful for while away - not that I would complain about day after day of sunshine but we were quite happy to see clouds floating by! The clouds when we got back to England have a lot of rain in them - we're home!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your page with the vintage car. I always had cars with gear-shift, I don't like automatic. I suppose if you grow up with a certain type it's hard to change! Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy October, Erika! Love that car...you don't see white cars often.

Empire of the Cat said...

Thanks Erika, glad you enjoyed my theme last month (sounds weird when it was only yesterday). Love George in his old car, I hope he makes it up the hill. I would say that over here most people drive manual cars unlike in the US. I have driven an automatic but I always feel like there's something I should be doing lol. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Christine said...

Lovely page for the new challenge! Happy October!

Tom said...

...have a fabulous October.

Iris Flavia said...

Erika, upon the school cone.. this is really all I got!
You got this once you entered school... So... I am sorry, no post to follow this! It is a once in your lifetime-thing...
I made a small one for big Niece and a mini-one for little Niece for big Niece´s first day of school and that was that (I was not even invited for little Niece´s first day at school).
Parents and Great-parents provided some too, so I scaled down a bit (I payed the restaurant-visit for the whole bunch!!! New to me! Bummer that was! But I could afford it. Times are a changing!).

Jeanie said...

Steampunk was never a trend I was good at. I like this one a lot!

CJ Kennedy said...

I think you did a great job with the page. Love the model T and George is just perfect for a Frankenstein vibe. Some nice weather coming up this week. Looking forward to a taste of Summer. Enjoy your weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

Yes indeed October is here. Thank you for linking to SundaySmiles

Much💛love

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic art journal page. And I can't believe it's October already. 3/4 of the year is over. It flew by.

Did you get a lot of rain the other day, or were you far enough east of the storm, that you got spared the deluge? Wow, just wow!

DVArtist said...

I really love this page Erika. Brilliant! I am so glad it is OCT. I can't wait for this year to be over. It has been a rough one for me. Hope your day is a good one.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Heehee, poor George. Really, I wouldn't have known, he looks appropriate. Nice page and I didn't know you have to down shift. It's really flat where I live, lol. We do have freeway overpasses though but I guess that doesn't count. ;-)
I do get really excited whenever we've traveled to somewhere hilly. Hope your week goes well, xoxo

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy October! I love this background. I think the background could stand as a work of art on its own.

sirkkis said...

Nice idea for 'in gears' 👍
The white car looks good against the colorful BG.
Have wonderful October my friend 🧡🍂😘

Rika said...

great page, so many details to löök at.

2amscrapper said...

Very clever take on the challenge